collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Favorite Female Fronted Rock Bands  (Read 2767 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Favorite Female Fronted Rock Bands
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
Just curious: Why is this "Annette" person so bad? Did she do something to Nightwish? :s

Pretty much. It's kind of a long story, but when she joined the band, many people were disappointed because she turned out to be not very skilled, especially live, and especially after someone like Tarja (though she does have lot of fans too).
But that's not the biggest issue; when she was let go from the band three years ago, she took every opportunity she was given to sling mud at the band in very childish ways, including some lies (not that they are angels, but still). To make a long story short, she basically turned into a bitter teenager, giving stabs under water all the time, supporting "Floor Jansen Haters" pages, and so on. It's a shame really, because even people who loved her voice can't bring themselves to support her anymore (my main source for this is the Nightwish forum, but of course there are exceptions).

This pretty much sums it up.  :)
I'm going to have to politely disagree and would like to offer a counter viewpoint. I am rather fond of both Tarja and Anette stylistically and as people. Honestly, Anette's style is very similar if not the same as Sharon's from Within Temptation so I am rather baffled when people say Anette couldn't sing. Since Tarja and Sharon could pull off an amazing duet, I feel that Anette and Tarja would be equally incredible together.

I think the problem stems more from Anette being such a departure from Tarja's style and people wanting another Tarja, whuch is understandable. I liked the change up of having the unpolished vocals, it gave the music more emotion and relatability to me. Imaginaerum was one of their best albums in my opinion. A lot of people did not feel the same way and Anette got a lot of undeserved hate for simply being who she was. Tuomas, the creative force of the band, felt Anette was the right choice and I'm disappointed that so few people had faith he made the right choice for his music.

But the negativity surrounding Anette and the frankly deplorable behavior by some a vocal percentage of fans and a few people in the Nightwish entourage was just completely unjustified. Fans gleefully hoping Anette would die in the hospital when she got severly ill is no fandom I want to be a part of.

I also admit to being suspicious of any judgement or statement on Anette's character that did not come directly from her and her blog or from Nightwish.

I am glad people enjoy the new album with Floor but after all the drama with this band, it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Exactly. Annette is not unskilled. She just has a very different skill set from Tarja's. Tarja (the original singer from the band) is a classically trained soprano, and Annette's vocal range is closer to alto, which is an extreme departure. This does not make her skill any less. It just means she is a different type of singer.

BUT the debate over the singers in Nightwish is HUGE and very ugly. It's probably not a good thing to discuss at length here in the Arena.

That said, I saw Nightwish live with Annette once and her version of The Siren (one of Tarja's highest octave songs) was absolutely wonderful. She adjusted it to fit her own range and made it her own in a beautiful way. I only wish there were a recorded version of that somewhere.

Anyway, I just popped on here to mention that I am listening to The Pretty Reckless right now. They're a really good band, but I often forget about them. :)

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »
I don't know if indie rock counts, but I will love Tegan and Sara until my dying day.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
I don't know if indie rock counts, but I will love Tegan and Sara until my dying day.
Its been awhile since I've heard about Tegan and Sara, I believe I still have their song, "Alligator" on my PSP  :lol:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
One of my recent favorites is def. Nylon Pink! They're based in the LA area, but I got to see them perform at Kawaiiworld in NYC last spring. Here's their cover of one of my fave Kpop songs, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRJg3GWllc
ISO UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire, and complete jewelry babies :cool:

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
Its been awhile since I've heard about Tegan and Sara, I believe I still have their song, "Alligator" on my PSP  :lol:
My mom is always full of surprises. She came up to me one day and asked if I was familiar with Tegan and Sara. I said yes, and why...? She said that apparently her co-worker was their uncle and they were in town (apparently they're from around my area, which I don't think I knew but would explain why I had heard of them before the rest of the world).

I think they're both doing solo acts now, though.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Jakalope yet? Love her/their music :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Joan Jett and Blackhearts, X-ray Spex, Pat Benatar, and some that have already been named. I feel like I'm forgetting some.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Galaxy91

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:28 AM »
I really like Katzenjammer  :lol:
Does that count as rock?

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2015, 03:34:43 AM »
Courage My Love is a decent punk band as well!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
I really like Katzenjammer  :lol:
Does that count as rock?
I think so. Most things tend to fall somewhere under the "rock" umbrella these days, and I think they definitely fit in a general sense. :)

Right now I'm listening to Lullacry. They're actually really good for a lesser known metal band (some lesser known bands are really bad, so...).

Seriously, though, if anyone wants any inspiration, take a look at my Last.FM library -- I have over 1,500 bands in my library (and that's WITH me being really picky about what I listen to) and about 80% of them are female fronted rock or metal of some kind.

Also, I want to mention KT Tunstall here. I know she's a single person, but she does the "one man band" thing often when she performs, which is so cool. There are lots of videos on YouTube. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal