collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How did you get your pets/and name them  (Read 9598 times)

Truly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How did you get your pets/and name them
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
My last pet that is still going strong is my lovely and very funny dove, Ayla.
I had wonderful neighbors who loved to have a few doves, when they felt they were too old too care for them correctly they asked me if I'd like one of the babies! They knew I loved the birds because I'd always care for them and also thier chickens when they were away. I asked my mum as we had a huge empty birdcage that was never used, and my mum said if I love it, then go for it :)
They let me go in the big lovely cage and find a weaned baby dove that I liked, I saw one little girl and she was so cute, and they picked her up for me and plopped her in my hands, I held her for a bit asking what they ate and things they like, and then gently took her up to the big cage and spent lots of time with her, making soft nests to sleep in and then went to get her some tasty seeds! I kept looking at her watching her to figure out a name, it took me almost two weeks! I saw the name Ayla, which means moonlight and thought it was as beautiful as she is :) also very suiting for an albino dove! I had to teach her to fly, because she just walked about on the ground, but she's now a very good flyer! She's very outgoing and talks to the wild doves all day and some have moved in to hang out with her! :D

I used to also have a guinea pig who passed away not too long ago, she was quite old (and very large! Over 35cm long and around 1.5kg!) Whom I named Marishka, after one of dracula's brides. Marishka also means "salty"or "bitter" which really suited her personality! She was a rather sour lady if you didn't give her a tomato daily, or if you happened to be a dog or mailman! I always loved the name, and it suited perfectly.

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2015, 08:52:31 AM »
this thread needs more  herps!

HI!   I'm a  reptile breeder  in Australia,
we have a bit of everything going at our house tho.

whilst i mostly   have  snakes   we also have a few birds, 2 dogs,  and  a horse.

im going to put  my  pics under a spoiler cause there's gunna be a few

reptiles
Spoiler

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

first my    dwarf  goanas ,   these  guys are ridge tale monitors  I got them 2 years ago from another reptile enthuiseist    localy   the male is  on the top there, and his  girl  below,    only the  male has a name "Freddie" 
still need to find a name that  fits for the  girl.   

next is one of my  carpet python girls  "Hazel" *(shortened  for hazelnut)

https://40.media.tumblr.com/184fbfa91c2f9e9d6ea0e2085d796e11/tumblr_inline_nm9rczA87I1rp69f0_500.jpg
and Hazels full brother Hershey's  *(like the chocolate)

... and their half brother Peanut

Peanut's full sister Miss Reese's pieces

all 4   came  from the same  breeder.

my Albino  girl  Butters  *(short for Butter finger like the  candy)

notice the pattern yet?

a little jungle python  I got in a swap for some of my  babies , this one ended up being the worst feeder. :/
Gumball is   her? name  ...  i will need to   re-sex this one but  im  %90 sure its female ...

then we have Ray-ray  *male*
and 

Honey   *female     *(they were pre-named when i got them and i just kept the names)
these guys are  a bit  diffrent from the other carpets , these are  Western Australia  carpets. 
recently  they have been elevated to  species level rarther than  a sub species of  morelia .sp. 

birds
Spoiler

Jenday conure ,  i have a pair of these    there names are "morese"  and "code"

a pair of green cheeks   I don't  have names for these  guys as they are aviary birds

other misc animals
Spoiler

some of the mice  im  keeping at the moment

and one of my rats

this girl is probably my  favrioute of the  rats, a patchwork.  but she stays  hairless 90%  of the time.

I do have more   but    there would be too many photos!
plus  half of them  don't  have names
none of the rodents really have names . and half of my  reptiles  don't either.

any how thanks for looking!

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
I have a pug who is five years old and called Cai. He is my first dog so I had a lot of time to choose a name! I heard to name Cai and really liked it about two years before I got my lovely little dog so decided that my first dog would be a pug called Cai there and then. When I finally got to choose my puppy I knew that I'd picked the right name. As soon as the little puggy curled up and fell asleep in my arms, sucking on my thumb I knew he was my Cai-Pie
Cai as a tiny four-week old puppy

Cai-Pie all grown up

Then there is Cicero and there is a story behind this little fellows name!
Cicero is an 11 month old Ragdoll that my boyfriend and I bought together after we bought our new house. My boyfriend wanted the cat to have a classical themed name, such as Antiochus or Seleucus. Other candidates were Xerxes, Alexander, Tarquinius, or if he was a girl Eurydice.

I was not too keen on these names but I have no classics knowledge myself... or so I thought.

I love Skyrim. My favorite Skyrim follower is the jester Cicero. One day I was in my boyfriends office at work and saw a book about a Roman philosopher by the name of Marcus Tulliis Cicero. I had a little giggle over it since the book just had CICERO in big letters on the side and immature was made to think of Skyrim. So when we were thinking of names for our little kitten I suggested Cicero since it is a classical name (and in no way related to a crazy character from a video game :P )

My boyfriend, not a Skyrim player, thought Cicero was a fine name so that's what we named him. If anyone asks though he is named after Marcus Tullius Cicero :P
Cicero:

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »
I love all the cute babies and their stories!
I have 7 cats and 2 dogs.
Jacklyn is the oldest and was named because the outside cat we had at the time was named Jack (he had one eye that never opened as a kitten) and somehow he chose Jacklyn (or Jack's little girlfriend) as his ONLY mate. When he disappeared, she stayed and stuck with us through three moves!

I have three cats that are her children but different litters: Forest ( a tabby whose fur looks like wood grain), and two black ones: Mira(cle) because she was the only one in her litter to make it past birth, and Scuttle(but). He is named after Scuttle from Little Mermaid because he made these weird squawking noises like that boat scene!

Elsie is my hubby's cat that he saved from drowning one night during a storm. Poor thing was about 6 wks and was seeking shelter in a run off and was being drowned. Needless to say Elsie LOVES her daddy! Mack is Elsie's daughter and has a bad back and a kinked tail that she has had since birth. Mack's markings at birth made her face look smushed and you know the phrase "hit by a Mack truck"? LOL
Mack had ONE litter and that is where Sweets comes in. Sweets was born on our bed on Mother's day about 4 years ago. Most mothers get sweets for Mother's Day..I got a cat. And an ORNERY one at that!

I actually had 3 dogs but lost my Lucy a year ago this July. She was 18. I had had Lucy since before my husband and I even met. She was a stray my mom and I took in who after littering the house with torn plastic bags and a Ricky Ricardo imitation of "you got some explaining to do" earned her name. Lucy had one litter that eclampsia robbed her of feeding. We found homes for all but one of the puppies; Einstein. Ein was first to open her eyes, run, eat solid food, and hit a clumsy streak. She has never completely outgrown that. LOL

Then my hubby brought home a stray from his patrols saying that people in the area had said someone just dumped her off. We think she is about 5yrs. My daughter named her Princess. More like Houdini with the way she finds new ways to get out, but she always comes home.

And that is the extent of my menagerie.... lol
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal