collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My First Time Sunfading!  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: My First Time Sunfading!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
.......and now we wait!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:58 AM »
Good luck!!!!!!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

lela

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 04:11:11 AM »
Oh, what is it that you put on top of the marks them? It seems concealer pen, as you take?

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »

I thoght my eyes were playing tricks on me, but there has been a slight improvement!

Whizzer looks the same...

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
Good luck, I hope they turn out well!  Just curious, what kind of paint did you use to cover their eyes/symbols? 

Acrylic
Acrylic hardens into a plastic-like layer, right? D'you just peel it off or do you remove it by some other means?

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
Good luck, I hope they turn out well!  Just curious, what kind of paint did you use to cover their eyes/symbols? 

Acrylic
Acrylic hardens into a plastic-like layer, right? D'you just peel it off or do you remove it by some other means?

Either water or rubbing alcohol.

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
And rubbing alcohol won't hurt the pony paint? o-0 Seems odd but I guess it's not as harsh as acetone or nail polish remover.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
I wonder how the paint will come off of the glitter symbol...
The biggest thing you need to watch out for when sun fading is if the pony has cancer spots and if the discoloration is an even brown.
Cherry Treats, Chief, and Starshine are the main ones I can think of to avoid sun exposure if they have any of those symptoms.
I have faded quite a few in my herd, I usually wrap them in tin foil. Had a sugar berry in a window for about 5 months, no fade to her symbols here, the sun just isn't strong enough. The only thing I haven't had luck fading is yellow hi-lighter marks. For some reason they don't budge.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
And rubbing alcohol won't hurt the pony paint? o-0 Seems odd but I guess it's not as harsh as acetone or nail polish remover.

Nope - because its a different base ;)

I dont use the technique with glitter symbols because it will remove glitter (although not all of it and not any paint but enough glitter I prefer just to be patient with tinfoil)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
Got the paint off Baby Glory after realizing paint on glitter wasn't the best idea. 

Whizzer and Sugarberry are still sunning themselves.

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 05:03:29 AM »
Good luck! I haven't tried sunfading yet, but I have a couple ponies who could benefit from it. Maybe next summer I'll give it a shot! We don't get much sun in the winter where I live.

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
I've sunfaded a few ponies but only white ones so far-- Tiffany, Sugarberry, Moondancer, Surprise, and a few baity ones that didn't respond (one was baby moondancer-- mlp4me you said she's one of the ones that doesn't work so that must be why!)

I have a Baby Lucky Leaf who is near-mint, original curl and everything, except for a red ink stain.  I'm planning to cover everything except the stain (rest of her body included) in the hopes her body colour won't fade.  Is that wise, anyone know??

Good luck with Whizzer.  It's so rewarding to restore ponies  ^.^

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
Sugarberry's time in the sun has ended...and there are more issues with her than I realized!

So that paint I used?  Apparently it's a higher quality acrylic than I realized - I can barely budge the paint XD

Sugarberry looked much whiter than she originally did, so I took her out of the window last night and soaked her in a plastic bin of water for the last 24 hours.  That should loosen the paint, right? Erm...a little...barely.

While working off as much paint as I could, I managed to remove the paint covering the cheek blush.  Definitely was not my imagination - she is MUCH whiter as the area around the blush looks yellow compared to the rest of her body.

scrape...scrape...rub...scrub...what is this?  Discoloration around the tail hole?  Is that...IT'S TAIL RUST!  Okay, time to peek in the body...coax a bit of the head off.... MILDEW!    20+ YEARS OF MILDEW! 

Seriously, the whole body has a coating of mildew inside.  No wonder she didn't look white!  So, yeah, I have to clean her out...and what about the other ponies that came with her?  Gotta check them too >_< 

...but she looks like I'll be able to get her back in ship-shape after another hour of scrubbing, inside and out...and hair styling XD

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 11:51:30 PM »
Sugarberry's time in the sun has ended...and there are more issues with her than I realized!

So that paint I used?  Apparently it's a higher quality acrylic than I realized - I can barely budge the paint XD

Sugarberry looked much whiter than she originally did, so I took her out of the window last night and soaked her in a plastic bin of water for the last 24 hours.  That should loosen the paint, right? Erm...a little...barely.

While working off as much paint as I could, I managed to remove the paint covering the cheek blush.  Definitely was not my imagination - she is MUCH whiter as the area around the blush looks yellow compared to the rest of her body.

scrape...scrape...rub...scrub...what is this?  Discoloration around the tail hole?  Is that...IT'S TAIL RUST!  Okay, time to peek in the body...coax a bit of the head off.... MILDEW!    20+ YEARS OF MILDEW! 

Seriously, the whole body has a coating of mildew inside.  No wonder she didn't look white!  So, yeah, I have to clean her out...and what about the other ponies that came with her?  Gotta check them too >_< 

...but she looks like I'll be able to get her back in ship-shape after another hour of scrubbing, inside and out...and hair styling XD

o-o That's what I'm afraid of  with the acrylic paint! scraping off the original paint underneath the acrylic. D:

>: That stinks she has other issues, too. Are you using something specific to get out the mildew just good old soap and elbow grease?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:53:25 PM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »
Just use a warm washcloth on glitter symbols as opposed to rubbing alcohol and you should be ok. At least that's been my experience but of course proceed with caution.
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal