collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular pony opinions!  (Read 36098 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular pony opinions!
« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2015, 07:36:30 PM »
I think the name "alicorn" is dumb. Maybe I'm missing something- but why not call them "pegacorns" or "unipegs"? Where does  the "ali-" come into play?  *AM* I missing something?

I feel the same way. I was under the impression that an Alicorn was a human with a Unicorn's horn. I remember reading a fantasy book but I can't remember the name of it. I just call them Winged Unicorn, like Whisper the Winged Unicorn or Unipeg, because that's what I called my carousel horse.

Post Merge: March 09, 2015, 07:39:09 PM

I thought the Sweetheart Sisters were youngish, like teenagers?  Just really TALL teenagers, I guess!  I think that impression comes from the Prom Queen set, that's like a high school thing, right?

Maybe like yearlings? How they aren't as filled out as the adults? Though I don't think Hasbro put that much thought into it. Probably because toys were starting to head towards the thin is in trend or something. Or its cheaper for them to make.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:39:09 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2015, 10:23:37 PM »
OMG, I think the alicorn thing is so dumb too!! :P Like, hello, pegasus-unicorns? winged unicorns???? literally anything else!? :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:44 PM »
OMG, I think the alicorn thing is so dumb too!! :P Like, hello, pegasus-unicorns? winged unicorns???? literally anything else!? :lmao:

Cornipegs :lol:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »
One thing I don't care for in FiM is how, for the most part, male must either equal stupid (Snails and Tails), socially awkward (Big Macintosh), in need of female guidance (Spike--he does just fine until he's featured in an episode.) or evil / in need of redemption (Discord). None of these would necessarily be a problem on their own, but there is an almost bludgeoning sense that male ponies are totally and utterly worthless / inadequate. At least there is "Sweet and Elite" where FancyPants has some intellect.

I understand that FiM was designed for little girls. But at the same time, is teaching them that men are stupid / lesser any better than cartoons that teach boys that women are objects or damsels in distress? I don't necessarily think all cartoons should be created from a 'let's teach our children gender equality' standpoint. I think they should be fun things for kids to watch. But the way that Friendship is Magic drives this underlying stigma home is extremely shocking to me. Is this normal for cartoons aimed at little girls? Did I just grow up watching "boy" or "gender neutral" cartoons?

Don't get me wrong: I like FiM. But that is one aspect of the show that drives me up the wall. :lol:

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #259 on: March 10, 2015, 02:52:38 AM »
"Unipeg" and "Pegacorn" sound ridiculous  :lol: And...winged unicorn? Eeeh. That just sounds clumsy to me. Alicorn slips off the tongue really nicely and sounds a bit more dignified and more fitting of creatures that are goddess-like within canon.

Agreed :) Alicorn is a much nicer word to say. As a child i used to call them Winged unicorns because i literally couldn't think of anything else to call them, but in hindsight it is  a bit of a mouthful XD And as you've said, Unipeg and Pegacorn just sound daft XD

Here's another unpopular opinion, I really don't like Gusty. Not her character on the show or her toy. Her character always annoyed me as a child and her toy is just meh.

I also don't believe white Windy is actually a thing. Even when someones shown me one it just looks like a faded Windy. I mean it doesn't take much for Windy to fade. (on another note Windy is a weird name when you're typing it by itself like that lol XD)

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2015, 06:52:52 AM »
I'll need to put a protective colander on my head before announcing this but... I'm really not a fan of perfume puff ponies; their cloudy hair just ain't my bag.  :whistle:

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2015, 07:11:47 AM »

Pegaunisuscorn.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
Pegaunisuscorn.

Ponyqueen for the win! Lolol

Or...Unipegacornasus.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »

Pegaunisuscorn.

Seeing that word has momentarily driven any intelligent thoughts out of my head.

I don't like how they made MLP Tales Patch, she was such a pretty pony and one of my faves, but the toy just looks yick

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
I wish they'd made the MLP Tales ponies in baby pony poses since they're grade schoolers or junior high kids.  I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion though.

I know some people don't like the snaggle-toothed First Tooth poses, but I think they're cute.  The tooth doesn't bother me. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
I wish they'd made the MLP Tales ponies in baby pony poses since they're grade schoolers or junior high kids.  I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion though.

I know some people don't like the snaggle-toothed First Tooth poses, but I think they're cute.  The tooth doesn't bother me. :)

The first tooth babies are some of the prettiest and I fully intend to get tic-tac-toe and bouncy but I don't like the tooth at all.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
Oh, i don't like the tooth.  It's more like I sort of stop seeing it after a little bit of having a FT pony.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
One thing I don't care for in FiM is how, for the most part, male must either equal stupid (Snails and Tails), socially awkward (Big Macintosh), in need of female guidance (Spike--he does just fine until he's featured in an episode.) or evil / in need of redemption (Discord). None of these would necessarily be a problem on their own, but there is an almost bludgeoning sense that male ponies are totally and utterly worthless / inadequate. At least there is "Sweet and Elite" where FancyPants has some intellect.

I understand that FiM was designed for little girls. But at the same time, is teaching them that men are stupid / lesser any better than cartoons that teach boys that women are objects or damsels in distress? I don't necessarily think all cartoons should be created from a 'let's teach our children gender equality' standpoint. I think they should be fun things for kids to watch. But the way that Friendship is Magic drives this underlying stigma home is extremely shocking to me. Is this normal for cartoons aimed at little girls? Did I just grow up watching "boy" or "gender neutral" cartoons?

Don't get me wrong: I like FiM. But that is one aspect of the show that drives me up the wall. :lol:

This is interesting, I need to think about it a bit more though  :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:57 AM »
I didn't like how the G1 ponies had wildly different accents but all seemed to be from the same place.  Where did you come from Truly?   

I also think FiM Apple family's accents are out of place.  I know so many people that eventually lost their accent after spending so much time with "mainstream", it seems odd that Applejacks and Appleblooms are so strong.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 10, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »
None of these would necessarily be a problem on their own, but there is an almost bludgeoning sense that male ponies are totally and utterly worthless / inadequate.

This is exactly why I don't like Shining Armor as a character.  For him to be the captain of the Royal Guard, he hasn't really done anything to prove that he's worthy of that position other than plot convenience.  To me, he's completely useless and I've noticed that about other male characters in the show as well.  Spike I give a pass since he's still a "baby", but I get where you're coming from with the others.  And this isn't something that I see discussed often/at all, so I'm glad to see someone bring it up.
Instagram / Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal