collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sought after ponies that you're not a fan of  (Read 2244 times)

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sought after ponies that you're not a fan of
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
I'd buy Rapunzel if her price came down, but I'm not particularly attracted to her and I'm definitely not crazy enough about her to buy her in the $400+ range.

I feel like I should like Red Roses more than I do because I love yellow ponies, but I'm not keen on Perfume Puffs.

I really like some of the other slightly quirky, sought after ponies like Munchy and Nightglider, but I feel like their prices have gotten way out of hand on ebay lately and are making them seem less attractive.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »
probably say, pretty much all of them.
i mostly like babies, so i'd rather have a baby custom of the expensive pony, than the actual pony.
unless i can sell it of course. :P

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »
Rapunzel - I like her colours and symbol but would like her much better with regular length straight pony hair, and will probably commission a custom of her someday. A few other MOs - Mommy and Baby, Sugarcake and Gametime don't appeal to me. Munchy is cute and unique but I just don't get the hype for her. I found her cheap at a market and am keeping her, because I would never shell out for her at current market costs! Tropical Ponies and their Tropical Babies don't appeal to me but I know others are crazy about them and keep the market going. Seaponies of all kinds don't appeal to me at all either, and when I see their shells and floats going for $50-100 and above I just shake my head in wonder at the variety of different collectors and their interests we have.

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 11:37:54 PM »
I thought Rapunzel was great when I was little but that price on her now irks me away from adding her to my wishlist. Not too keen on Sweet Scoops either, I love her symbol and  colors but she doesn't have that wow factor except for her price you find her for now.

AlmostApplejack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 12:49:13 AM »
Piggie ponies -dodges fakies-

I don't know, they just seem so odd to me and don't even feel like MLP and I would only buy one if it was cheap just to say I had one ^^;

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 02:05:49 AM »
Oh, I forgot piggies. Add them to my list of not convinced ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 02:27:22 AM »
Oh, if Nirvanas count, yes, those too. I think most of them look really cheap and sloppy. I love some of the designs, but the different kinds of plastic and the sloppy painting puts me off. There are a few I'd love to have, but if I actually got them it would still bug me that they don't look "good enough". XD

I especially can't stand Italian ponies. I always find lots of them at the big fleamarket, usually in horrible condition too. Then I go like "OMG, Bubbles! YAY!  :newpony: Oh wait... Crap.  :| It's an Italian.  :wail:"

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 04:54:57 AM »
Seashell. Drab colours don't do it for me.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 05:23:34 AM »

I especially can't stand Italian ponies. I always find lots of them at the big fleamarket, usually in horrible condition too. Then I go like "OMG, Bubbles! YAY!  :newpony: Oh wait... Crap.  :| It's an Italian.  :wail:"

Haha xD That would make me really happy. I have such a soft spot for them because the first one I found was Surprise. It must've been around 1997, because I was in contact with Pinkember at the time, and I remember discussing the Italy/HK thing with her. This was here in the UK where those ponies were publicised but not sold, and so I had never ever seen ANY form of Surprise at all. So when I saw her I was like OMG IT IS SURPRISE! I didn't notice the ITALY to begin with, until I stood her by Honeycomb and noticed that her symbols weren't glittery and her eyes were oddly blue. I have a normal Surprise now, and MOC, but somehow my Italian one is more special because she was the first ever Surprise I saw in the plastic flesh.

The same goes for my sister and Heart Throb. She has most versions of Heart Throb from the normal line, adult and baby, but the first one she ever saw was an Italian one, when another collector got her first (sister in floods of tears that day, she was only seven). When that collector sold her ponies, I remember Naynie making a beeline for that Heart Throb. I still think she's prettier than the HK version, with that rich dark hair.

I like the Italian ponies for their occasionally dopey expressions and floppy hair. If not for other circumstances I probably would've continued to collect them full throttle. I also think maybe I like them best of the Nirvana - and let them off the quality issues - because to me they were the original Nirvana that pre-dated the term Nirvana online, and we were still discovering them and their weirdness back then They're mostly not stupidly expensive. Of course, some of them are, but most of them are well within the price range of any collector.

I can totally understand the other viewpoint, about the quality of some of the Nirvana ponies vs the cost. It rather horrifies me when I see (just as an example) an Argentinian Dance & Prance variant with the whole mechanism at the front MISSING and the body covered in stains being listed at a price on Ebay of $50 or thereabouts. If it was in good condition, that would be one thing - but can you imagine anyone paying $50 for a normal Dance & Prance Pony with no mechanism and excessive staining?

I think if you're going to pay a lot more money for a Nirvana pony, it ought to at least be in decent condition first - unless it's a prototype/OOAK pony, in which case all bets are maybe off.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:29:21 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 05:45:32 AM »
Punzzie for me too! I wouldn't say no to one if I found her in the wild or a lot. But the price tag is off putting for a pony whose okay.

I'm also not a huge fan of fire fly. I hate that Pegasus pose, it makes her look so...maternal....
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2015, 06:37:34 AM »
A couple more thoughts:

1) Thank goodness we all do like different ponies. Could you imagine how much "the pony" would be if we all wanted the exact same one?

2) It is a curious thing to consider how much price factors into the loveliness of a pony. I wonder which part of the chicken / egg dynamic it actually is? Many of us cannot know for certain whether disinterest or sticker shock came first, you know? :lol: Thoughts?

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »

2) It is a curious thing to consider how much price factors into the loveliness of a pony. I wonder which part of the chicken / egg dynamic it actually is? Many of us cannot know for certain whether disinterest or sticker shock came first, you know? :lol: Thoughts?

That's almost a thread in its own right, but I've had similar thoughts about this, too. Especially when I think about Mimic, and the fact that her rarity and her price never seem to match up entirely. I have even found Mimic here, in a country she was never sold - so are we sustaining the price hike by continuing to pay that much for her/sell her for that much? Or are there just so many people who want her vs supply that her price is continuously pushed up as a result?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 07:13:39 AM »

Bubbles!? Not Peachy? :P I think I had 10 of the little buggers at one point. She's everywhere!

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 08:37:54 AM »
Punzie doesn't do much for me. She's rather meh... and for the price she usually fetches I'm definitely not seeking her out to add to my herd.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
I'd have to say, Rapunzel for me.  It's mainly the pose.  I am just not a huge fan of that particular pose.  She's quite pretty, but between the pose, all that extra hair that I'd have to wrap around her legs so I could display her...  I'm just not in a hurry to find her. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal