collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How did you get your pets/and name them  (Read 9690 times)

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get your pets/and name them
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
This is my baby Jack. He is an Italian Greyhound and was a rescue from our humane society, he is about 14 inches tall and 9 lbs. He came with his name and since he responded to it we didnt want to change it. He is the light of my life.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
the dog is from a random farm near some very large golf balls where we live (some us army base in the middle of yorkshire or something). she was 1 of 13 puppies. when we went to get her it was 2 years after the loss of our last dog  :(

so as tradition I get to pick and was after one with lots of brown as the last one was mostly white. so anyway farmer goes to pick the one up I pointed at then this white rat sticks her head up and he gets her by mistake. Passes her over to me to see.

Then my mum wants to check that she is a she so farmer dude tried to scruff her so we can see well this tiny pup did not want to let go. she had already made her mind up we were her family.

anyway fast forward to the car ride home and she is on my knee screwed up in a ball. and there is everyone of us saying different names, lilly, muffin, lady anything we could think of then I say what about Megan and the pup looks directly at me. so the name stayed.

if only then we knew what we had let our selves in for

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »

Gaaah! He is adorable! Just want to smooch his pointy little nose!
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Skeen, your kitty stories remind me of Shlomo, a kitten i rescued in Northern ontario years ago! I was on the highway heading home when i passed this tiny little grey thing on the side of the highway...it took a minute for me to realise it was a kitten! Oh my gawd, this wee little thing was going to get smooshed by a truck or something! So i mashed my brakes (after checking the rearview to make sure noone was behind me) and came to a screeching halt on the shoulder of the highway. I ran back to the little ball of fluff...about 100 feet away and started panic filled (but trying to sound soothing) "Here kitty...don't go on the road, kitty...PLEASE don't go on te road!! Good kitty..." And a I hunched down with my hand out. The kitten heard me and let out this blood curdling yowl...and ran straight for me! He jumped on me and started licking my face and clamping his claws into my flesh like he was holding on for dear life! Even then i could hear his breathing and feel how skinny he was...a little bag of rattling bones. I was surprised he was still alive! I brought him back to the car and he he stayed latched onto my neck and screaming in my ear for the 1/2 hour ride home...the whole way. :lol:
I brought him to the vet and he was riddled with fleas and lice. He was so thin, though, the vet feared the treatment might kill him so she said to wait until the antibiotics had kicked in and he was gaining weight. He was maybe 4 weeks old, if that. He had such a bad upper respiratory infection that breathing was a chore...you could just see how much effort he was putting into each breath. The vet said she would be surprised if he survived at all, but i knew he was a scrapper.
Now, the problem is that I'm savagely allergic to cats. So much so that i had to stop being a vet tech...the only job I'd ever wanted to do since I was a kid. Went to college, graduated, worked in the field, then one day my allergy to cats escalated and I went into anaphylactic shock. I couldn't breathe, was brought to the hospital and spent 5 days in intensive care in 2001. It was now 2006, and my allergies hadn't gone away...if anything, they were worse. But i couldn't bring him to shelter...he'd infect the other cats. Plus he had fleas and lice. Bleh. That, thankfully, I was able to treat with tea tree oil and no ill effects, thank goodness. But i still had him for 2 stuffy athsma filled weeks.
I brought him to the shelter here in Barrie after he'd gotten better and was gaining weight. I gave them his medical records and cried like a baby when they took him away. To this day I've no idea what happened to him. I can only hope he went to a home as great as yours!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
SeashellnBubbles, I can't handle all these feels.  :'(  That is such a happy/sad story!  Poor little guy, he knew you were there to save him! 

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
SeashellnBubbles, I can't handle all these feels.  :'(  That is such a happy/sad story!  Poor little guy, he knew you were there to save him!

You know, I think you're right! I actually still have scars on my neck where his claws dug in and they got infected from the dirt and allergic reaction :lol: I wish I could go to the shelter and find out how his story ended...I'm sure he's at a good home somewhere, though, lying in a sunbeam and clawing someone else's neck...in a good way, though :)

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »

I bought my Somalian from a breeder.

I knew I wanted a cat. Being a rat-breeder for years, focussing on health and personality, I knew how important it was to support good breeders. (Pet rats have a lot of cancer these day, and live 3 years instead of the possible 7 years, due to years of bad breeding, certain dog breeds have severe issues due to bad breeding)
It is important to take care of abandoned animals from shelters and such, but we won't get anywhere if noone supports the good breeders. It is also important that there keep being people who make healthy cats. I had money, so I decided I could be a person that supports the good breeders.

Upon research the somali got my attention. It is allmost a dog. It dies without attention. It wants to be with you 24/7. Even on the loo. It cries when you leave the house. It screams of joy when you are entering the house again. I wanted that, a cat that is happy to be with me. And a curious inteligent cat. It can open doors, flush the toilet, turn on faucets, turn on the heat, open the fridge... not all that great but that inteligence is also really handy, it tells me when I have to change the litterbox, or she wants fresh water, or food, or wakes me when someone is at the door or my phone is ringing...lol.

Her name is Farty McSmellybottom. I don't think I have to explain why.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
I love reading through these stories, ive added a new beta fish to my menagerie that is currently un named, can't find something that suits him.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
Rosie came from Fairbanks Animal Control and was named ROSIE when I got her.

Chichiri came from a Craigslist in Fairbanks, Alaska and was named something else. I was also told it was a male but turned out to be female.

Bubbles came from an American Eskimo Dog Breeder in Fairbanks, Alaska. He was SUPPOSED to be a female but they left me with the male instead.  :shocked: He was so small, he spent his first night in a rats cage because I was afraid Rosie would eat him.

I drove both him and the chinchilla from Fairbanks, Alaska through Canada to New York in the middle of wintertime in 2012, along with 3 betta fish.   -_-

Sadly Sluggles past away recently. I got him in very sad shape from walmart in Alaska. He's named after a willy wonka candy called sluggles. I have only ever seen it sold in Alaska. He survived the alaska--New York trip.

Tomoe from Petco.

Mizuki from Petco. Sad pic, I know

Both are named after characters from kamisama kiss.

This is maggie. My sister found her someplace. Angry shroomish does not approve of the beagle's presence on the bed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:57:16 PM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline FluffleNuff

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • ME MYSELF AND PONY
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
I don't have a photo, I wish I did, but my dear Opal's pictures are all blurry as I was only 10 when I took them :( Opal was a special little girl, I knew from the moment I saw her! We were on our way to buy a kitchen tap, but then we saw these adorable hamster on clearance (I'm not kidding, that's the word they used) and with enough puppy-dog eye persuasion, my dad agreed to let me choose one. In the entire cage of hamsters, all of them were just minding their own business, all except one, who started to 'walk' towards me on her hindpaws, gazing into my eyes.

"That one." I said, and I brought her home.

Fast forward to three days later, when I had picked her up to play. I had left her cage open and was just picking up stray seeds on the floor, and when I looked back, she was gone. Now at this time my family was going through the lost opal crisis, where one of the fire opals on my Grandmother's ring had popped off. It was about 5mm long and we could not find it anywhere. Anyway, I was panicking, searching the near vicinity, trying to lure her out with seeds but to no avail. I sat back down, really upset, when I saw a little ball of fluff under the sofa, something gleaming in her paws. I looked closer, and the dear little girl was nibbling on the opal, trying to see if it was a tasty treat! I was so happy that I found her, AND the fire opal! So I just said, "Opal." And she dropped the opal and came crawling out to me.

My dear little baby and I were so close, I was devastated when she passed on. She was getting weak, and I was getting worried. On the day that she passed, my mum asked me to hurry home from school, "Opal is trembling and shaking." I rushed home, and picked her up. She looked up at me, holding my gaze before letting her eyelids drift close. I started bawling. I still remember the scene, she was all curled up in a ball. She truly looked like an opal in my hands.
A PONY A DAY KEEPS THE SMILES ON YOUR FACE

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
Well lemme see

Horses

Chance is my old retired barrel horses nickname. His registered name and horse track name was Folks Yawl..which seriously I cannot work with that. :lol:  I ended up calling him Chance since he was an ex racehorse that didn't do well, and then someone's back up barrel horses that wasn't trained real well. Living with me and being trained as my barrel horse was kind a "last Chance" situation for him.

DP is actually DocSmokin Princess. She's my dun/white paint broodmare, and I got her when she was six months old for my birthday as a teenager. At the time I spoiled the crap out of her and called her Princess a lot. Then Doc Bar and Gunsmoke are in her pedigree and for horses it's pretty typical to take certain bloodlines and incorporate them into names. Now that she's an older mare, and I'm an older woman calling her Princess seems silly, so I call her DP.

Red/Pig: He's my unregistered horse and a giant draftxpaint cross. I used to call him Pig because he eats sooo much and always has a pot belly even when we would ride and work every day. His body conformation is just not great (lol I love him, but he's one ugly horse and not built well). Now I just call him Red since it's short, and his coat fits the name.

Dogs

Cobi I actually named after a singer (but I won't say which one since that was years ago when I liked that band). It was one of my favorite bands, and I saw them like four or five times in concert and the lead singer was always very energetic, and my dog is spazzy as anything.

Suki: I didn't name her, my wife did. She named her after Sookie Stackhouse, but didn't want her to be Sookie, so instead we have a Suki. No matter how many times I told her that the pronunciation just isn't the same when you do that. :lol:

Rats

Ty: His name is Tyger, and I just found him incredibly beautiful and very proud acting so there you go on that one

Rikki is after Rikki Tikki Tavi of course, and he has a curious nature

Mina is after Wilhelmina Harker , because she is the more ladylike and sweet natured of my girls

Indy is after Indiana Jones because she is constantly exploring and getting into trouble

Zoe is from Franny and Zooey just because I guess, no other reason.

Most of my pets end up with names after characters from books that fit their personalities.  ;)
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2014, 07:55:52 PM »
"I went to a purebred Somali breeder and dropped close to a grand on Farty McSmellybottom...and you find that weird...why?" :lol:

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
I've got 3 pets right now

my dog Molly was adopted from a rescue by a coworker who decided they didn't want her because when they took her to the vet they said she was going to be a small dog (she turned out to be medium sized!), so she brought her to work and I fell in love with her.  She's a mutt, and I think she's beautiful :)

and I have two cats, Muffin and Buddy, Buddy showed up at my door in a rainstorm and he was so tiny and begging to come in! We just took him in and he never left! I don't know who would let a kitty that little outside during a storm anyway! I don't remember how he got his name, his original name was Stimpy but it didn't last! He's all black with a white spot on his chest. Muffin was adopted from my vet's office, they keep kittens in the waiting room that need homes and when my cat Malk had passed away they had one in there that looked a lot like him, and when we went to get it, it was gone, but Muffin was there, so we got her instead.  She's snow white with long fur and blue eyes, and she's deaf.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »
Well our two current kitties are brothers and will be 14 this year. We stole them from a drop off mom cat , there were 5 in all but we only kept two of them.  They are bobo and hobes. Hobes is named after our first orange tabby of the same name. He is a very near sighted neurotic kitty. Bobo on the other hand loves everyone and will give you face hugs and tail pats.

Offline clones_rebellion

• Evil Swap Queen
  • Trade Count: (+422)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
My kitties are Midnight and Ember. Midnight (aka Nigh Nigh or Squishy) is a solid black, double pawed ten year old male who has been with me since he was a kitten in need of a new home. Someone had found him on the side of a country road, but they couldn't keep him. I was going to give him to my friend, so when my hubby start calling him Midnight I thought it was a very unimaginative name, but didn't care since we weren't going to keep him. After two days he was snuggling with my older male kitty, Dagger (the boy in my avatar) and my hubby said, "You can't give that kitten away. We are keeping him." He's been here ever since. :) Ember is almost three years old. She is a HUGE black kitty with white toes on the front, white stockings on the back, a white belly and chest and an adorable white mustache. We got her as a kitten. I had lost a female kitty about a year prior and had my heart set on getting another girl. We just happened to stop at a Tractor Supply store one day when a family was giving kittens away. It was love at first sight. :inlove: I called her Ember in part after the pony, but also in part because she has a fiery, spunky personality. When I say she's huge, I mean HUGE! She weighs 26 pounds! I have had her to the vet and she is healthy, she is just very large framed and overweight. :P She is a very sweet lady. And the two of them get along wonderfully! :heart:

Jack is my fourteen month old German Shepherd, Golden Retriever mix. He is almost solid black with a tiny white patch on his chest. He looks more Shepherd than Retriever. He has the Shepherd head and the slender Goldie frame. He is extremely smart, he is energetic, and he is the love of my life. We couldn't decide on a name for him at first. When my hubby suggested the name Jack, my first reaction was No! My father goes by Jack and I knew my mother would hate the name (they are divorced.) But then my hubby explained that he wanted to name our puppy after one of his favorite things in the world (which I thought was cute) so we named him Jack Daniels. :P I no longer think of my father when I say my dog's name. Jack is Jack and I love him beyond reason. :heart:

~My Wishlist!~ Thank you Moonbreeze for my Atlas and Bastet siggy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal