collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Favorite Female Fronted Rock Bands  (Read 2772 times)

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Fronted Rock Bands
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »
In this moment and the pretty reckless.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »
Just curious: Why is this "Annette" person so bad? Did she do something to Nightwish? :s

Pretty much. It's kind of a long story, but when she joined the band, many people were disappointed because she turned out to be not very skilled, especially live, and especially after someone like Tarja (though she does have lot of fans too).
But that's not the biggest issue; when she was let go from the band three years ago, she took every opportunity she was given to sling mud at the band in very childish ways, including some lies (not that they are angels, but still). To make a long story short, she basically turned into a bitter teenager, giving stabs under water all the time, supporting "Floor Jansen Haters" pages, and so on. It's a shame really, because even people who loved her voice can't bring themselves to support her anymore (my main source for this is the Nightwish forum, but of course there are exceptions).

This pretty much sums it up.  :)
I'm going to have to politely disagree and would like to offer a counter viewpoint. I am rather fond of both Tarja and Anette stylistically and as people. Honestly, Anette's style is very similar if not the same as Sharon's from Within Temptation so I am rather baffled when people say Anette couldn't sing. Since Tarja and Sharon could pull off an amazing duet, I feel that Anette and Tarja would be equally incredible together.

I think the problem stems more from Anette being such a departure from Tarja's style and people wanting another Tarja, whuch is understandable. I liked the change up of having the unpolished vocals, it gave the music more emotion and relatability to me. Imaginaerum was one of their best albums in my opinion. A lot of people did not feel the same way and Anette got a lot of undeserved hate for simply being who she was. Tuomas, the creative force of the band, felt Anette was the right choice and I'm disappointed that so few people had faith he made the right choice for his music.

But the negativity surrounding Anette and the frankly deplorable behavior by some a vocal percentage of fans and a few people in the Nightwish entourage was just completely unjustified. Fans gleefully hoping Anette would die in the hospital when she got severly ill is no fandom I want to be a part of.

I also admit to being suspicious of any judgement or statement on Anette's character that did not come directly from her and her blog or from Nightwish.

I am glad people enjoy the new album with Floor but after all the drama with this band, it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't get why Anette got so much hatred.  It's not like she forced Tarja to quit.  Tarja more or less quit on her own and had been distancing herself from the band for some time before she 'officially' was booted, and she acted very poorly about it all, but a lot of people seem to forget that.  I stopped listening to Nightwish a long time ago, not because of Anette, but I just felt like I out grew it, and I never really honestly cared about Tarja's voice.  She sings too muddy for me, I can't understand her, and her behavior and ego makes it worse for me.  Coupled with rabid fans?  So, I moved on, so I haven't heard Floor, nor heard the drama about Anette's departure. 

I'm big on Within Temptation, everything they've done really.  They've demonstrated a wonderful ability to grow as musicians, both in style and complexity.  Delain and Xandria are well liked, and I love Sirenia too.  Unsun is nice too, but they've only ever put out one album.  Does Rapsutina count?  Cooky as all, but love them.  Simone Simons of Epica is divine.  That is what operatic voice with metal rock should sound like.  Gorgeous. 

Ayreon is not solely voice by a woman, but sort of a true rock opera group, but they have a lot of strong women singers, and worth a listen. 

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »
I feel terrible but I'm not sure I have much of an answer for this. I like some others here mostly listen to male fronted bands. =/ The exception would be British Folk, where plenty of bands I listen to are female-fronted or the women in the group sing a lot of the songs.

I seriously do not even recognize like any of the groups mentioned in this topic. I am soooo far out of the loop.  :blush:

All I can think of is Heart before they hit the 80s (when they became a pop group). I actually really like "Crazy On You", but I'm not too familiar with the group...

|My Collection|

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2015, 09:08:54 AM »
@MiRaja My partner and I got into Within Temptation last year and they are amazing! I regret not finding them sooner!

We saw Delain when they opened for Kamelot two years ago and I was kind of "meh" on their style, but Charlotte was very sweet! We were at the venue super early so she and the other band members were popping out of the the tour bus to say hi to people and had a filmed a bunch of us wishing happy birthday to her friend back home in the Netherlands. :)

I need to give Epica a more thorough listen. All I've really heard is Simone's guest work with Kamelot, which I greatly enjoyed.

@Rainbow Blossom, Heart is always good stuff! Did you see their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" they did in 2012 when Led Zeppelin was honored at the Kennedy Center? It is an incredible performance!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
@MiRaja My partner and I got into Within Temptation last year and they are amazing! I regret not finding them sooner!

We saw Delain when they opened for Kamelot two years ago and I was kind of "meh" on their style, but Charlotte was very sweet! We were at the venue super early so she and the other band members were popping out of the the tour bus to say hi to people and had a filmed a bunch of us wishing happy birthday to her friend back home in the Netherlands. :)

I need to give Epica a more thorough listen. All I've really heard is Simone's guest work with Kamelot, which I greatly enjoyed.

@Rainbow Blossom, Heart is always good stuff! Did you see their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" they did in 2012 when Led Zeppelin was honored at the Kennedy Center? It is an incredible performance!

Run for a Fall is probably Epica's best piece.  Definitely give that a thorough run through.  Some of Delain's work can be almost generic at times, but there's some really good stuff here and there.  You may want to look into Sirenia if you like those, particularly the albums the 13th Floor, and Nine Destinies and a Down Fall.  Some of their work can be a bit screechy and not so vocal led, but those albums I like, even if they're two different women. 

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »
I don't remember seeing Cobra and the Lotus listed....  I like that band.  Seen them twice in concert....

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2015, 03:15:48 AM »
I don't remember seeing Cobra and the Lotus listed....  I like that band.  Seen them twice in concert....

I totally forgot about that band, I have a few of their songs in my music library, awesome addition to the list!

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 06:26:54 AM »
I will probably always love Heart. P:
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:30 AM »
The Birthday Massacre! <3 (...they count, right? I know nothing about rock and what qualifies for it haha)
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Tribble79

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
With Cobra and the lotus after one of their concerts. Very nice band. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
FB_IMG_1431551489672 by goblin_giggles, on Flickrvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
FB_IMG_1431550894125 by goblin_giggles, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:21:59 PM by Tribble79 »

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »
Cobra or Lady Cobra? :o
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Tribble79

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
Cobra is the female singer...

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the Go Gos? The only time I ever opt for 'air drums' over 'air guitar'.

Thanks for the suggestions for music, I am so bored with my music right now (which is funny because I seriously listen heavily to all eras including the 30's, 40's, 50's & so on...)

I'm definitely one who usually prefers male voices, but there are a bunch of female lead or solo songs I love. I mean, who doesn't love Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker"?

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 11:09:18 PM »
Sorry....I was thinking she was Lady Cobra also, but just goes by the band name "Cobra"  :huh:

NEVERMIND just goggled it XD no relation whatsoever  :blink:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:12:04 PM by Twilight Pink Navarro »
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Tribble79

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:23 AM »
Sorry....I was thinking she was Lady Cobra also, but just goes by the band name "Cobra"  :huh:

NEVERMIND just goggled it XD no relation whatsoever  :blink:

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal