collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why did G1 end?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Why did G1 end?
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
I'm just curious as to why G1 ended instead of carrying on with slight redesigns or something. Were they not selling as well anymore, or did Hasbro think they'd had their time? Or something else? I'm curious, also what about G2 and G3, why did they end?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why did G1 end?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
I'm just curious as to why G1 ended instead of carrying on with slight redesigns or something. Were they not selling as well anymore, or did Hasbro think they'd had their time? Or something else? I'm curious, also what about G2 and G3, why did they end?

G1 may have ended for most of us '92/'93, they didn't really end until '95 with the Dutch ponies.  Short break.  1997: G2's!

Hasbro had attempted slight re-designs with the G1's (Pony Bride Mold, SHS, Fancy Mermaids, etc.)  I truly do believe that the lack of an interesting TV show was to blame.  TV show = toy sales.

I don't think Hasbro understood the importance of having a show to tie the ponies in with...so they tried the G2's.  Not quite a success here in the states (womp womp), but appealing to kids in Europe.  Yay!

When did G2's end?  '99?  Later?  I know the G3's started in '03, so it's history repeating itself (kinda).  G3's look more like the beloved G1's...they started the pony points program again (for a while)...and direct to VHS/DVD shows.  Wildly popular until kids lost interest.  Now, I personally can't stomach the G3 movies.  I don't think older children could either.  Then, when sales were off again, time for a redesign!  I don't think they needed to create the G3.5's...they should have released new characters.

So, basically, it's my opinion that lack of an imaginative TV series and neglecting to release new characters caused the demise of each generation in the past.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »

G1 may have ended for most of us '92/'93, they didn't really end until '95 with the Dutch ponies.  Short break.  1997: G2's!

Hasbro had attempted slight re-designs with the G1's (Pony Bride Mold, SHS, Fancy Mermaids, etc.)  I truly do believe that the lack of an interesting TV show was to blame.  TV show = toy sales.

I don't think Hasbro understood the importance of having a show to tie the ponies in with...so they tried the G2's.  Not quite a success here in the states (womp womp), but appealing to kids in Europe.  Yay!

When did G2's end?  '99?  Later?  I know the G3's started in '03, so it's history repeating itself (kinda).  G3's look more like the beloved G1's...they started the pony points program again (for a while)...and direct to VHS/DVD shows.  Wildly popular until kids lost interest.  Now, I personally can't stomach the G3 movies.  I don't think older children could either.  Then, when sales were off again, time for a redesign!  I don't think they needed to create the G3.5's...they should have released new characters.

So, basically, it's my opinion that lack of an imaginative TV series and neglecting to release new characters caused the demise of each generation in the past.
  G2s were in usa only for 2 years  97-98,but in Europe they ended until 2003   ( 7  Years )
It is sad that they did not get a TV Show otherwise the story would be different. :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »

G2s were in usa only for 2 years  97-98,but in Europe they ended until 2003   ( 7  Years )
It is sad that they did not get a TV Show otherwise the story would be different. :)

I remember being really excited about them (before I dubbed myself officially as a collector).  I bought the happy meals just to get some new ponies (I hadn't found them in stores yet).  Once I found them at Walmart, I was sorely disappointed.  Small, silly looking ponies (no offense to G2 lovers), with itty bitty accessories at an inflated price.  I remember standing in the toy aisle holding Morning Glory and debating with myself.  I put her back and passed on buying any G2's at full retail.  I think my personal experience is another reason why they weren't terribly popular in the US.  If they had been even slightly bigger, I probably would have started collecting them.  *shrug*

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

I remember being really excited about them (before I dubbed myself officially as a collector).  I bought the happy meals just to get some new ponies (I hadn't found them in stores yet).  Once I found them at Walmart, I was sorely disappointed.  Small, silly looking ponies (no offense to G2 lovers), with itty bitty accessories at an inflated price.  I remember standing in the toy aisle holding Morning Glory and debating with myself.  I put her back and passed on buying any G2's at full retail.  I think my personal experience is another reason why they weren't terribly popular in the US.  If they had been even slightly bigger, I probably would have started collecting them.  *shrug*

I would have been too , and lets be honest  the ponies released in USA are the least appealing ones from the G2s ,the beauties are really in the later years of the generation :) all Euro exclusives .
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
When G2 ponies were first announced, before anyone knew what they would look like, the response of the fandom was extremely positive. But when they actually hit stores, it turned very negative. To the point where they were boycotted, there were petitions, and many upset collectors. Even non-collectors wouldn't buy them for their kids because they didn't look like MLP.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
When G2 ponies were first announced, before anyone knew what they would look like, the response of the fandom was extremely positive. But when they actually hit stores, it turned very negative. To the point where they were boycotted, there were petitions, and many upset collectors. Even non-collectors wouldn't buy them for their kids because they didn't look like MLP.

Whelp, there's the answer of why the G2's were an epic fail here in the US ^_^

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »
Yeah, the pony community's reaction to G2s was bordering on violent for a while.  Hasbro didn't release any of the really good G2s over here except for Silver Swirl, and that was only for a tiny sliver of time, and only online.  Had they released Silver Swirl and the babies out in stores, the line may have won over some people.  Unfortunately the people who hated the G2s *really* hated the G2s, and it became a whole mess in the pony community for years.  It's really unfortunate because once the line picked up, the G2s became really interesting.  They had funky, bold colors never seen before on ponies.  They got some crazy accessories, and some of them were *really* well done(the sail boat is amazing if you actually put it in the water).  They even got some form of ponywear. 

There was actually an almost overlap between the G2s and the G3s in some countries, just as there was an almost overlap between the G3.5s and the G4s.  The only full break globally between generations was between the G1s and the G2s. 

As for why the G1s ended, they probably just had their time.  If you look at the line pretty much around the world, you see the same progression that the line has done for every generation.  During the early time of the generation the ponies are simple, a few simple playsets get made, and there is a decent choice of ponies, but it's not overwhelming.  In the middle of the line there's usually an explosion of different ponies and sometimes different kinds of ponies, some more involved playsets are made, and the pony aisle are filled with new stuff all the time.  Towards the end of the line you start getting funky gimmick ponies and weird stuff coming out(sometimes entire other lines like petites, Dream Beauties, etc), smaller, cheaper playsets, and less variety of actual ponies. 

It's pretty much happened that way for every generation.  Judging from what's coming out now for the G4s, we're looking at the winding down of that generation too if the patterns of the past are any indication.  I think what's happening is Hasbro tests the waters with the first group of ponies to see if people will buy them(the simple ponies and playsets).  Once they've got a confirmed hit, they churn out stuff as quickly as they can(the pony explosion).  Unfortunately the market gets over saturated, and combine that with children moving on to the next big thing, sales drop off.  Hasbro sees the decline in sales, and starts to make whatever they think will keep people interested(the gimmick ponies and cheap playsets).  When that fails to bring people back, they start over with something new.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
I have to wonder if part of it wasn't that the ponies, as they existed, were just no longer profitable to make and sell at that price?  Minimum wage here in the US went up $1 over the 10-ish years; maybe import fees and so on went up to where it just wasn't worth making them.  Very few toys in the 80's were made with the same high quality vinyl and hair as the ponies.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:14:31 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:40 AM »

I was shocked when i saw them, still never got my head around G2s. Some of the colours and symbols are really lovely though.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:50:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure what killed G3's was the Bore-7 line and then the G3.5s (shivers). G2s didn't last long in the US- I remember when TRU first got them - I was all excited until I saw them. They look like skinny donkeys to me - but at least they still had the symbol on both sides.  G3s I love the look of them but can't get over the blank flank. It still bothers me...
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
i truly never got into the g2s g3s or g4s.. The originals were well proportioned and quite beautiful.

The g2s looked anorexic, the the g3s and g4s look like alien ponies with HUGE heads and alien eyes..What the heck has Hasbro done? They just don't look like ponies anymore. Thats just me though and I know there are TONS of current MLP lovers here and I respect all of your opinions.. I guess I just feel that Hasbro did it right with their first go around.. And everything since has been distasteful to me.

For me I was a very scared child when they stopped making original MLPs.. For years I would wander the toy aisles looking for them.. The clerks gave very little information.. Just that they didn't have them in stock..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:18:32 AM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
As for why the G1s ended, they probably just had their time.  If you look at the line pretty much around the world, you see the same progression that the line has done for every generation.  During the early time of the generation the ponies are simple, a few simple playsets get made, and there is a decent choice of ponies, but it's not overwhelming.  In the middle of the line there's usually an explosion of different ponies and sometimes different kinds of ponies, some more involved playsets are made, and the pony aisle are filled with new stuff all the time.  Towards the end of the line you start getting funky gimmick ponies and weird stuff coming out(sometimes entire other lines like petites, Dream Beauties, etc), smaller, cheaper playsets, and less variety of actual ponies. 

This!

I think the line really lost its creative bearings . . . kind of like a popular sitcom that starts to recycle storylines or get a little too zany once the show starts losing steam. I would say the G1 MLP line "jumped the shark" at some point, although there were always some interesting ponies being made. For me, there are indications of Hasbro just not investing creativity in the line anymore: recycling old pony names, old playsets, relying on too many gimmicks.

In my opinion, the line got way too far removed from its original inspiration--which was that children (often little girls) dreamed of having their own real ponies. I think after a while the "ponies" really became interchangeable with lots of other doll lines.

But again, I think the sitcom parallel works well here--it's rare to keep a good thing going for years and years and years.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
G2 didnt have a tv show in Europe either but it continued to run for many years. So I dont think its TV shows to blame for the lack of its presence in the US. As a style it just did not seem to appeal to US buyers and therefore there was no reason for Hasbro US to continue with it. It happens when manufacturers completely miss the mark of their market; anyone else remember Earring Magic Ken :P [I think this still causes Mattel panic attacks]. 

As for G1, as goddess and Vale have said, it ended because it had had its time. Toys by their very nature are influenced by the style of their times. As a consequence they all have shelf life in how long they will last in a certain style. And thats true of many products and industries. If you have any products in your house which as a brand have been around for longer than a decade [either consistently or without breaks] you can be guaranteed that product will have changed in some way...new name, new packaging, new logo, new design, new recipe, new purpose, new marketing schpeel, etc. MLP are no different than that. The packaging, style, design about G1 probably felt and looked tired after 10 years. The line was in decline, so rather than continuing on, Hasbro end the line, redesign and relaunch. In the case of G2 that was a flop...in the case of G3 a success.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
I think part of it might be that the people designing G1 kind of lost focus.

At the beginning, even without a TV show there is something personal about the ponies. Even without a cartoon, when you bought a MLP, you felt like you were getting something special. Each pony had a backcard story, it's own art on the package, it's own brush, ribbon and sticker. I know that doesn't seem like much but there really was something unique about original MLP.

In comparison to Barbie back in the 80's, you got the same dolls over and over, same characters just in a different outfit. With MLP we were always getting unique new ponies every year, new themes, etc.

Everyone also has to realize that back in the early 80's not everyone had access to everything on a tv or magic hand held entertainment device. Just because the cartoon was on TV didn't mean everyone could watch it or even pick it up with the TV they had. This was back in the 3 channel days, when you might have been lucky to have good TV reception, especially if you didn't live in a big city.

Things got better for me when we got the big giant dish and I was able to watch things like Fraggle rock, and yes, finally I got to see some pony cartoons. People also have to realize that back in the day we couldn't just watch a TV program over and over or download it later. You had to wait a whole year to watch The wizard of oz again, or the sound of music or whatever.

So when we talk about the cartoon, I think people need to realize that the focus for MLP fans back in the 80's was more the toy. Sure a lot of us loved the cartoon but I think the driving force was the toy line and what we could actually hold in our hands, not what was on our tv screen.

And again, when you bought a MLP, there were so many choices of pony. This wasn't just 6 ponies that are the say. The packaging, the way the ponies looked, what they came with, they're individual story. It was unique and special.

I think farther on into the G1 line, the focus at Hasbro had changed with MLP. Instead of 6 characters in a set, they limited it to 4. A lot of the themes were kind of, well in my opinion, lame. At some point they ended the mail order program, which lost these really special ponies that you'd save up to get in the mail.

Lame ideas: like sweet kisses sweetheart sister ponies with LIPSTICK that you could remove or make reappear with water. That the ponies no longer came with interesting accessories and the colors and themes all just very tired and very repeated. There are a few bright spots at the end but then some of it just looks very uninspiring and I think a lot of that contributed to killing the line, at least in the USA.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal