collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Nostalgia  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Nostalgia
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
I was watching the first Ninja Turtles live action movie the other night and took a trip down memory lane. ^.^ I first saw that movie when I was five or six, and I remembered parts of it; I was afraid my childhood memories would be ruined when I saw it again, but I like it even better now. It's not a bad movie. See the 1990 trailer for all the cheesy goodness . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJPwRWaZBI

I used to play with my brother's Ninja Turtles and I even got my own one year; I can't remember who it was, but I think it was Leonardo. My brother gave them all away a year or two ago, though. :(

Anyone else into TMNT when they were little (or now)? Remember the movie? (Interesting coincidence that the newest movie officially comes out tomorrow, too . . . )

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
I love the turtles so much!! Raphael was always my favorite from the movies.

I'm also super excited to see the remake. It looks so good.

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
Oh man I loved that movie! My best friend in kindergarten owned it and I went over to her house sooo many times to watch it! I never did get any toys but I was obsessed with that movie.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:41:34 AM »
It's funny that you started this thread, hubby and I saw a preview for the new movie and talked about how we thought the new version of the turtles almost makes them look frightening compared to what we grew up with.

He mentioned wanting to watch the movie again if I could find it online, so I found a good copy online and we watched it tonight and it was a blast, totally brought us both back to when we were 10-11 years old. We'll be watching 2 and 3 this weekend ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:59 AM »
I'm still into TMNT. I doubt I will be ever over them :) I still have my Donnie action figure somewhere :)

For me, it was the second cartoon that really got me hooked. I remember the old movies and the first cartoon as well - but then it was just a franchise I couldn't relate to. The cartoon seemed too goofy for me, but the movies had left me with a huge impression, especially the first and second one. And I'm like SwordPony - I also liked Raphael the most. Still do, in any incarnation. Seriously, Turtles Forever was probably my favorite movie of the franchise though. So many multiverses and turtles fighting together. It was truly epic :D

I also really like the last movie, the first CGI one called TMNT. I think what won me over was the way they portrayed characters and I loved the little nods to the previous 3 movies. I'm curious about the new movie (it's not out yet in my country), especially since I wasn't happy with the little glimpses of what I've seen before the trailers came out. I'm still wary of casting Megan Fox as April and with friends we're joking that Bay just wanted to make a film about Biker Mice from Mars, just confused them with turtles... But I loved the trailers (love the look of the new turtles) and can't wait till I'll see the movie too :) I think Raph's line of 'Lets go save my brothers' from the trailers won me over :)

InkyMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:00 AM »
My brother is 8 years older than me so I grew up surrounded by the Ninja Turtles. He used to make his own Turtle Bases and accessories because we couldn't afford the big playsets. We only really watched the First Cartoon and I think he saw the Original Movies, but I don't remember them at all.

I do remember however being completely smitten with Michelangelo and I think I even named a rabbit after him. Also that episode where April had her brain fused with a cats brain so became a sort of "cat" person for a day.

As far as I'm concerned, the new movies don't even exist.  >_< Humphh. Judgemental Momo is Judgemental.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:39 AM »
I used to love tmnt, used to watch it with my brother and dad. I can't really remember much of it however.

Im excited that build a bear is releasing tmnt plushies, im really tempted to buy one, not that I need any more toys, they are so cute!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Yay, I'm glad other people like TMNT! :biggrin: I looked on Rotton Tomatoes and the newest movie isn't doing so great so far. It has a 19% rating from critics and 65% from audiences. It sounds like the consensus is that Michael Bay/the moviemakers took themselves too seriously, leaving out the fun ridiculousness the franchise is known for, but that it's not a terrible movie. I'm not sure if I'll see it (probably not in theaters, anyway), but I'll have to catch up on some of the others! And just maybe buy back a few childhood ninja turtles. :blush:

I do remember however being completely smitten with Michelangelo and I think I even named a rabbit after him. Also that episode where April had her brain fused with a cats brain so became a sort of "cat" person for a day.

Michelangelo is my favorite, too! :biggrin:

He mentioned wanting to watch the movie again if I could find it online, so I found a good copy online and we watched it tonight and it was a blast, totally brought us both back to when we were 10-11 years old. We'll be watching 2 and 3 this weekend ;)
I want to see 2 and 3 now, too. I can't remember if I've ever seen 2 and have never seen 3.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
How odd, I was just poking at turtle stuff yesterday :0

I do remember watching this movie in theatres but only bits and pieces :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »
Yeah I really loved those movies.  I didn't care as much for the third one though.  I first saw them when they originally aired on TV.  If you look in imdb.com it talks about goofs for the movies--things like seeing the actors head through the puppet head.  When the DVD's came out they took that stuff out.  I remember seeing some of those goofs on TV, but as a kid you don't really seem to notice (for me at least).

My brother had sports figures of the turtles, like each one was dressed in gear for either baseball, football, etc and their actions and accessories would reflect on their sport such as arm movements for baseball, etc.

My favorite character was Donatello.  I remember my brother and I had this set that came with a face mask, elbow and knee pads (to look like the turtles elbows and knees) and they also came with the turtle's weapon of choice and we would pretend to act like the turtles fighting bad guys.  I had a Donatello one which came with his signature bo staff, which you had to screw together as it was on top and bottom half pieces.

I remember we had a NES version of the cartoon, which was hard for me.  I remember watching the cartoon some.  I think my brother also had the standard Shredder figure with the purple cape and a super Shredder figure.

I remember seeing the trailer for this new movie and they do sort of remind me of the 90's movies but the turtles look overly muscled, but I do like them better than the animated movie that came out before it.  I kind of want to see it though.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
I just came back from seeing the new movie, and thought it was pretty good. Not the best movie ever, but a lot better than the third TMNT movie. If anything, I did wish it had more "turtles" and less "humans", but overall I liked it. I'd give it an 7.5 or 8/10.

I always have a soft spot for the TMNT. Grew up watching the old VHS tapes of the 80s cartoon, currently a fan of the Nickelodeon show, and watched all four of tne previous movies. Donatello is my favorite turtle.  :P
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
YES!!!!!! Me and my brothers used to watch Ninja Turtles all the time. Donatello has always been my favorite. I have been wanting to buy the old movies for quite a while now because I have been wanting to watch them so bad but they never come on tv and they aren't on Netflix either...that I have seen. I do agree that the new movie makes them look more like monsters. My daughter likes watching the cartoon and whenever she sees the movie turtles she says EWWWYYY!! I think the old ones were rather cute :)

Has anyone seen the new LARP TMNT that just came out???? I don't normally buy the figures but how could I pass up Donatello dressed up as a wizard. It is amazing!!..............I am tempted to get the whole set.

And thanks for the review Milky...I am glad to hear that it is a decent movie.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
I haven't seen that movie in so many years!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
I never really got into them when I was little. I did have some boys in my class that were really into them.  I really hope they are excited about it all :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
Oh boyyyyy I was crazy about them.  My grandma even sent me movie trading cards while I was at summer camp...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal