collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?  (Read 6942 times)

Offline LadyFizzy

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • dreamstobecome.com
Re: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »
Mmmm. I still have dreams occasionally about finding a MOC G1 at a Toys R Us or a KB Toys (wow remember those?) and eagerly but carefully tearing it open to smell that new pony smell and brush that soft hair for the first time.... sighhhhh. I doubt I ever will, but we can keep dreaming, eh?
Ahoy! I'm back after a long absence. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by ShinePaw
Profile pic by Kanthaka

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »
For me this is a layered, complex issue. It has questions of morality, history (and / or my lack thereof) and of my investment in the community and my loyalty to it. (A very good point brought up by Taffeta.)

I know I owned G1 ponies. I know some of them were new. I didn't know who they were (couldn't remember) until my mother and I searched Dream Valley one afternoon and she pointed out which she remembered buying. If that is how I was in childhood, and that is the amount of memory I have left, than obviously opening MIB g1 ponies does not hold power for me.

What would I do if I found a g1 in the wild? I would store it in the best conditions possible to preserve its quality. Then I would carefully research who within the communities I'm involved in (here and the TP) to see who was looking for that pony. I probably wouldn't be trying to get lots of money, either. (Since in our game of 'what if' I found this for a small sum). Rather, I would probably try to find a way to give someone the surprise of their life. Uniting people with "that thing they've always wanted" is a very powerful feeling and the reaction most people have to it is a much bigger rush than unboxing a g1 would be.

I won't lie: there is part of me that would kinda, sorta like to do it now that I'm really into MLP. (I was never deeply invested in a kid.) But it's a one way door. Once the pony is out of the box, it can never be the same again. MIB ponies (and other vintage toys) are very symbolic of the childhoods we use them to remember--once they're gone, they're gone.

I feel the same way about g2, minus any interest in unboxing. I do not have the connection to them that I have formed to g1. It would be a waste of an MIB for me to do that. I'd try to do the same thing I described above if I found one in the wild.

G3 is where the water gets a bit murky for me. On one hand, I understand that they aren't being made anymore. On the other hand, when I can get (for example) 5 for $25 they don't feel like they have the same 'forbidden' sense about them when it comes to unboxing. That said, though, I've thought of getting a few of my favorites MIB while they are still relatively inexpensive since my room is set up in a way that makes displaying MIB stuff easier than open stuff sometimes.

The only two older ponies I actually want MIB someday are Princess Serena and Princess Aquamarine. (I realize they are the same pony, just with different backstory and accessories) But before I even begin to contemplate the most utterly tiny inkling of a thought of buying one of those, I want a really nice Princess Serena that I can actually hold, brush, etc. and all of her accessories (including Aquamarine's dragon). That way I know there is absolutely no reason under the sun that I would ever consider opening those MIBs once I buy them.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »
I believe that everyone is entitled to do whatever they wish with their own collections. With that being said, I would never debox/decard a G1 pony (I don't actively collect other gens). It would be so crazy for me to spend $50 - $100+ on something that's MIP just to have that feeling for what, like 5 seconds? I have plenty of loose ponies to play with, I don't need to destroy the value of my MIP ponies by removing them.

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
As a MOC collector I would never debox a pony.  Like many others I have a few in my collection whose bubbles are barely hanging on but I won't remove them.  it is very true that there is a limited number of G1 MOC ponies left and it would be a shame if they were all gone.  I also believe that everyone is free to do with their ponies as they wish including deboxing them but if it were me I would pass them on to other collectors and look for good condition versions elsewhere.  I also collect loose ponies and am super picky about condition.  Right now there seem to be several collectors selling their collections and at least two bought the majority of their collections MOC and deboxed them.  While I wouldn't do this myself I have benefited from adding several mint ponies to my collection.  Again, I'm not advocating deboxing ponies, rather if you look hard enough you may find a pony that someone else has already decarded or one that has been lightly played with leaving the MOCs to find homes with those that will love and treasure them in their original state.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
As a MOC collector I would never debox a pony.  Like many others I have a few in my collection whose bubbles are barely hanging on but I won't remove them.  it is very true that there is a limited number of G1 MOC ponies left and it would be a shame if they were all gone.  I also believe that everyone is free to do with their ponies as they wish including deboxing them but if it were me I would pass them on to other collectors and look for good condition versions elsewhere.  I also collect loose ponies and am super picky about condition.  Right now there seem to be several collectors selling their collections and at least two bought the majority of their collections MOC and deboxed them.  While I wouldn't do this myself I have benefited from adding several mint ponies to my collection.  Again, I'm not advocating deboxing ponies, rather if you look hard enough you may find a pony that someone else has already decarded or one that has been lightly played with leaving the MOCs to find homes with those that will love and treasure them in their original state.

Noo :(  :cry:

I had someone buy something from me once and decarded it and I'm still angry that I didn't ask what their intentions were before selling it. If I knew they were going to I would not have sold it to them. :\ I just assumed based on their moc collection that they wouldn't, never thought I was sending it over to be ripped open.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »
I think it becomes more of an issue the more tine passes and the further we get from when thoae ponies were out. But I am with ponycake. It isn't about dislike for me, but a lack of consideration for other collectors and what *their* dreams are. We all outbid each other on ebay, and that's fair and open, and once we own it it is our choice. But if I posted here that I had cut all the hair off my yellow italian Minty and painted her blue, there woukd be a lot if uproar. She is my pony and I have the right to wreck her, and she didn't cost me much, but imo if I disliked her that much I would sell her.

To me opening MOC is the same. Someone else may love that item for what it is, and by opening it you take that opportunity from them just for 5 seconds of fun.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
Well said, Taffeta.  (Both posts.)

We had a post a while back from a G4 fan who gave a Quarterback with great hair a mohawk so he would look more manly when her kids played with him, and the replies were definitely not "It's so great that you're doing what you want with your own pony!", lol.  Maybe cutting the hair gave her and her kids pleasure, but it also permanently altered the state of the pony. 

Opening a MOC is also a permanent alteration.  A MOC is more than the sum of its parts, the bubble and card and pony.  It's something new and rare and wonderful.  It beat the odds and stayed hidden in a box or a closet for 20+ years and is now a little piece of history.  It seems a real shame to me that something can survive so long MOC only to be decarded in the end.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 05:50:21 AM »
If I got a G1 or G2 mint in box, I wouldn't ever open them, but with G3's I'm more lenient. That may make some cringe, but I spent my own money on them... They are mine, and I have no intention of even attempting to sell them, so...

Jazz Matazz and Wave Catcher were my firsts, and they don't even come in a nice display box... They came in a wrapper not much unlike the ones McDonald's toys come in. I couldn't even see them, and I think that's what gave me the reasoning to open them instead of keep them 'MIB'. My Juniper Jade is still MIB, though... I want her out, but I still have something keeping her MIB.

Either way (and I've only opened one that actually came in a box) I keep the box!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:54:02 AM by Rainbow Blossom »

|My Collection|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 06:08:29 AM »
I think it becomes more of an issue the more tine passes and the further we get from when thoae ponies were out. But I am with ponycake. It isn't about dislike for me, but a lack of consideration for other collectors and what *their* dreams are. 

To me opening MOC is the same. Someone else may love that item for what it is, and by opening it you take that opportunity from them just for 5 seconds of fun.

My dream was to open up my favorite flutter pony who I no longer had from childhood. We all have dreams and I dont believe on is more important than the other.

The excitement for me lasted more than 5 seconds. Its been 6 years and every time I see her I'm filled with joy as its still clear as day how I felt. (My memory is miserable, I can't remember details of yesterday).

Edit: I am just giving my experience from the other side. I those who pays tons of money for MiB/moc probably doesn't open it half heartedly. Maybe some do. But I dont think it's fair to judge so harshly.

I also don't think it should be done without careful consideration.

BTW, no one wanted the box from my flutter even tho I was offering it for free :/ that did upset me

Also my coworker has a bunch of MiB ponies at her moms place (including a flutter). Her mom didn't let her open them "in case they would be worth money". So there are still some hidden ones out there, not in collectors hands. Not many. But they still are out there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:20:27 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »

Noo :(  :cry:

I had someone buy something from me once and decarded it and I'm still angry that I didn't ask what their intentions were before selling it. If I knew they were going to I would not have sold it to them. :\ I just assumed based on their moc collection that they wouldn't, never thought I was sending it over to be ripped open.

Yes it really upset me to see all of those ponies on ebay complete with back card, comb and ribbon knowing that they were MOC not too long ago.  A few of them I have been searching for MOC for years and I would have paid a big price to have them.  It's a shame all of that history is lost.  And I completely agree with you that if I sold a MOC pony and found out it had been decarded later I would be livid!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »
I've opened up G3 ponies- but their boxes were all beat up anyway. I'd leave G1 & G2 ponies alone though. If I want a loose one I'll get one, but there are so few still moc that I'd hate to open one, especially if some other collector might enjoy it more moc. But it's your choice and I admit, the temptation to open a G1 is great! Which is why I sold or gifted mine away!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2015, 09:28:50 AM »

Yes it really upset me to see all of those ponies on ebay complete with back card, comb and ribbon knowing that they were MOC not too long ago.  A few of them I have been searching for MOC for years and I would have paid a big price to have them.  It's a shame all of that history is lost.  And I completely agree with you that if I sold a MOC pony and found out it had been decarded later I would be livid!

I found some of the sold auctions. I am actually really angry seeing it. Why. Why? She sold them for so much less than she could have gotten MOC. See I would actually dislike this collector if I knew who they were, they did so many!!! I still get why people want to do it but it just causes this reaction in me anyway, it makes me so upset. It's like someone else said, it's as if someone has your favorite rare pony and they're destroying it for their enjoyment. I take pleasure in the MOC aspect of pony collecting, it's almost all I do buy anymore. Again I get why they do it but it still really upsets me anyway. :shrug:

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »

Almost all of my G1 ponies are complete with backcards, stickers, ribbons, and other accessories. If I were to sell them, you might think I opened up a bunch of MOC's, but I didn't. I constantly scour pony forums, eBay, etc. trying to complete my loose ponies. I've found that if I'm patient enough, what I'm looking for will turn up eventually. I have a huge case of backcards and drawers full of accessories, which have all been acquired piece by piece over many years. My point is, unless someone comes right out and says that they're selling ponies they've opened, I don't think it's fair to accuse them of something that they might not be guilty of.

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »

Almost all of my G1 ponies are complete with backcards, stickers, ribbons, and other accessories. If I were to sell them, you might think I opened up a bunch of MOC's, but I didn't. I constantly scour pony forums, eBay, etc. trying to complete my loose ponies. I've found that if I'm patient enough, what I'm looking for will turn up eventually. I have a huge case of backcards and drawers full of accessories, which have all been acquired piece by piece over many years. My point is, unless someone comes right out and says that they're selling ponies they've opened, I don't think it's fair to accuse them of something that they might not be guilty of.

She did actually, the auctions say 'when I decarded her' on a lot of them. lol

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
She did actually, the auctions say 'when I decarded her' on a lot of them. lol

Okay, fair enough... :) I admit I do like to buy from those people who decard ponies, and I have several in my collection. I'm thrilled with all of the backcards I've been seeing on eBay lately... I've really been cleaning up. :D But I don't decard anything myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal