collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's with Mimic?  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
What's with Mimic?
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
Browsing Ebay, I noticed a Mimic going for $149.99. :whoa:
What's with her, why is she so expensive and lusted after? I read somewhere a while ago, if I remember correctly, that "back in the day" she was hardly given a second thought, no one was overly fond of her color scheme and she wasn't horribly rare.
What changed? Suddenly she's this creature of legend now and everyone wants her. And I mean she's cool, she's got this neat tropical, almost Mexican vibe, but she's not too different from any other pony.
Did she suddenly become rare or something? Did everyone suddenly just go "Oh my god I never realized my soul-pony has been sitting right in front of my eyes all along" or something?
I'm pretty curious.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:50:00 PM by Kingsly »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Mimic?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »
She's been sought-after (and therefore expensive) for quite awhile. She was selling for between $75-100 back when I first started collecting almost 5 years ago. I'm not sure what it is about her, though. Personally, I don't really care for her.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:24:59 AM »
It's kind of a sociological thing.  She wasn't rare, she wasn't shortpacked, but she's kind of a novelty because her colors are so bright and her symbol is pretty unique.

So at first her price was somewhat higher than her setmates because of that.  Then it a little higher than that.  Then a little higher still.

It just kept building and building until we got to the point where we are today.  But yeah, I remember when she was only $40 instead of whatever she goes for now.

Another good example is Red Roses, who was a $5 pony from an unpopular set for years before her climb to fame.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:30:40 AM »
I have wondered the same.. But I guess it because people want it. So the demand is high and then they are ready pay more to get her and sellers did notice that too..

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:26:09 AM »
Anyone else remember the Church of the MOC Mimic?   back in the day lol :good:

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:07:22 AM »
Mimic gets more threads than any other pony I think :lol:
My Wish List

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:26:03 AM »
Did everyone suddenly just go "Oh my god I never realized my soul-pony has been sitting right in front of my eyes all along" or something?
I'm pretty curious.

LOL at "soul-pony" ... Mimic, where have you been all my life? According to the Wiki, her production run was small, making her rare and sought after. You can always say you have a rare, expensive pony, but isn't a collectible really only worth what someone will pay for it? There was probably some eBay seller who put a $150 price on her, she sold, and she's been going for that ever since. Also, I believe there's an Arena member who has a Mimic army, so that might help keep the price high.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm not crazy about her, even if she was super common and five dollars on ebay I wouldn't be interested in her, her color scheme and symbol is very unusual and I think that these days she's become a sort of Status Symbol to collectors and they just keep jackin up the prices because they know people will pay it. I've seen her close to 400 and I shake my head and wonder why.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
I don't think I would pay any of those high prices for her, but I've wanted Mimic ever since I was a child.  I think she's beautiful.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 08:38:08 AM »
I don't think I would pay any of those high prices for her, but I've wanted Mimic ever since I was a child.  I think she's beautiful.

maybe you could get someone to customize a mimic/or you could if your one?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ajmeier55

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
Anyone else remember the Church of the MOC Mimic?   back in the day lol :good:

Wants to hear more about this  :)

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »
If Peachy became a collector status symbol, she'd be selling for 150 dollars as well. :P

I think her pose is somewhat rare, though.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
According to the Wiki, her production run was small, making her rare and sought after.

More accurately, the whole year 5 of twinkle-eyes had a short production run; Mimic was not produced in any fewer numbers than say, Bright Eyes or Quackers.  Speedy is numerically more common since she was a reissue from the previous year though.  Also note that the UK got only Locket and Tic-Tac-Toe of this set, which also drives the demand for the ones that remained NA exclusive.

Mimic's popularity over the rest of her set is driven by demand, not supply - an uncommon pose, being featured prominently in her own multi-part cartoon arc, and unusual color combination, plus hype.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
I really put her as if only in my dreams would I get such an expensive pony. Then when I had her I was very in awe of her uniqueness. I finally watched all of the golden horseshoe story and loved her even more. I feel the same way about Rapunzel I love to have her but I doubt I will get her anytime soon. I guess it isn't until you get a certain rare pony in person that it becomes more special. I drag Mimic out now and then just remember I have her.

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
According to the Wiki, her production run was small, making her rare and sought after.

More accurately, the whole year 5 of twinkle-eyes had a short production run; Mimic was not produced in any fewer numbers than say, Bright Eyes or Quackers.  Speedy is numerically more common since she was a reissue from the previous year though.  Also note that the UK got only Locket and Tic-Tac-Toe of this set, which also drives the demand for the ones that remained NA exclusive.

Mimic's popularity over the rest of her set is driven by demand, not supply - an uncommon pose, being featured prominently in her own multi-part cartoon arc, and unusual color combination, plus hype.

Thanks for the info. I was curious about that, as Mimic doesn't seem to show up less often than Bright Eyes or Quackers. Mimic also seems to be found at thrift shops surprisingly often. I also wondered why the other TE ponies from that year do seem to show up more often. Now I know!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal