collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Underappreciated movies?  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Underappreciated movies?
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
We've got a thread about bad movies, how about one about hidden film gems?  Movies that are out there, that are great, but just aren't that popular.

My favourites are:

Foxfire (1996) - One of Angelina Jolie's best performances in my opinion!  Very edgy mid-90's teen movie.
Starman (1984) - Very touching story.  It's sci-fi for people who don't care much for sci-fi and Jeff Bridges is amazing in the movie.
Brother Bear (Disney 2003) - I have no idea why this movie isn't more popular.  Stunning visuals and amazing animation and a great story.

I'm sure I can think of more.  What about you guys?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated movies?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
Great idea, this is the kind of thread that really comes in handy for me. I'm always interested in watching movies that didn't get a wide release but are absolutely amazing in just about every other way.

I love your choices, Foxfire was a favourite of mine back in the 90's. I have always adored Brother Bear, I cry every time I watch it, and omg the Canadian Moose are hilarious :lol:

The Whole of the Moon - 1997 Teens + Cancer w/ a combination of strength, honesty and love and you get an emotional roller coaster that you won't forget.
What Dreams may Come - 1998 This movie was beautifully done, one of Robin Williams best performances. The subject matter has always fascinated me and I think this is a movie that many people haven't seen, but should if given the chance.
Playing by Heart - 1998 With a roster of famous actors and 5 storylines each dealing with matters of the heart, this movie is full of moments that will make you laugh and make you cry. I enjoyed each of the 5 stories, and no matter how many times I've seen this I still get just as choked up as the first time around. Wonderful movie!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
I love, love, LOVE Breaking Away(1979).  I think it is pretty under-appreciated because I can't say I can remember ever talking to someone who has seen it.  It is absolutely brilliant.  It is at once funny and touching.  The film is about this boy who is obsessed with cycling and chronicles his journey to figure himself out and achieve his goals.  He also has these terrific friends who basically take the movie from "excellent" to "absolutely brilliant".  You won't regret watching it!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
Brother Bear is a good one  :)  And sadly the only one mentioned that I even know of!  Starman sounds fascinating, maybe I can watch that sometime.

I have an underappreciated kids' movie, City of Ember.  It is based on a book for I would say early-teens age.  Part of the ending is a little strangely/cheesily done, but the story is so fascinating I rewatch it all the time.  It is about an underground city built to be a "Ark" for humanity following some kind of apocalyptic event (not really described), and focuses on two kids as they uncover the Big Secret.  I read the book(s) too, they are also great.

Its hard to differentiate between under appreciated and just plain obscure!  I also enjoy Teahouse of the August Moon, a 1950s comedy in US-occupied Okinawa (yes it is a comedy, and has some hilarious one-liners) and Phar Lap, which is basically a "horse movie" that I watch for all the horse action, lol.  If you liked The Man from Snowy River you would probably enjoy Phar Lap.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
Fly Away Home, Foxfire, Matinee.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
I saw Fly Away Home in theaters back in the day.  It was great!

Adding 'Iron Will' (1994) to the list.  I'd almost forgotten about it, then it hit me when Stormy mentioned Fly Away Home.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:59:42 PM »
Hmmm...I would say...the Iron Giant, Waterworld, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney).  The Iron Giant is amazing..one of the few animated films that could make me cry and I think it deserves more credit. Waterworld was made fun of by everybody when it came out but I loved it. I remember watching it over and over again when I was a kid. It was one of me and my brothers favorite movies to watch. And I was also really into the Hunchback of Notre Dame when I was kid....and it seems that movie has completely been forgotten by Disney. I had the sheets and the toys and everything. But you go to the Disney store and there is no Quasimodo plush!!??  You know I want one right?:nod:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
Fly Away Home, Foxfire, Matinee.

I loved Matinee!! I totally forgot about that one. Hmmm, some lesser-known movies I love...
Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead (1991) Starring Christina Applegate. I went to a drive-in double-feature to see Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and this movie and I expected to love Robin Hood and hate Babysitter and it was the total opposite!
The Haunting (1963) This is still my favorite scary movie and still scares me, but in a fun way. If I ever go to the UK I am going to stay at the hotel they use for the haunted house! Also, the Liam Neeson version SUCKED and I love Liam.
aaannndd...
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Hard to explain. I thought I would HATE it and I actually really, really loved it. It does come with a curse, though. Be ye warned.

fun thread!

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 05:15:44 AM »
The Trumpet of the Swan, a lovely animated story featuring a mute swan who tries to tell another swan that he loves her. It sounds cheesy at first, but... it's one of my favourites...  :blush:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 08:18:33 AM »
I saw a movie called Far And Away once that I really liked but no one had ever heard of it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

clonecommander

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Seemed like everyone except me and one other person couldn't stand it! Okay, the CGI was a little rough, but when Anakin Skywalker was called 'Sky-guy'.....That was pretty funny and it was cool getting to see the face behind the helmet (in regards to the clone troopers). That was back in 2008 and that got me hooked on Star Wars.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
One of my favorite movies of all time: "What's Up, Doc?" from the 70s and starring Barbra Streisand. I have almost never met anyone else who has seen that movie. The only people I know who know it are people I specifically sought out on the internet.

It's a sort of remake of the 1940s movie "Bringing Up Baby" which is also a kind of under-appreciated classic. :)

Sarah Jo

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
Penelope with Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Peter Dinklage, and Reese Witherspoon. It is so awesome and yet I never hear of anyone having seen it..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472160

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Tribe(s) featured in brackets.
Whale Rider (2002)- Based on the book by the same name. A young Maroi girl tries to find where she belongs in her family and tribe. (Maroi)

Into The West (2005) Tells the story of two families in the mid 1800s, one white and the other Lakota. This is one of my favorite Native American films and I can't say enough things about it.

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee (2007) Based on the book by Dee Brown. Tells the story of the massacre at Wounded Knee (Lakota).

Older Than America (2008). A young woman (played by the director Geogina Lightning) is haunted by dreams of her dying mother. Deals with the Native/First Nations boarding school system. (Ojibway)

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Heart and Souls starring a darling Robert Downey Jr!
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal