collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys that used to scare you as a child  (Read 5499 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Toys that used to scare you as a child
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
Dolls in general. My brother ripped the head off one when I was a kid and scared me from them. He was such a jerk, LOL.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
DIVA STARS! *runs and hides*

Offline sweetapple

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 05:17:59 AM »
I was ok with dolls and clowns and Furbies, but when I was about 4 I was terrified of Bumble Balls! They were really popular at the time and I would see them in so many people's houses  :freak:
If anyone ever turned one on I was out of the room in a flash..

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
^ I had to look them up so I could remember them.  It's kind of cute that you were scared of them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Bren41882

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
My cousin had Jill Cricket and Corky's big sister the doll was about 2 feet tall talked moved her head eyes mouth and arms. I was petrified of the thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pvt89Dz9FY

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
I wasn't scared of much as a kid, thankfully.

Someone mentioned Alf. Oh God. I can't even think about it without it terrifying me. In fact, it's wierd as anything with an elephant like nose gives me the heebie jeebies!! Yet elephants are just fine for me... huh.

I once had a nightmare about a mafia looking Heffalump... he threatened to kill my family.

The only toy I remember being afraid of was this cheap, dollar store dinosaur. He is similar to an elephant/tapir and he was all brown/black. He had red eyes. I swear those eyes would glow at night and it was coming to get me. I used to have to throw clothes over it so I wouldn't be up all night worrying for my life.

It's funny cuz my wife found it at my Moms after I told her the story and banished it from my sight ever again (I assume she threw it out as I haven't seen it since then, thank god)
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline Melodia

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Eurobeat Pony
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »
Dr Seuss characters/books/art scared me when I was little.

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
Furbies. Had a two part nightmare about them, and to this day I remember it vividly.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2014, 04:55:32 AM »
To this date I don't know what it was, but there was this picture of some hairy troll/goblin thing in a toy catalogue and I was so scared of it my parents had to burn the catalogue so I would never see it again. :lol: I'm not even sure if it was a toy that was actually sold or just an illustration. Argh, now it bothers me I can't remember what it even looked like exactly, Google offers no help either... I think it was black or dark brown and all covered in hair. I don't know, maybe it wasn't a toy because I don't remember ever seeing the thing again. Fortunately!

My mum also had (and still has) an antique doll that used to scare me and my sister, it's no wonder though because the doll had no eyes... she had had glass eyes but they'd fallen inside her head and would rattle if you shook the doll. Haha. I don't even know why she brought the doll in as you can imagine how creepy that empty stare was! Maybe she dreamt of fixing the doll one day, I don't know.

Other than that I can't remember any toys I was scared of, most of my scary childhood memories relate to movies and TV. The Groke... brrrrrr. And I just watched 'An American Tail' the other day, I love the film now but I remember that giant mouse thing they built to drive away the cats scared me when I was little. :P

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06:43 AM »
And I just watched 'An American Tail' the other day, I love the film now but I remember that giant mouse thing they built to drive away the cats scared me when I was little. :P

There were a lot of really scary scenes in that movie. I liked the movie best when I was a little older, because a good portion of the film just made me feel uncomfortable.

Nothing scared me more than that scene where these bugs start following Fivel, and when he turns around they all fall into the water and get eaten by that... that thing. I've looked for it on both Youtube and Google image, but I guess it's just too scary even for them. Yikes.

What's scary about the giant mouse creation at the end of the movie is that it's based on an real, actual thing! A friend of mine studied abroad in Italy and saw it in a parade during some festival. The pictures he took were equally scary.

Offline sweetapple

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »

Post Merge: August 25, 2014, 11:38:14 PM

And I just watched 'An American Tail' the other day, I love the film now but I remember that giant mouse thing they built to drive away the cats scared me when I was little. :P

There were a lot of really scary scenes in that movie. I liked the movie best when I was a little older, because a good portion of the film just made me feel uncomfortable.

Nothing scared me more than that scene where these bugs start following Fivel, and when he turns around they all fall into the water and get eaten by that... that thing. I've looked for it on both Youtube and Google image, but I guess it's just too scary even for them. Yikes.

What's scary about the giant mouse creation at the end of the movie is that it's based on an real, actual thing! A friend of mine studied abroad in Italy and saw it in a parade during some festival. The pictures he took were equally scary.

Holy moly, that mouse of Minsk was real? :blink: I'd be running for the hills if I saw that at a parade!

And I agree about the creepy fish thing that ate all the bugs, (though I used to like mimicing the munchy sound it made when it ate them :p) I do have a screenshot on my computer, but that would look out of place on here

Yeah, that movie has a lot of dark parts, which is something I just love about it. And there are plenty of warm golden moments to balance it out. It's a beautiful film ^.^

Getting back on topic, did anyone else simply have a fear of balloons? I did when I was little, and to this day I'm still uneasy around them. I suppose it's because I don't like sudden loud sounds and with balloons you just never know..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:45:20 PM by sweetapple »

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 03:32:50 AM »
I did some digging and found that it's actually a parade float from the carnivale of Viareggio. Unfortunately, I could not find any information on the specific float due to everything being in Italian, but I did find some pictures.

Mods, I initially started typing this up with the pictures under a spoiler, would that be alright? They are a little bit upsetting but they are still works of art. Apparently every float is made completely of paper mache, which is impressive in its own right!

But I don't want to step on any toes or break rules either, so if the creep factor is deemed inappropriate, I can take it to the PMs, no problem.  :)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
ET toys, and even though they aren't really toys, I felt really disturbed by the Garbage Pail Kids cards. I CANNOT believe they still sell them in stores!
 I have a doll that I would find creepy if it was anyone's but mine. XD Its one of those 3' tall dolls from the 60's that is kind of an odd mix of a babyish face and a pre-teen body. She is emotionally significant to me, so I don't see the creepiness at all. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal