collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular pony opinions!  (Read 36092 times)

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular pony opinions!
« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
None of these would necessarily be a problem on their own, but there is an almost bludgeoning sense that male ponies are totally and utterly worthless / inadequate.

...I've noticed that about other male characters in the show as well.  Spike I give a pass since he's still a "baby", but I get where you're coming from with the others.  And this isn't something that I see discussed often/at all, so I'm glad to see someone bring it up.

My husband usually watches FiM with me and he sometimes comments on how there are no males of note. He jokes that the females just keep a few males around for breeding and hauling things like in a dystopian sci-fi...
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
None of these would necessarily be a problem on their own, but there is an almost bludgeoning sense that male ponies are totally and utterly worthless / inadequate.

...I've noticed that about other male characters in the show as well.  Spike I give a pass since he's still a "baby", but I get where you're coming from with the others.  And this isn't something that I see discussed often/at all, so I'm glad to see someone bring it up.

My husband usually watches FiM with me and he sometimes comments on how there are no males of note. He jokes that the females just keep a few males around for breeding and hauling things like in a dystopian sci-fi...

Well Hasbro has never exactly been a bastion of gender equality or neutrality in there shows and toylines...I'm half-convinced they're still stuck in the 80s in that sense  :shrug:

Hasbro Suit: Either the boys kick butt or the girls do! You can't have it both ways people! But once in a while we'll throw the opposite gender a bone
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:18:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

MagicStar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
I understand that FiM was designed for little girls. But at the same time, is teaching them that men are stupid / lesser any better than cartoons that teach boys that women are objects or damsels in distress?

Yes! It is better, not on it's own, but in the context of society, absolutely. The thing is, the vast majority of shows do this but opposite, presenting female characters in this light. So by doing this, it is more 'evening the score' in the subconscious of kids than actually making them consider males inferior (unless MLP was the ONLY show they watched.) The reason it stands out so much is because we are so used to the other way around. If you really think back on a lot of kid's shows, it's easier to notice that most do this in reverse, but it's so ingrained we usually don't pick it up. So this is actually a refreshing change and really healthy for kids to see! :lovey:  (e.g. "this show is all boys and one girl that needs saving, but MLP is the opposite so I can see them both either way!" )

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
Unpopular opinion:
I don't care for plushes. Especially customs of g4s.  :lookround:

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
On the males are inferior bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gate_to_Women%27s_Country

I see some parallels...
:socks:   :frog:

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »
I understand that FiM was designed for little girls. But at the same time, is teaching them that men are stupid / lesser any better than cartoons that teach boys that women are objects or damsels in distress?

Yes! It is better, not on it's own, but in the context of society, absolutely. The thing is, the vast majority of shows do this but opposite, presenting female characters in this light. So by doing this, it is more 'evening the score' in the subconscious of kids than actually making them consider males inferior (unless MLP was the ONLY show they watched.) The reason it stands out so much is because we are so used to the other way around. If you really think back on a lot of kid's shows, it's easier to notice that most do this in reverse, but it's so ingrained we usually don't pick it up. So this is actually a refreshing change and really healthy for kids to see! :lovey:  (e.g. "this show is all boys and one girl that needs saving, but MLP is the opposite so I can see them both either way!" )

Yeah, I totally agree with you!

And really, there's quite a few positive male characters too - what about Cheese Sandwich, although he's a one-off, or Shining Armor, Mr. Cake? I don't consider Big Mac 'socially awkward' either, I think he's just quiet, which isn't a 'negative' trait so much.

I mean, if you look at it, EVERY character has a lot of moments where they're goofy or useless - some would argue that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, having become mere stereotypes of their S1 selves, would be the most negative portrayals of women on the show! ;) So IDK if I think FiM is anti-male, it just has a lot of goofy characters in general, male and female. They just happen to have female heads-of-state as the mature "adult" stand-ins, which is why it feels so jarring - it's atypical for a children's show, unfortunately.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »
much to people's dismay, I actually enjoy the lack of g4 poses for their brushable line. It makes displaying them much easier as there is not much of a noticable difference in them besides having a hoof raised, horn, wings, etc

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
I love every generation and type of pony though G1 is my favorite.

I don't really like mint ponies. I very rarely buy a pony from a store most are from yard sales and thrift stores.

I love when there is a name written on the pony.

I like regular pony hair on the plushies, but it does tangle easily.

I prefer customs and neat fakies.

Offline frizzycat

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Plastic Candy
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »

Yeah, I totally agree with you!

And really, there's quite a few positive male characters too - what about Cheese Sandwich, although he's a one-off, or Shining Armor, Mr. Cake? I don't consider Big Mac 'socially awkward' either, I think he's just quiet, which isn't a 'negative' trait so much.

I mean, if you look at it, EVERY character has a lot of moments where they're goofy or useless - some would argue that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, having become mere stereotypes of their S1 selves, would be the most negative portrayals of women on the show! ;) So IDK if I think FiM is anti-male, it just has a lot of goofy characters in general, male and female. They just happen to have female heads-of-state as the mature "adult" stand-ins, which is why it feels so jarring - it's atypical for a children's show, unfortunately.

I don't see Big Mac as socially awkward either. To me he seems generally confident and self assured, he just doesn't like to talk. He minds his own business and doesn't bother getting caught up in other ponies issues or drama.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »
I don't see Big Mac as socially awkward either.  He reminds me a lot of my dad and his brothers: solid, dependable, silent men. They aren't ones to brag or to go in for macho posturing, they just get the job done.

(Another example of that kind of guy would be Farmer Hoggett from "Babe".)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »
With the sole exception of Milkweed and Tumbleweed I do not love the Newborn Twins
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
I think my most unpopular opinion is that I LIKE UK PONY NAMES BEST! And I will always use them, because they're part of my childhood, and to me preserving that is important. As a kid I didn't have Sugarberry, I had Strawberry Fair. I didn't have Princess Royal Blue, I had Princess Sapphire. It's a nostalgia thing. If I renamed them all US names, they wouldn't be my ponies any more. This obsession spreads to the point I sold my MOC Sugarberry because the name on the card isn't the right one I grew up with, and I don't regret it one bit.

I'm actually really sad it's such an unpopular opinion, actually, because online ID is so US-name-centric. With so many Uk people online now, you'd expect it to be more balanced, but I guess not...

I also actively dislike the Funko toys, and have no idea what the appeal is. I also am not at all attracted to the Blind Bag ponies. Maybe this is an unpopular G4 opinion, but with a few exceptions, I find the EQG dolls more appealing than most of the G4 ponies.

Staying out of the G4 gender debate, having not seen enough eps to contribute.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
I am not a fan of blind bags. I was in the beginning, but now they are too hard to keep up with.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
I think my most unpopular opinion is that I LIKE UK PONY NAMES BEST! And I will always use them, because they're part of my childhood, and to me preserving that is important. As a kid I didn't have Sugarberry, I had Strawberry Fair. I didn't have Princess Royal Blue, I had Princess Sapphire. It's a nostalgia thing. If I renamed them all US names, they wouldn't be my ponies any more. This obsession spreads to the point I sold my MOC Sugarberry because the name on the card isn't the right one I grew up with, and I don't regret it one bit.

I'm actually really sad it's such an unpopular opinion, actually, because online ID is so US-name-centric. With so many Uk people online now, you'd expect it to be more balanced, but I guess not...

*Nods*
I agree with this, I have Lollipop (and custom Baby Lollipop now), I didn't even realise til recently they're called Sweet Tooth elsewhere.
I definitely prefer the names I grew up knowing :)

Jules x
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
I am not a fan of blind bags. I was in the beginning, but now they are too hard to keep up with.
Same! XD it's just like LPS all over again for me! Dx
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal