collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular pony opinions!  (Read 36137 times)

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular pony opinions!
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
I think the name "alicorn" is dumb. Maybe I'm missing something- but why not call them "pegacorns" or "unipegs"? Where does  the "ali-" come into play?  *AM* I missing something?

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »
I think the name "alicorn" is dumb. Maybe I'm missing something- but why not call them "pegacorns" or "unipegs"? Where does  the "ali-" come into play?  *AM* I missing something?
Alicorn is the name of the material a unicorn's horn is  made of. Or the name of the material made from unicorn's horn. Way before Friendship is Magic started using it, I've seen the term Alicorn applied to winged unicorns. I'm not sure when it originated or where but from what I've seen it's been pretty synonymous with that breed of magical horse. I also think alicorn rolls of the tongue a bit better and sounds a little less like something a 5-year-old would call 'em(Trust me, I did it, too). And in terms of naming a real hybrid animal, there is actually a system for it. The name refers to which species the parents were. Mules and Hinnys, though being the same species hybridized are named differently since their parent's genders are swapped around. EX: Mules are Female horses and male donkeys where as a Hinny is a Male horse and a female Donkey.  If I remember properly the arrangement of the animals used in the name combination also considers the animal's father first. It works for real world taxonomy but try getting an entire fandom for fictional equines to conform to some sort of naming rules. Especially when there are no biological guidelines to fall back upon, the only rules are our imaginations.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:05:48 PM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:14 AM »
As far as I know, the term "alicorn" was first used for winged unicorns in Piers Anthony's books.  From there MLP fans picked it up.  It wasn't the ONLY word used, of course, but it's always been one of the more common ones (along with "winged unicorn" and "unipeg").  :)

Personally I don't like "pegacorn" or "unipeg", they just sound very awkward to me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:23:29 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »
"Unipeg" and "Pegacorn" sound ridiculous  :lol: And...winged unicorn? Eeeh. That just sounds clumsy to me. Alicorn slips off the tongue really nicely and sounds a bit more dignified and more fitting of creatures that are goddess-like within canon.

Shimmer - that's really interesting about the naming of hybrid animals!

I thought of another opinion that's likely be to unpopular :lol: I don't like the wings on G1 pegasi. They look....lumpy and awkward...
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 09, 2015, 06:24:11 AM »
As far as I know, the term "alicorn" was first used for winged unicorns in Piers Anthony's books.  From there MLP fans picked it up.  It wasn't the ONLY word used, of course, but it's always been one of the more common ones (along with "winged unicorn" and "unipeg").  :)

Personally I don't like "pegacorn" or "unipeg", they just sound very awkward to me.
It's always refreshing to see someone who knows that "alicorn" was used to described a winged unicorn before FIM came along, and that it's not a brony thing. :)

I personally like alicorn best, maybe because it's what I heard first, but it just flows best for me.  Unipeg sounds like a place, and Pegacorn sounds like a type of candy.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 09, 2015, 06:52:18 AM »
  Unipeg sounds like a place, and Pegacorn sounds like a type of candy.

HAHAHAHAHA- I agree they both sound ridiculous, I just don't understand where alicorn came from (I do now) and I've been calling them pegacorns since I was a little girl! Still have trouble saying it...alicorn.

Another thing I find a little quirky about the G1 line is the way in which they "aged" the ponies. Sweetheart Sisters are the older sisters of the MLP's, so they are slightly taller and have longer legs. Then there is the Bride pony who is taller than the SHS and slender as well. THEN there are Dream Beauties who are ponies "all grown up". And yet- you have standard G1 ponies with their baby counterparts...Up, Up and Away and baby, for example. I'm not really complaining, bc I love all G1's. Just find it amusing....

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #246 on: March 09, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
I think the term Alicorn is very clever, especially in relation to MLP, because to me it sounds like you are saying the character s an "All-a-corn". Which, in a way, is true. Regardless of actual species, all Alicorn start off with the base of an earth pony. (Everything but a sea pony does, basically). The difference comes in with being further classified as either a unicorn or a pegasus. And then the "All" / "Ali" title comes in when a pony obtains the last part of the three contributing races it was missing.

Sea ponies and flutter ponies both annoy me as someone collecting in 2015. With sea ponies, if kids put them in the water they may have problems that I currently don't have the skills to correct. With flutter ponies, they just look broken without their wings. If these had been released today I might like them, but as someone hunting for them as vintage toys they present a real headache. (And I know I'll eventually need at least one example of each, since one of my goals in collecting is to represent the history of gen 1.)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #247 on: March 09, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
I thought the Sweetheart Sisters were youngish, like teenagers?  Just really TALL teenagers, I guess!  I think that impression comes from the Prom Queen set, that's like a high school thing, right?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bluemoon.hk

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
I'm really scared of Pinkie Pie.
Maybe because she tends to ruin things, and I don't see what's so beneficial with having her as a friend.
I don't like noisy people/ ponies. I just think that if she's real, she's going to be a total pain.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2015, 01:31:24 PM »
Pinkie Pie needs a little bit of medication tweaking.  ;) 

The peek a boo thing kinda creeps me out.  Also, how am I s'posed to rehair one of them when I can't get the thing-a-me out of it's head??
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:36:43 PM by rybett »
:socks:   :frog:

Brightsong

« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
I really love that little retro Firefly that was released recently.. y'know, 'Firefly and Illustrated Book'? That one. Pretty sure I'm in the minority there, though. ^^;;

I want that pony so bad. o.o  I actually really like reproduction ponies, in general, although I don't have any of them.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
ALI, comes from Spanish word "ALAS " = Wings  and or Latin  ALA = Wing    :biggrin:

So Not really Dumb at all :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:43:06 PM by HoustonCollector72 »
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »
I thought the Sweetheart Sisters were youngish, like teenagers?  Just really TALL teenagers, I guess!  I think that impression comes from the Prom Queen set, that's like a high school thing, right?

You mean they're not supposed to be teenagers?  I always assumed they were, like you because of the prom queen set.  They're like the models of the MLP world LOL 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
Maybe because she tends to ruin things, and I don't see what's so beneficial with having her as a friend.
I don't like noisy people/ ponies. I just think that if she's real, she's going to be a total pain.
Yeaaaah, she really comes across as a fictional character who would be a terrible real person.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »

I used to think I was a bit like Pinkie Pie, but she's quickly become more annoying and a nuisance than helpful... it's sad.  I'm fine with people who are noisy/loud (as I can be that sometimes) but I have to agree that she's mostly a pain.  The funny thing is that people seem to forgive her character flaws, but bash other ponies for theirs.  At least this is what I've noticed on other forums.  -_-
Instagram / Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal