collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's with Mimic?  (Read 5233 times)

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Mimic?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
A MOC Mimic sold for $1300 on eBay the other day.  :blink: I'd love to have her in my collection one day, but there's no way I can spend $100+ for a pony. Hopefully I'll get lucky and be able to get her for a lot less. I can dream, right?  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
I remember the church to the Holy moc mimic! :)  Is Icefeather still around? And do people with moc mimics still come to horrible fates that end with the destruction of said pony?  Even back in the late 90s it was nothing for her to sell for $60 to $70.  But I think her price is due more to demand than anything. That early joke from way back when maybe has snowballed and continued on to today?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:56:24 AM by silverdawn »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
well, since we're at church!  :P

I'm here STARING at G3 Sunrise Song... praying she'll become rare too!
 :drunk:

http://strawberryreef.com/Index/Name/sunrisesong.html
my fanon says their cousins you see.

EDIT:   Later.....   POOOOOOF

LOLelujah !

(original image from strawberry reef)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:03:52 PM by gabumon »

ponygrl07

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »
well, since we're at church!  :P

I'm here STARING at G3 Sunrise Song... praying she'll become rare too!
 :drunk:

http://strawberryreef.com/Index/Name/sunrisesong.html
my fanon says their cousins you see.

EDIT:   Later.....   POOOOOOF

LOLelujah !

(original image from strawberry reef)

HAHA I saw that and thought they are like twins now

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
I was one of those that wanted mimic  when I was little but since I am in the UK we did not get a relise of her I acutually did not think she was ever made.  Then I joined edit here and my hunt started.  If you keep looking you will be able to track down a reasonable priced one.  I did and she is in fantastic condition.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
According to the Wiki, her production run was small, making her rare and sought after.

More accurately, the whole year 5 of twinkle-eyes had a short production run; Mimic was not produced in any fewer numbers than say, Bright Eyes or Quackers.  Speedy is numerically more common since she was a reissue from the previous year though.  Also note that the UK got only Locket and Tic-Tac-Toe of this set, which also drives the demand for the ones that remained NA exclusive.

Mimic's popularity over the rest of her set is driven by demand, not supply - an uncommon pose, being featured prominently in her own multi-part cartoon arc, and unusual color combination, plus hype.

Thanks for the info. I was curious about that, as Mimic doesn't seem to show up less often than Bright Eyes or Quackers. Mimic also seems to be found at thrift shops surprisingly often. I also wondered why the other TE ponies from that year do seem to show up more often. Now I know!

I seem to recall hearing that Mimic actually WAS produced in fewer numbers - or at least shipped out that way.  I believe it was hathorcat that confirmed that there were fewer Mimics per box than the other ponies of that set when they first went out to stores.  I could also be completely wrong.  All I know is that I love Mimic because she was my favorite pony from the cartoon, I've always loved the color green and birds, and she was the one pony I remember wanting worse than anything when I was a kid that we could never, ever find.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Nope they were boxed in the same quantities per box :) It was a standard 6 set assortment - I have sales lists from that year and the set could be purchased in 12, 18 or 24 assortments - with 2, 3, or 4 of each pony in it.

As others have said its just popularity. Red Roses, Princess Taffeta, Baby Leaper, Diamond Dreams and Lemon Treats all suffer the same kind of inflated price in comparison to their set companions. The more people who want them the higher the price they can command.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
I remember the church to the Holy moc mimic! :)  Is Icefeather still around? And do people with moc mimics still come to horrible fates that end with the destruction of said pony?  Even back in the late 90s it was nothing for her to sell for $60 to $70.  But I think her price is due more to demand than anything. That early joke from way back when maybe has snowballed and continued on to today?

Oh -- Icefeather? That name is really familiar. I was in the pony community in the late 90s, early 2000s; did she have a popular website or something? (aside from the 'church') I wish I could remember!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
No, Mimic was not produced in fewer numbers.  :)

There were six TEs sold that year (the five new ones and one add-on from the previous set, Speedy) and they were sent out to stores in boxes of 24 ponies, with 4 of each pony in the box.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
I remember in the early 00's trading with someone in Canada for her Mimic (I forget her name!  Her real name started with a "C" and she had also traded MO pamphlets from her childhood that she began to fill out, but never sent in <3).

Then I needed money and sold off the majority of my collection.  I believe I sold her for a little over $100 around '04.

I waited. And waited.  And WAITED for another Mimic to come back into my life (I, too, cannot afford to spend $100 on a pony).  Then I found her!  A -minty- Mimic this summer at a thrift store!  She was in a bag of G3's.  It's the stuff that pony dreams are made of!  I refuse to part with this one!

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
While we're on the subject, I don't see the big deal about Rapunzel, either.  I'm sure it's very rare, but beyond that, I don't see why people want her so bad.  Not to mention that for that kind of money, I could probably get a bunch of G4 Fashion Styles and G3s.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
While we're on the subject, I don't see the big deal about Rapunzel, either.  I'm sure it's very rare, but beyond that, I don't see why people want her so bad.  Not to mention that for that kind of money, I could probably get a bunch of G4 Fashion Styles and G3s.

I think once you've been collecting for a long time...and have nearly every US pony...Rapunzel becomes a major want.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »
IDK, I always thought she is over valued. There usually a few on Ebay, yet I can't find other ponies that go for less than half. *shrug*

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
I'm tired of seeing the constant outrageous auctions for her :/

I'm waiting until she comes up as a BIN from $50-$100 ($125 being my max)

Or wait until someone from her or the TP sales her for an affordable price e__e
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
Dug this out of the annals of the past--  (Church of the Holy MOC Mimic)

"Our Mimic who art in our Pony Room, Hallowed be thy name...

We humbly ask thy will be done, bless us with this pony one. We ask thee to temporarily paralize the fingers of those who try to outbid us, and if they be a zero bidder, may they endure thy wrath and suffer thy trespasses. I may forgive those who trespass against us, but maybe i won't :) Because you led us meekly into this temptation, so deliver us from evil, AMEN"

But my favourite bit is 'Fakie Hell'

http://www.geocities.ws/churchofmimic/fakie.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal