collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sought after ponies that you're not a fan of  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sought after ponies that you're not a fan of
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2015, 01:53:45 AM »
Of the 'key' sought after ponies I miiiiiight have to jump into the Punzie club. I don't intensely dislike her, just not a big fan of the colour combo really and the screeds of high maintenance hair! Having said that, if she fell into my lap I would proudly add her to my collection ...trophy pony... *cough*....  :P

I'm terrible. I find my attitude towards ponies I previously wasn't fussed about often changes once I have them in hand. In person they can be so much prettier and then I'm chasing down the whole set  :lookround:  Not a great example, but I was lucky enough to nab a sweet scoops on a sweet deal. At the time I was more excited about having scored such an elusive and expensive pony for what I did. But now that I have her, I just adore her. The length of her hair, the colours; I think she's gorgeous.

Ooh! Wait - I've just thought of some that I truly do NOT like - those pearlized G1 babies!! Yuck! I think it's mostly the opaque eyes that bother me the most. And the colours.... Baby Surprise is just, eww!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:58:32 AM by Marlin »

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2015, 03:58:09 AM »
Taffeta, next time I see a bunch of Italians, I'll ask them to go hang out at your fleamarkets!  :P

Bubbles!? Not Peachy? :P I think I had 10 of the little buggers at one point. She's everywhere!

OMG yes, TONS! XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2015, 04:10:21 AM »
Taffeta, next time I see a bunch of Italians, I'll ask them to go hang out at your fleamarkets!

Promise?? Lol :D I can never get sick of Italian ponies :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2015, 04:50:07 AM »
Yes, promise!  ;)  :happy:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Rapunzel, Mimic, Red Roses, sea ponies. . .

When it comes down to it, I'm a picky collector.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 02:40:42 AM »
Rapunzel is a No for me!

I used to dislike sea ponies with a passion.... but now I have the complete sets of all the years lol, including the euro exclusives.   >_<

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 08:14:40 AM »
The burning question is...if everyone hates/is not bothered about Rapunzel (as this thread suggests), why does she go for so much money??

Weird pony logic ftw xD I'm almost tempted to post a thread asking if anyone actually loves Rapunzel...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2015, 08:25:34 AM »
The burning question is...if everyone hates/is not bothered about Rapunzel (as this thread suggests), why does she go for so much money??

Weird pony logic ftw xD I'm almost tempted to post a thread asking if anyone actually loves Rapunzel...

the title of this thread asked for dislikes!

But I wonder how many people get her because they like her vs need her for the collection despite like or dislike.

I personally have always preferred Goldilocks, so no Rapunzel for me... But it's not about price, its about aesthetics to me...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
But I wonder how many people get her because they like her vs need her for the collection despite like or dislike.

I personally have always preferred Goldilocks, so no Rapunzel for me... But it's not about price, its about aesthetics to me...

First off, I'm totally with you. Aesthetically, I prefer Goldielocks. Lucky me.

But... you raise a very good point here and one, as a new collector, that I've wrestled with several times now as I consider how I want to expand my collection. What does it truly mean, to me, to collect? Do I want complete sets? Do I strictly want the ponies I vibrantly, passionately love? Can I know whether I will love a pony until I have had him or her in my hands? And beyond my own ideals, what does it mean to have a collection within our community? What does each individual perceive it to mean (and in doing so aspire to, whether their perception actually winds up being the truth or not.)

I would assume, regardless of aesthetics or personal preference, that there is a certain level of pride / success / status felt in either being smart and getting a good deal, or being determined and saving toward an important goal, when the decision to obtain a pony like Rapunzel comes into play. Someone looking for her intentionally isn't likely to just stumble over her and get her--it takes time and patience.

Which, in a general sense, leads to the interesting overall question of what ideas and values we all have about how we expand / curate what we are collecting. But that's quite broad and could likely be it's own thread. :lol:

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »
Haha, true, it did, but her name KEEPS coming up (bearing in mind there are hundreds, even thousands of ponies!)

I think that both you and LadyBastilla raise decent points though - about aesthetics, collecting, etc.

I think it probably is a thread in its own right, but it is an interesting thing to consider, how and why we form the collection mantra we do and set the limitations or otherwise of the things we want to buy.

I like Goldilocks so long as she has decent hair. My sister's Goldilocks (also a trade pony) has hair rather like cheese wotsits, which doesn't bother her, but rather makes me twitch. I think she earns her price tag better than Rapunzel, which may be what makes her more ok to a lot of collectors. I wonder with Rapunzel if it is really about what she looks like or just the huge price tag that comes with her that makes people re-evaluate her as a pony. She's pretty enough, and if she was a $5 pony nobody would be commenting about her like this. I think it's because she's not a $5 pony that she incites such strong feelings...because it's hard to reconcile that price tag with the pony (at least in my view).

I traded for my Rapunzel, I didn't buy her. It was back in the days when some UK ponies were selling at almost the same price level as she was, because back then Rapunzel was about $100 and some UK ponies were reaching $100 on ebay and in private sale (because of demand vs supply). I had a windfall when a local collector here sold all her ponies, and she had some seriously htf UK and variant/(future Nirvana) type ponies, all of which we acquired and either kept or traded on. Some of them I have never had doubles of since and probably never will. Rapunzel came up as an option at this same time, with one of my trusted trade partners.

As a result, Rapunzel cost me the cost of those ponies at that carboot, which was about what, $3? So in that sense, I don't have an issue with having her. My Rapunzel is not mint. Her hair has been cut. It's long enough to pass but not long enough to be Rapunzelish. If I was paying $800, this would be a concern for me. THe fact that she cost me essentially $3 plus postage means I'm fine with it. Technically, that would be an "upgrade needed" pony if it was any other pony but Rapunzel. Because of her price, though, that's not happening. I'll take my $3 Punzie with her haircut, and be happy with it. xD Which, thinking about it, is probably the way Nirvana collectors feel when they get a bargain price on a rare Nirvana variant who has been kicked about a bit...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:49:56 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »
I can tell you for me that the price just makes here a complete and total "no". There are a handful of ponies that I will pay a bit "more" for, but the amount of "more" for Rapunzel, vs. what I feel I would be getting (which, again, cannot be compared to what I'd actually get. Who knows?) just isn't enough to justify that level of commitment. And that's the other thing it comes down to for me: I've only been collecting for about 2.5 months now (from when I got my first ponies). I don't feel like I am at a point yet where I am invested enough to invest what would be needed for Rapunzel.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
Haha, true, it did, but her name KEEPS coming up (bearing in mind there are hundreds, even thousands of ponies!)

;3 but she's one of the most "sought after ponies". Hmmm... Or is she. I wonder what pony that actually is, I bet it's someone more abundent that is a " must have" for many collections.

It would be a very good thread for discussion.

And I also prefer perfect hair on Goldilocks. XD that's the prettiest part about her!

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
As a note of irony - Bandit Pony, have you noticed what your posting status currently is? xD

And yeah, if she's a sought after pony and yet so many people aren't seeking her, why is she sought after? xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »
Gusty...I like her, she is pretty but she is not one I would miss if she was never included in the line. *awaits being pelted with fakies*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
I'm not a fan of Rapunzel.  :lookround: