collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My First Time Sunfading!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
My First Time Sunfading!
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
I won an auction a few nights ago and there is a poor, poor, Whizzer.  She has one spot of regrind, but otherwise no major flaws.  Oh, yeah, except for all the ink on the one side!   :blink:

I gave her a quick wash, tested the ink with some acetone (won't budge), and I unfortunately have no Magic Erasers (but I think Whizzer is beyond that).

I have her hair covered, her eyes and symbols painted, and I'm about to put her in the window!  It's a southwest exposure and gets nice afternoon sun, but not for very long.  Hopefully it will do the job of just fading the ink and not the plastic :)

BEFORE:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
Re: My First Time Sunfading!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Good luck; I hope she clears up nicely for you! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
Good luck; I hope she clears up nicely for you! :)

Thank you!  I think I'm going to do the same with these two...they're cream colored & not white.  Although, I am not looking forward to painting all those berries!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:57:01 AM »
Good luck! I think Baby Moondancer may be on the Do Not Sunfade list, so I'd be careful w/ Baby Glory.

I just sunfaded an adult Glory and Moondancer (to de-ivory) them and they look amazing! I'm really excited by the results. They look nearly new.

I'm planning to sunfade a Bow-Tie to brighten her up . . . I'm a little concerned about it though. I'm not sure how blue ponies do. Also may try with a Firefly . . . ?

I'm looking forward to seeing your results!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
Good luck! I think Baby Moondancer may be on the Do Not Sunfade list, so I'd be careful w/ Baby Glory.

I just sunfaded an adult Glory and Moondancer (to de-ivory) them and they look amazing! I'm really excited by the results. They look nearly new.

I'm planning to sunfade a Bow-Tie to brighten her up . . . I'm a little concerned about it though. I'm not sure how blue ponies do. Also may try with a Firefly . . . ?

I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

Oh, really?  Hmm...apparently I need to keep an eye on all white ponies.  It's worth a shot!  I added paint to the cheek blush (didn't think to do that before reading the past threads) and added tape around those foil gaps.

BEFORE:

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Good luck with your sunfading! I've yet to try it myself, but I've a pretty discoloured TAF Sweet Scoops coming my way I may have to give it a try on.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »

I've sunfaded Sugar Apple to fix head-body mismatch and it worked well so sure worth giving it a try! :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »
Good luck :) Cant wait to see the results!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

robinharper

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
Good luck and curious for the results!!!!!

Hugs
  Robin

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:59:09 PM »

I've sunfaded Sugar Apple to fix head-body mismatch and it worked well so sure worth giving it a try! :)

Thanks for letting me know! I have a great window in my new apartment for sunfading. I just bought a very yellowed Gusty w/ perfect symbols off eBay so I can sunfade her back to her former glory:)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
Good luck, I hope they turn out well!  Just curious, what kind of paint did you use to cover their eyes/symbols? 

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
Good luck, I hope they turn out well!  Just curious, what kind of paint did you use to cover their eyes/symbols? 

Acrylic

ponygrl07

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »
AHHH I will be watching this thread! I've wanted to try sun fading but wasn't sure about it. (I haven't done much research). I have a couple of ponies that are perfect except for a single highlighter/marker spot. May have to try fading them out.

Hope they come out perfect :)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
AHHH I will be watching this thread! I've wanted to try sun fading but wasn't sure about it. (I haven't done much research). I have a couple of ponies that are perfect except for a single highlighter/marker spot. May have to try fading them out.

Hope they come out perfect :)

Me too!  I forget who had Whizzer in her car (it was a recent thread)...but omg!  The sunfading was epic.  Poor darling was bleached out XD  I mean, ink is ink and anything that happens can be better since she's considered a bait at this point.

Sugarberry & Baby Glory?  I've owned others that were glorious in their pearly whiteness.  Their cream-color vinyl isn't that bad, but I know what potential they could have!  I just hope they don't burn into chocolate colored ponies.  XD 

Post Merge: December 17, 2014, 05:14:21 PM

The ink is recent, too!  There was an Ursa Minor (Moondreamers) in the lot with the same ink marks.  I think the seller had both of them laying on wet newsprint or something.

A little off-topic: The box and everything in it smelled weird - like he had them in his garage.  Smelled like varnish or gasoline?  So weird.  Faint, but noticeable.  He only lives about 20 mins from me (actually, I go to flea markets in the same area he lives, which is where he probably got the ponies).  I'm SO glad they got here quickly so I could wash them before the stink really set in.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:14:21 PM by LittleSpiffy »

ponygrl07

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »

Me too!  I forget who had Whizzer in her car (it was a recent thread)...but omg!  The sunfading was epic.  Poor darling was bleached out XD 

Knowing me I would probably forget about my pony in the window and have a super bleached burnt beauty HAHA.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal