collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How did you get your pets/and name them  (Read 9597 times)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
Re: How did you get your pets/and name them
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »
Rom-
We got him in March of 2004, a few weeks after we had to put our Saint Bernard Bear down. Dad happened to be visiting a junkyard and the owners's dogs had puppies. He couldn't take care of them anymore so he said he needed to get rid of them that day or he was going to kill them. So dad took one and brought it home. They were only about 4 weeks old (the other 2 pups did find homes too in case you were wondering). We hadn't planned on anymore pets, and so dad tried to smuggle the pup in the house in his jacket. He was busted when his chest barked! XD
As for his name, his full name is General Romulous. Why? ...I dunno. Just seemed to fit. He has an actual stamped dog tag on his collar and everything LOL. He acts like he runs the place afterall.

Garfield-
We had a cat named Pebbles that got pregnant back in June of 2005. She had the kittens in the roof of the shop. Garfield was one of the 4, and we decided to keep him. He's named after the cartoon Garfield because he looks and acts just like him. A fat, orange, full of attitude cat.

Nona-
She's the recent addition, we adopted her in October of 2011. She was already about 2 years old by that point. The family that owned her didn't want her anymore. One of those "We want it as a puppy but once it got big we don't want it anymore".  -_- She had a hard beginning, she was abused and neglected and spent over 20 hours a day in a tiny crate. It took us nearly a year of hard work to get her to feel more at home and not cower and tremble when someone raised a voice or lifted a hand. When she got scared, she'd run and cower in her crate. The day we brought her home, the first thing we did was rip the door of the crate off. Never again would she be confined. Also she was severely underweight (her owners thought it was "funny" to watch her scramble for meager pieces of kibble) and it took time to get her to regain healthy weight. She's doing wonderful now though! She's such a happy dog and loves to play. Her fears are gone, as are her food aggressions. Best of all, we threw out the crate because she learned not to need it! :)

Strzyga

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
Mojo, cat.

he's from stable ^^

Offline RainbowRay

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
I currently have two cats, Maddie and Ellis, who were born on my bed in 2009. The neighbour's cat, India, decided that my bed was the safest place out of both houses to have her kittens. It was exciting but pretty messy!

The kittens and mother stayed in my room for a few days before being transferred back to their own house, where they then lived in a wardrobe. I spent a lot of time observing them in both places, and made up nicknames to identify them before they got their real names. The calico girl was Adventure Kitten (she wriggled away from the nest a lot!), the two tabby/white boys were Cow Kitten and Squealy Kitten, and the tiny dark tortoiseshell girl was Little Squishy Dark Kitten (she got sat on a lot by her siblings).

The neighbours had already promised us at least one kitten from the litter and eventually we decided to keep the two girls.
Ellis was named once we realised that Little Squishy Dark Kitten shortened to LSD Kitten, which my dad found very funny, so we decided to name her Ellis Dee. Dee is her surname!
Maddie was named when dad and I came up with almost the same name at the same time. He actually thought of something like 'Addie' but we both agreed it was better with the M, and that that was probably her real name since it came to both of us at once.

I don't have many recent photos of them, but here's some older ones I like.
Maddie (and tiny Ellis in the background):
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ellis:

Our previous cat was named by my mum, who had a dream about a kitten who introduced herself as Sunshine. So she took it as a sign, and when she got the kitten she named her Sunshine. Sunny ended up being dad's cat in the end though, she didn't like anyone else!

Our oldest cats were named before I was born. Sausage because he was a big fat cat, and Fluffy because... he was fluffy. There was also a Scooby, but I don't know the reason behind her name. She died before I was born.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »
My first rat was named after a guy I had a huge crash on, Patti. My second rat was named Selina, after a song that my crush Patti had composed. Then I had Ramses, because I love Egyptian history. After that I always named my rats after movie or book characters I liked. So I had Legolas and Frodo (Lord of the Rings), Anakin and Luke (Star Wars), Jack and Will (Pirates of the Carribean).

My parents' cats are called Isis (again, we all like Ancient Egypt, and the cat just looks like a goddess) and Rusty. For Rusty it took us a pretty long time to come with it, no name seemed to fit his character. My dad chose it, it fits perfectly, he is such a little rascal, curious and a bit naught, trying out everything, not scared of anything.

Can you believe that most children here in China don't name their pets? Rabbits, hamsters and turtles are very common pets for children, and every time I ask the children what their pets' names are, they say they don't have one. How sad is that?

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
my cat Rosier (RIP) was named after my best friend who had just moved away. (last name)
i had been begging for a cat, and after a family crisis, my mom felt bad and let me get a kitten.
she was heck on four paws. but i loved her. she's the one my online id is named after.

Meshia (RIP) was my sister's cat, and i have no idea where she got the name. she was so little, and had lost her mother, so she loved people and was scared of everything else.

Etti (RIP) named Gary Gaetti by my brother, after his favorite baseball player (mn, twins).
my mom was helping my sister shop for a dog, and suddenly came home with one herself.
she said he was on clearance at the pet store. how sad huh? he was a loving little prince, though he didn't like me too much. but a great dog.

Beckett's full name is Detective Kate Beckett NYPD. Again my brother named her. she's named after the main character in all of our favorite show Castle. the name fits her really well. she's always snooping into something. we waiting about 2 weeks after Etti had passed before my mom finally decided to get another dog. she went to pick up the puppy named kate, but she had been picked a few hours before, so she got Lindsey. she had curved up on her lap and fallen asleep. my mom to this day says she tricked her. she's a hyper active always ready to play kind of dog. XD personally i think it was my corruption that helped form her into the pup she is today.

its so fun to read about other's pets.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
My family has and has had a lot of pets so I will just post my canine kids for now. :)

Elliot Rae is named after Elliot Reid from the TV show Scrubs. I adopted her from Arizona Animal Welfare League in January 2009. She was nine weeks old at the time. She is like a child to me.

Harvey James has one blue eye and one brown eye. He is named after Harvey Dent/Two-Face from Batman. His middle name was that of my late cat Richard. Harvey was six weeks old when he came home with me. He was living in a backyard in AZ without a mom.

Billy was adopted from Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah. I had been discussing adopting him for a few years. He was seven years old by the time we got to bring him home. He was a "red collar" dog, essentially meaning "staff only." You may have seen him on Nat Geo's Dogtown. :) We did not want to change his name but generally just call him Bill Butt.

("baby" photo)
Kenneth William was adopted from Maricopa County Animal Care & Control. He was headed to the e-list because of kennel cough and I could not let that happen. I told my fiance that I was headed to his work to talk to him about something, he was not upset because he had expected much worse. :lol: I do not remember how we came up with Kenneth (other than my favorite service adviser at Toyota at the time...ha) but I do like "human" names for my pets. His middle name is for Billy, whom he adores.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »
My three cats all found me, thanks to my BFF.

Samhain: Late September 2012. He turned up at my BFFs house demanding to be let inside. She had a dog (who loved cats) and still he wanted in. Couldn't keep him, so she called me and I immediately said "yes".  Now two years on, my big,black dragon cat (one of his nicknames is Toothless) is spoiled by both of our families. His name comes from the original Celtic name for Halloween. My favorite holiday and because he turned up close to the start of October. At the time he was found he was approximately seven to nine weeks old.

Elsa: Almost a year ago (June 7th) my BFF dropped her parents off at their big rig (they are long haul truckers). After a week off the road. Only to find a gray,semi long haired cat on the engine block! In the process of giving birth! Luckily the truck hadn't been turned on yet. With her father's help, she climbed up into the compartment and fished out momma cat and her four newborn kittens. That started four months of fostering all of them. Including plenty of late nights, hand feeding the smallest one (now at her grandparents house). For some reason Elsa (named after the African lion raised by Joy and George Adamson). Took a shine to me in late October of last year. We had run out of places to send her for adoption and because she wasn't a kitten. Our concern was in her being adopted. So I kept her and gave her a forever home. She is the friendliest cat I've ever owned.

Arwen: One of Elsa's kittens. She is an all white domestic short hair. Named after the character from the Lord Of The Rings books. She was gifted to me by my BFF and her parents for my birthday last year. As a "thank you" for helping to foster the litter. Of all the kittens, she was the most reserved. A true thinker but with plenty of spirit. Her and Samhain are BFFs. And she gets along great with her momma.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014, 04:31:53 AM »
Our previous cat, Sierra, came with her name and we just kept it since she was already 10-11 years old when we got her. The previous owner, a friend of my husband's, couldn't keep her since she had to move to Germany because of her job. She came back 1 year later and tried to take Sierra back but gave up when Sierra didn't give her any warm greetings seeing her again :P Sierra was a Somali:

She was, by the way, almost completely blind but was very good at finding her way around and got eyedrops every day. She died in October 2012 at the age of 16, euthanised due to a failing liver :cry:

We got our current cat, Chani from a nearbye shelter about 3 months later and she originally came with the name Momo :P We didn't think it suited her very well so we started coming up with names. I had come up with Saphira and Callie while hubby came up with Chani because she's so small. He'd recently started reading the "Dune" books and this is one of the female characters. We couldn't decide which of these names was best so a friend of our had us write the names down on a piece of paper. She then took the paper and numbered them in no particular order and we had to pick a number. We ended up with Chani as the winning name :) So it took maybe 2 weeks from we got her til we named her. In the meantime I called her Kit Kat which is still used as an endearment :P

I forgot to mention her other nickname is Moosh. Don't ask me where it came from, I just started calling her that and it stuck :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:14:22 AM by ponybabe »

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
We have a cat called Cheddar. He got his name because both David and I *love* cheese, so we wanted a cheese themed name. At first we thought Stilton, but it didn't quite fit... we looked at each other and said: cheddar. And that was that. Cheddar it is!
Here he is, doing a chest-burster impression on David :3

Before that, we've had hamsters. My very first hamster was named after a stone and a song. (sir Sten-Jörgen-mr. Christer), then I've had Minty, named afer the pony (ofc), Ritsuka after Ritsuka from Loveless, Kokosyvum after a chocolate, Snowball because he was white (but turned grey) and then lastly Pumpkin. she was a lovely pumpkin-y orange :3

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Rainfeather

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
My first rat was named after a guy I had a huge crash on, Patti. My second rat was named Selina, after a song that my crush Patti had composed. Then I had Ramses, because I love Egyptian history. After that I always named my rats after movie or book characters I liked. So I had Legolas and Frodo (Lord of the Rings), Anakin and Luke (Star Wars), Jack and Will (Pirates of the Carribean).

My parents' cats are called Isis (again, we all like Ancient Egypt, and the cat just looks like a goddess) and Rusty. For Rusty it took us a pretty long time to come with it, no name seemed to fit his character. My dad chose it, it fits perfectly, he is such a little rascal, curious and a bit naught, trying out everything, not scared of anything.

Can you believe that most children here in China don't name their pets? Rabbits, hamsters and turtles are very common pets for children, and every time I ask the children what their pets' names are, they say they don't have one. How sad is that?

Just wanted to day that I LOVE your rats. I have been a rat lover and MLP lover my whole life. Neat to see someone on the other side of the world with the same hobby's! The incoinsidence!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
My Irish Wolfhound, Freya, had passed away, leaving my boxer X Mumford all alone. Mumford didn't take it well and began tearing up the carpet, even 6 months later. It was the May long weekend, and I was looking at the Toronto Humane Society's webpage and scrolling though the available dogs when this hideous, grizzled mutt's mug caught my eye. He had one ear up, one down, the flash had made his eyes red, his lower teeth were jutting out of his jaw and were mossy and crooked like old tombstones. He looked to be a miniature schnauzer cross, and I instantly decided to drive the hour and 1/2 to see him.
When I got to the shelter, I told the staff at the front desk that I wanted to see "Wilson" They told me he was old. I said, "I know". Then they said his teeth were awful and that he'd need dental work done. "I know." They said they think he may have bit one of the kennel staff, but they weren't sure. I said that I wanted to see him anyway. They shook their heads and called for "Wilson" to be brought into the introduction room.
When he came into the room he hesitated at the door and cocked his leg right there on the doorjamb! I howled with laughter and he came over o me with his tail wagging. The staff worker said that was the first time they'd seen his tail wag the entire time he'd been there....so it looked like "Wilson" found himself a new home. They estimated his age at somewhere between 9-12 years.
It took a few days to name him....all I could think of when I thought of "Wilson" was that stupid volleyball from the movie "Castaway", but honestly, none of the names I threw at him got any response at all from him. Nothing! Mumford thought he was great, though, and stopped tearing up the carpet, so at least we had that. The third day I had him I decided to bring him and Mumford to the dog park for inspiration. After we'd been there for an hour or so, 2 huge Newfoundland dogs came up and started licking him all over. I said "Oh, god, you look disgusting!! You're covered in Schmutz!" He wagged his tail. "Schmutz?" He wagged his tail again. "You've GOT to be kidding me."
Schmutz mean "Dirt" or "Gross stuff" in Hebrew.

I just want to :hug: This is an awesome story.

He was my disgusting old man for 5 years, almost to the day. I miss him terribly. Thank you, Cat :hug:

Post Merge: May 30, 2014, 10:04:47 PM

I do have 2 other dogs....but they're Chihuahuas....if anyone had told me I'd progressively get smaller and smaller dogs and actually LIKE Chihuahuas 20 years ago I'd have laughed at them! I was raised with Labrador retrievers, owned an Irish wolfhound and a boxer-X, then Schmutz, the skanky schnauzer-thing. After Mumford (the boxer-X) passed away, I really didn't plan on getting another dog any time soon...but that's usually when something comes along, isn't it? My neighbor's parents breed chi's, and she had 2 puppies she was socializing and introducing to new situations to help them find homes. Well, one of the pups was this tiny black and white thing. She was shy and cowardly....her sister was larger, blonde and boisterous. Yeah, they were cute, but they were chi's...remember?
Anyway, after a couple of weeks of seeing them daily when Schmutz and I went out to the backyard (my neighbor and I live in an ancient house turned into a 4-plex) the little black one had glommed onto Schmutz and would follow him everywhere. When we went back into the house, Schmutz would sit at the front door looking sad until we went back out and he saw the puppy again, so one day I gave my neighbor money and well...I became a chi owner. "Blackie" had thrived under Schmutz' care and direction, and she was a JERK. She was the perfect counterpart to his "whatever" attitude. One day I got a little tired of her shenanigans and told her "Stop being such a little pischer!". She wagged her tail. "Pischer?" She wagged her tail again. "You've GOT to be kidding me."
Pischer means "Pain in the arse" in Yiddish. It's an affectionate term, though...like something a grandmother would call a mischievous child.
A year later, my friend came to me with tears in her eyes and a little white maggot of a chi puppy in her hands. Gross. Anyway, she told me its sad tale....
The puppy had been the first of the litter to find a home because of her color. The owners wanted a white puppy and that's all that mattered to them. The delighted couple waited 8 weeks to bring her home and put her down in the middle of their living room. And it sat there and cried. It didn't move, it didn't sniff around, it didn't chase the ball or follow them when they left the room. Alarmed, they brought her to their vet and there they discovered what was wrong. The little white baby was nearly blind! no one had known because she'd followed the other puppies wherever they went when she was with her litter. They returned her to the breeder and left. The breeder didn't know what to do with her....no one wanted a blindish white maggot dog. Maybe that girl with Pischer might take her? If not, they'd have to put her down, since they couldn't devote the time needed to care for her special needs.
*sigh*
Ceydia is named after the Latin name for the little worm inside the Mexican jumping bean. She lives up to her name, and jumps around everywhere and is quite the handful. She actually plays fetch with "ding-y kitty" a tiny cat stuffy with bells in its feet. She can hear where it hits the ground and brings it right back to me. She can see a little, but has no depth perception, so she can't go down stairs by herself and has to be carried. They're both INCREDIBLE dogs, and I can't imagine life without them making me laugh every single day.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:10:35 PM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
The majority of my pets (throughout my lifetime) were named after my fave famous people/cartoon characters...the rest consisted of random names.

But i'm planning to get a Sphinx from a breeder (hopefully) and name him Marilyn Manson :P
and a Bombay (or black cat) from a shelter and name him Billie Joe Armstrong

And considering getting 2 pygmy goats from a farm/breeder...me and my boyfriend are still thinking of names though :P
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
I have three cats! Ember Salem and Miss

Ember I've had since she was born, she was born to my mother's cat Tigger who is a cantankerous orange tabby that hets everyone and everything unless its time for her nap. and if she naps on you by god you don't dare move. She's now pushing anywhere from 14-17 years old?-we know she's really old she was fully grown when we got her-  so now she's aching and is more accepting of people.

Ember how did she get her name? Her fiery personality really, she was named after the Elfquest character, her siblings go adopted out, she was adopted out but returned four days later due to her being a half feral kitten who hated everyone. Turned out she was really attatched to me so we ended up keeping her.

Miss: I adopted from a lady who turned out to be allergic to cats and had to give up her pets, she had another but I only took in Miss.

Salem: Adopted right off the streets, he showed up at a co-worker's house she thinks he was dumped because of how friendly he was, there was no way he was feral at all. He does have a really high prey drive so he may been on the streets longer than thought, I'm STILL trying to get him to stop randomly attacking the girls and I've had him for about two years and nothing seems to work. Most of the time its play and I can tell, but there are some really uncalled for attacks. but he is getting better about using his claws with us, he'll still swipe at us if we pet him wrong, he's over stimulated or if he spooks or he gets a hair up his bum

name: he's black he's classy and he's sassy so why not Salem XD
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Iris Patch

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »
Our kitty was a rescue!

I never wanted a cat, didn't really like cats... in fact, we (my husband and I) were out browsing lizards at PetSmart the day we rescued Shelly. We pulled up to the computer store next to do a little shopping and saw this group of guys standing in the parking lot. They called us over, I didn't know what they wanted. Turns out there was a teeny tiny little black and white kitten on the ground. She was panting and her eyes were humongous with fear. The guys told us they found this cat and it didn't seem to be able to walk and that they were trying to figure out who to call to come take her and treat her.

My husband called around to get a vet's number (it was after hours for the ASPCA, so nobody was picking up) while I went inside the store to ask for a small box to put the kitty in. We ended up taking the cat to the emergency vet his parents use. As we pulled out of the parking lot with our new little scared friend, it started raining. I shudder to think what would have happened to our darling if we hadn't been there!

Anyway, turns out the cat had a broken leg. She had a surgery scheduled for the following morning, which meant the poor dear had to sleep in our bathtub howling in pain all night. ;_; Anyway, the operation was pretty simple (despite the huge bill) and she now has 100% mobility and control in that leg, no limp or anything. The vet has originally told us the cat was male, so we started calling "him" Sheldon, after the Big Bang Theory character. They even tried to neuter "him", which is now a running joke in our household. Once we found out she was female, the name Sheldon slowly turned into Shelly over time.

Now little Shelly is approaching one year old and she is feisty and crazy and my favorite little smushface. xD

Pics!!!!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
Loving on bootkitty! OMG so very very sweet! It's nice to know that good hearted people step up to help the poor unfortunates of the world...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal