collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?  (Read 6941 times)

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
Because it's still fairly easy to find G3's MIB, I would probably buy a duplicate of one that I already have, that way I have 1 loose and 1 MIB. I would never open a G1 or G2 if it was MIB or MOC though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
Assuming the packaging/pony isn't badly damaged then, NO!  I'm on MOC collector (G1 and G2) and the artwork, the feel, and the look of the packaging brings back waves of nostalgia.  The excitement of opening a pony is so short lived that it isn't worth it to me. 

Exactly!  And I get the same rush when I open a big box of ponies from ebay, which is probably a cheaper habit to maintain.  ^^

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »
I would if the box/card is yucky or unattractive due to the elements.  Otherwise, probably not.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
I agree with Aadra310 too although even if the pony/packaging was badly damaged I would still not remove the pony...

Babydoll~

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »
I won't debox them. I have 4 with box G1's that I've attempted to put back together as original as possible. I just can't bring myself to opening them up and freeing them.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Vintageg2

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Love G2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
I only opened one box of a G2 MOC (Snowball), because I just wanted to open one and I think she looks so adorable on her skies.  I should have chosen a more common one did I think afterwards, but I don't regret it. If I find her again MOC, I would buy here again. All other MOC's are staying intact from now on. 

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
I'd probably see if there was someone who wanted the MOC/IB pony and if they'd like to trade it for a loose one; that way everybody wins. I'm not really a fan of MOC ponies personally because of the space they take up, and deboxing things just feels like a dull formality to me (because I am a heartless fiend!!!) but I can see why other people enjoy them.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
well interesting topic  ;) as a MOC/ MIB collector I would say NO!  :lol: because of course I am only looking at ponies in MOC or MIB condition (ok I admit I have also some ponies in loose condition  ;)) .

In fact, if the person really does not take care of having it loose, it is better to let the ponies in MOC / MIB condition to the persons who are really interested emotionnally like me for example.
However you can not force people who have the pony to not open it  :huh: but I would advice them to find one loose if they really want to touch it  ^.^ On the other hand I can also understand people who open their MOC when the bubble can no longer hold the pony or the pony begins to have serious difficulty (sweat) inside it.

I think this put it nicely.

I remember having this conversation in the Jem comm some years ago, because people were taking really rare fashions out of package so they had an extra display one or some such thing (because the Flipside Fashions are 2 fashions in 1 and some pieces need two to display both at once).

My take on this is that...although it's true that once you buy a pony, it's yours, and you can do with it as you like...there's a deeper something at work for me in all of this and that is the sense of community.

To me collectors ought to help each other out first and foremost. And, while I could not stop someone from deboxing a G1 pony, and we've all done it in our childhoods...what if that was the last ever MOC of that pony? What if someone in that pony community had been looking for ten, twenty years for that exact pony MOC because it had some deep personal meaning to them...and yet now no more exist, because someone deboxed it?

I realise this is an emotive issue of personal choice versus other people's views - but I think that with many G1 ponies it's a valid concern. I remember just ten years ago, there were a lot more MIP ponies on ebay. Fifteen years ago, you couldn't give away MOC Watercolour sea babies...but I haven't seen any WC baby ponies on ebay in a while, and, honestly, I think the goal of collecting MOC ponies that mean something to someone is now much harder and more expensive because of supply vs demand.

I do speak a little from a personal point of view, because there are a couple of MIP ponies which it would mean the world to me to own. So, I am not objective. But I think...if something I did took something away from someone else in the community, somehow, I would be...uneasy with it? And I feel that deboxing a MOC pony from G1 now takes something away from someone else who might have wanted that pony for years and now will never have it.

Even if there are others of that pony still in existence, if ten people debox ten of them, then the prices on the others go up. This might be good for people selling, but it's not good for people buying. That situation pushes certain ponies out of price ranges, and makes it even harder to attain that "grail." A lot of people talk about their "grail" ponies - but you don't see people customising Nirvana ponies. MOC ponies for the older years and certain sets are as rare or rarer than some of those Nirvana, and just as important to some people.

I realise people will disagree, but I'm a sentimental person, and that's just the way I feel.

I will open G4 ponies, now, because they are still in production. Any G3 I have in box still now they're not in production I will keep or sell that way. Ditto G2. I think it's an individual decision for a collector to make - but I couldn't do it.

As for the condition of the card - my Watercolor Misty and my Wind Whistler fell off their cards because of poor packaging (but neither had been expensive) so those I have mint, complete with their cards and bubbles...but I have Cherry Treats who is half on her UK card and half obviously not...and I have left her as she is. She doesn't need to come out any further...it's the memory of the pony on the card I like, because MOC ponies for me are memories of my childhood :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:08:39 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
Although I'd be severely tempted, I wouldn't debox a G1 unless the packaging was damaged or yellowed. I collect loose, so since it's harder to find MIB/MOC G1, I leave those for other collectors.  I've seen a lot of MIB/MOC G2 floating around, but I'd still leave those for people who DO collect packaged ponies.

I'd have no problem deboxing a G3, but would still not go out of my way to buy anything other than loose ponies.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »
It would be really hard for me to resist the temptation with a G1 pony.  I'd probably trade or sell it immediately because if it were in my house for more than a day or two without being listed for sale you can bet I'd take it out.

I dunno about G2.  I guess I'd go on a case by case basis going by rarity of said pony or how much it costs and how much it would sell for.

I always debox G3s.  Whenever I get a MIB one she is removed immediately with no hesitation!  G3 is new enough that I feel no guilt about it.  I just enjoy having my ponies out of the box because I like brushing them and photographing them.  I can see why people like them, but personally MIB ponies are just not for me.

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
I deboxed a MOC Greek Moonstone, of course I'll decard a pony.  Pft silly question.
-edit-
I should probably add that I paid $30 for her, this was when G1 MOC Greek ponies were EVERYWHERE.  I had bought 5 Greeks, and sold/traded 4 of them off.  Moonstone is my fave pony ever, also all she was doing was collecting dust and her card had been ruined anyway.  Just hanging on my wall, now she is on my shelf with my childhood Moonstone.

~Jenn
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:45:33 AM by FullMoonFever »
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »
Never, and I dislike people who open g1s especially. Idg people like that, sorry. Unless it's really falling off or damaged anyway. I have some really barely hanging on and crumpled up MOC ponies and they are still in there although it's still at the point where it seems like it doesn't matter if you take them out. But since they're all the same set and I have a few of them I just leave them in.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:56:42 PM by ponycake »

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Aerora

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »
I'd think about it if the pony had mold/plasticizer leakage, or if the card was heavily damaged - but otherwise, I'd prefer to sell a MIB/MOC G1/2 and buy a nice loose one. I'd consider deboxing a G3 if it was one I really liked, though.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
Never, and I dislike people who open g1s especially. Idg people like that, sorry. Unless it's really falling off or damaged anyway.

It's kind of not nice to dislike people. ):

As I mentioned, for me, opening my boxed g1 was literally a magical moment for me. From this thread, I see a lot of people get that from looking at a boxed pony. But for me, it was opening it-- and I remember it vividly. Which is funny cuz my memory is so bad I can't tell you what I ate for lunch yesterday. The memory of opening it still makes me full of joy, even though it was 6 years ago. And there is the bonus of knowing I'm the only one who has touched the pony. Just like my few remaining childhood ponies. I'm not sure why thats so wrong.

Is it really so negative for people to enjoy their ponies?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
Never, and I dislike people who open g1s especially. Idg people like that, sorry. Unless it's really falling off or damaged anyway.

It's kind of not nice to dislike people. ):

As I mentioned, for me, opening my boxed g1 was literally a magical moment for me. From this thread, I see a lot of people get that from looking at a boxed pony. But for me, it was opening it-- and I remember it vividly. Which is funny cuz my memory is so bad I can't tell you what I ate for lunch yesterday. The memory of opening it still makes me full of joy, even though it was 6 years ago. And there is the bonus of knowing I'm the only one who has touched the pony. Just like my few remaining childhood ponies. I'm not sure why thats so wrong.

Is it really so negative for people to enjoy their ponies?

The only thing I collect lately is MOC and occasionally merchandise so you can probably see why I feel strongly about it. I keep my mouth shut anyway, if it's not mine I have no say, but it's the same as you, I can feel however I want to about it. Not like I remember anyone specifically who does it.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal