collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Underappreciated movies?  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated movies?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
I love, love, LOVE Breaking Away(1979).  I think it is pretty under-appreciated because I can't say I can remember ever talking to someone who has seen it.  It is absolutely brilliant.  It is at once funny and touching.  The film is about this boy who is obsessed with cycling and chronicles his journey to figure himself out and achieve his goals.  He also has these terrific friends who basically take the movie from "excellent" to "absolutely brilliant".  You won't regret watching it!

Omg yes! I know it and love it too! There are so many quotes in that movie that we use in our family. But I think our fav has to be the cycling nut's dad who is fed up with his son's Italian obsession, and when served some pasta by his wife cries out "Give me some real AMERICAN food! Give me some French fries!'  :lol: :lol:

baby_yoyo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 05:05:50 AM »
Pay it Forward - in my eyes Kevin Spaceys best film but didn't get much press at the time

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:52 AM »
Quite a lot of good Disney movies are under-appreciated. The Fox and the Hound is one. Sure, lots of people know it, but Disney don't pay it any attention, and it never has any merchandise. Same goes for Oliver & Company. And I agree about Brother Bear. I reckon Balto may have gotten more attention if it was a Disney movie, but seeing as it was by universal and didn't have much merchandise associated with it, it seems to have been generally forgotten about, which is a shame, because it's a great movie. I'd love some Balto plushies, but the thing is they're so rare that they go for tonnes of money on eBay; and I want a Steele plush because he's my favourite character in the movie but they never made a plush of him :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »
"Flight of the Navigator"
"The Last Starfighter"
"Dot and the Kangaroo"
"Ladyhawke"

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
I love, love, LOVE Breaking Away(1979).  I think it is pretty under-appreciated because I can't say I can remember ever talking to someone who has seen it.  It is absolutely brilliant.  It is at once funny and touching.  The film is about this boy who is obsessed with cycling and chronicles his journey to figure himself out and achieve his goals.  He also has these terrific friends who basically take the movie from "excellent" to "absolutely brilliant".  You won't regret watching it!

Omg yes! I know it and love it too! There are so many quotes in that movie that we use in our family. But I think our fav has to be the cycling nut's dad who is fed up with his son's Italian obsession, and when served some pasta by his wife cries out "Give me some real AMERICAN food! Give me some French fries!'  :lol: :lol:

Yay!  Another fan!  That quote is awesome.  The Dad in the movie just cracks me up when he says stuff like that!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
The Plague Dogs. Another great book from the author of Watership Down turned into another beautiful animated movie. You can watch it in full on youtube. It's a sad movie and might be frightening to small children though, just a fair warning.

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
Pay it Forward - in my eyes Kevin Spaceys best film but didn't get much press at the time

Pay it Forward was great, but man if it didn't leave me feeling sad the rest of the day. x.x

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »
The Man from Earth (2007) is never mentioned anywhere. A college professor has decided to quit his job and move away and his collegues comes over to ask him why. The answer is shocking and a discussion sparks.. The entire movie takes place in his cabin but you never notice because of the terrific dialogue.

Snow White in the big black forest/A tale of terror (1997). Even if the movie itself isn't that great, the enviroments and cloths makes it worth watching. Sigourney Weaver is pretty awesome as the evil queen.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Heart and Souls starring a darling Robert Downey Jr!
I LOVE this movie!!
Spoiler
I found it on VHS last year and gah, it makes me cry at the end with Kyra Sedgewick's character... (not going any deeper don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't saw it)

I'll narrow it down to three:

The Boy Who Could Fly- An autistic boy (who lives with his drunken uncle after his parents are killed in an accident) who dreams of flying touches everyone he meets, including a new family who has moved in next door after their father dies. A bit cheesy at the end, but I've always been a sucker for movies with a bit of whimsy.

Two Came Back-Based on the true-life story of an experienced sailor who survived the sinking of a sailboat she was helping to deliver down the Atlantic coast of the US. Lots of emotional turmoil, perseverance and sunburn. Jonathan Brandis is a big plus.

Bicentennial Man-An android endeavors to become human as he gradually acquires emotions over decades of interacting with his "family." Ok, that sounds cheesy, but this movie is worth a watch!!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
I lived Flight of the Navigator when I was a child, one of many that I watched repeatedly :blush: Pay it Forward was a wonderful movie, yet it was so incredibly sad, heart wrenching to watch. Bicentennial Man was a very touching story (seriously is there anything Robin Williams can't do?)

I'm surprised that I've seen a great deal of the movies that have been mentioned thus far, I was hoping to hear more titles I hadn't heard of.

Cabin by the Lake - 2000 I really enjoyed this movie, I thought Judd Nelson was wonderful in it.
An Unexpected Life/An Unexpected Family - 1998 I believe this movie was made for tv. It is a tear jerker for me, I really loved Stockard Channing in it.

flyawayraven

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »
The 13th Warrior. I know it was really cheesy and historically inaccurate at times, but oh man it was so good!

Gloomygirl777

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
The 13th Warrior. I know it was really cheesy and historically inaccurate at times, but oh man it was so good!

Agreed! Cheesy goodness :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »
I love Flight of the Navigator!

What about Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »
My answer to this question is always the same..... NEWSIES!!!!!!!!!!

The Trumpet of the Swan, a lovely animated story featuring a mute swan who tries to tell another swan that he loves her. It sounds cheesy at first, but... it's one of my favourites...  :blush:

Have you read the book? I love the movie, but the book is even better!

sailorstitch

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 07:31:40 AM »
My answer to this question is always the same..... NEWSIES!!!!!!!!!!

That is one of my FAVORITE movies! We actually have it coming from Netflicks today!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal