collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What does your SO think of your pony collecting?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
Re: What does your SO think of your pony collecting?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 03:06:47 AM »
Mine think it's pretty cool. When we first got together he took photos of them and shared on fb with his friends, lol. The deal however is no ponies displayed outside of the bedroom, but I'm running out of space so we're moving to a larger place so I can have an entire room just for my ponies.

His interest is far more expensive than mine so he is very understanding of my need to collect. He keeps his eyes out and even his mom looks for ponies for me and buys the ones she finds on fleemarkets for me. :)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
For me it isn't just pony collecting- it is 80's toys collecting. My hubby is fine with it cuz he collects toys, too. He just doesn't want me to spend too much money. I remember years ago when I first started collecting that I would quiz him on different girl's toy lines and ask him what their names were and who were my favorites :)

We have our toys displayed in our living room and he told one of his co-workers about that and he was envious cuz his girlfriend wouldn't let him display his Star Wars collection.

I'm not sure what made me remember this but we would tease each other by singing theme songs such as- he would sing " My Little Phony" to me and I would sing "GI Joe a real American Zero" to him LOL!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »
I let him collect Lego Star Wars in return, so we're cool.  :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 12:09:38 PM »
I hope if I ever get into a relationship again, I find a guy who is a collector of something too so we can go on hunts together and plus... he'd understand me better!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
He even told me if anything happens to me, he will always keep my ponies and continue my collection!!!! <3 He is the greatest ever.

That's incredibly sweet.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:54 PM »
I feel so bad for all the people who have non-supportive SOs or family. :( Pony hugs.

I feel like a lot of us who have supportive SOs have mentioned that they are also collectors. I've heard people talk about how people who don't "collect" just don't get it. Like they can't imagine how someone could get joy/happiness/fulfillment from collecting stuff. I wonder if that's true?

Anyway my hubby enjoys FiM. Sometimes he gets cranky about spent money but he can't say anything because his many collections are WAY more expensive (guns, vehicles, military antiques, G.I. Joes AND Star Wars). Most of the time he's fine with it though, especially since I now have organized diplays and it looks cool. He did think my customizing was "the dumbest hobby ever" (which he wisely kept to himself until his mind changed) until I made my Steampunk rocketeer and then he had to show it off to anyone who came through our door. Now he loves my customs :)

I think he feels too overwhelmed by all the different ponies to hunt them down for me XD (sometimes I do too!)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
I feel so bad for all the people who have non-supportive SOs or family. :( Pony hugs.

I feel like a lot of us who have supportive SOs have mentioned that they are also collectors. I've heard people talk about how people who don't "collect" just don't get it. Like they can't imagine how someone could get joy/happiness/fulfillment from collecting stuff. I wonder if that's true?

Anyway my hubby enjoys FiM. Sometimes he gets cranky about spent money but he can't say anything because his many collections are WAY more expensive (guns, vehicles, military antiques, G.I. Joes AND Star Wars). Most of the time he's fine with it though, especially since I now have organized diplays and it looks cool. He did think my customizing was "the dumbest hobby ever" (which he wisely kept to himself until his mind changed) until I made my Steampunk rocketeer and then he had to show it off to anyone who came through our door. Now he loves my customs :)

I think he feels too overwhelmed by all the different ponies to hunt them down for me XD (sometimes I do too!)

Well, mine doesn't and hasn't ever collected anything and he's the one who wants to buy me every last one. I think it depends on the person. He adores me and so he thinks it's another thing that's totally adorable about me. This is actually the third guy I've been with who knows about it and thought it was cute and bought me stuff constantly (none had collections). I can't imagine dating anyone not supportive, at this point I'd break up with anyone who was because I'm so used to the support!

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Binx

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:39 AM »
I'm a lucky lady, as my hubby buys me ponies all the time, but he collects watches which is much more expensive! He's a star with my pony obsession :)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »

Hah- that's a funny story.  Seriously though Salli- I don't know how he could ever think YOUR customs were the "dumbest thing ever"! But yeah, your steampunk ponies are undeniably awesome...  my wife doesn't usually like ponies- but she does admit my art ponies (including a few from you) are pretty cool.

I totally think that it's the people who don't collect anything themselves, that truly cannot "get" collectors. My wife is like that.  She tries to be understanding, but she is probably the most ridiculously "practical" person on the planet, and while she can understand keeping a keepsake from childhood or from travel, she absolutely does not understand collecting "stuff" for the heck of it.  Although her "practicality" is probably helpful in saving me from being buried in things that I love, it is mostly a pain in the rear.  We are totally Bert and Ernie.  A comparison she reluctantly admits is accurate (she doesn't love being a Bert, she just can't help it)

Offline Prideth

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Rainbow Sparkle Pony Power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »
My husband is wonderfully supportive of all of my hobbies, including pony collecting.  My collection EXPLODED when I discovered the Arena and the yearly fairs and I had more access to ponies (thanks, internet!). 

I think my husband encourages/supports my pony collecting because it makes me happy.  I've also made some really sweet friends here on the Arena, so the pony community is important to me as well!  It's fun and it wipes my stress away, and my husband will always promote those things.  He's a champ!

Wishlist    Trade  Prideth Reference Sheet

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »

Lol, I can't imagine how someone could get joy/happiness/fulfillment from doing vigorous exercise but hey, that's just me. :P But if my spouse would decide it's a good hobby I would not put him down for it. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
Ponies are too cutesy-poo for his tastes, but my sweetie is happy that ponies make me happy. ^.^ (He's even happier when I get pony mail from overseas and give him the stamps.) He collects unicorns, but he likes realistic unicorns. Oddly enough, he also loves Fluffle Puff.
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
Boyfriend isn't a fan but he tolerates them! I don't know how he'd feel if I tried to get him to actually watch the shows but he thinks it's cute when I get excited about collecting. He has his records, I have my ponies, it works out.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
Well my hubby doesn't really question my collecting as he collects buildable Gundam figures (more commonly known as Gunpla.) I have my little corner of my living room for my ponies and he has a display cabinet in our bedroom for his Gunpla.

He makes custom gundams and he recently purchased an airbrush to do them with. He's allowing me to make ponies with them too!

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 10:03:30 PM »
My boyfriend Jay and I actually discovered MLP: FiM because his brother is into it. I was getting ready to send a box to their family (we live about 8 hours apart) and remembering that Bryan (Jay's brother) loves Pinkie Pie, I thought sending him a Funko of her would be cool. I started looking at those and found out about the show.

When I was talking to Jay about it, he went, "I watched the first season and thought it was good. I didn't tell you because I thought you hated ponies." (Huh?) I never watched MLP growing up--my parents had me and two boys and their solution to prevent Saturday morning cartoon wars was to convince us all that shows written for girls weren't written as well. (They have since admitted they have no clue--they just had two sons and one daughter, so math won.)

Anyway... I went and watched some of MLP:FiM, got hooked and am planning to go pony-crazy when I go birthday shopping later this month (Target, Toys R Us, WalMart, etc.). I have money to spend, Jay is sending me a birthday 'box' of things and I know some of those will be pony related, my cake is going to be Pinkie Pie, and my youngest brother is getting me something pony related and my second youngest is taking me to Build-a-Bear if they can confirm they have the MLP buildables at the one closest to us (it's like a 2 hour drive, so we definitely care about location).

Plus Jay and I have always planned to decorate our home with toys and collectibles from games, TV shows, cartoons, etc. so the ponies will fit right in. We plan to put more 'us neutral' things in places where we both are with other people (gaming/living room for example) and to put more quirky or 'potential explanation required' things in our office, bedroom, etc. It's just gonna be us and a couple dogs or cats, so we'll have lots of space to indulge in our hobbies regardless of what we love at that moment.

I'd say I'm very lucky. I have many people in my life who may not always 'get' why I love the things I love, but they do 'get' that those things I love are a part of me and that me and my hobbies are pretty much a package deal.

I can't think of a better way to celebrate being 33 years young than with My Little Pony. Can you? :D

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal