collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any other otherkin?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
Re: Any other otherkin?
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
Okay this is getting off topic so I think I'm gonna ask the mods to lock this thread. :\

I'll leave this here and if you can't understand, I can't help you, sorry.

There's really no monolithic singular belief all otherkin share other than "identifying as or with something other than human." After that it's all on a case by case basis. Just a few common examples I've heard...

Tom believes he is human now but was a tiger in a past life. Dick believes he is not human at all but a vampire. Harry believes he has a coyote soul but a human body. Mary has a strong spiritual connection with fae, but she does not believe she is one. It all varies from person to person.

Furries generally are fans of anthropomorphic animals (either humanoid animals or four legged with human intelligence. Think Disney Robin Hood versus Lion King.) and may chose to represent themselves with an animal or anthro animal avatar of sorts. The level of how much they consider themselves that character varies. My furry persona is a character I play. She's not literally me, just a way I choose to represent myself. Someone else may have a different connection with their furry persona or may not have one at all.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
But.. how can you be so adamant that furry is just simply a hobby, when we've just had people telling us that is defenitely not the case? Surely only furries themselves can say if it's simply a hobby or "something deeper". What gives anyone else the right to define furries as "simply a hobby"?

I think part of the trouble people are having understanding otherkins is that you seem unable/unwilling to answer direct questions and seem to give a lot of responses that aren't actually what people where asking to begin with. I think everyone here is genuinely interested in learning about otherkin.

Personally I feel a very deep connection to foxes and the best I can descibe that feeling is it that I considered them my spirit/totem animal. Now, apparently (according to you) that is "wrong" because I am not native american and I don't have the "right" to that belief, so am I actually an otherkin even tho I don't believe I actually am a fox?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:24:42 PM by little.fox »

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »
But.. how can you be so adamant that furry is just simply a hobby, when we've just had people telling us that is defenitely not the case? Surely only furries themselves can say if it's simply a hobby or "something deeper". What gives anyone else the right to define furries as "simply a hobby"?

I think part of the trouble people are having understanding otherkins is that you seem unable/unwilling to answer direct questions and seem to give a lot of responses that aren't actually what people where asking to begin with. I think everyone here is genuinely interested in learning about otherkin.

1. I'm a furry.
2. I've literally answered all of the questions given to me. If they're asking something else then they need to be as literal as possible
because I don't know how I could have misinterpreted any of these questions??? They seem very literal and to the point to me.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »
What? I thought you said categorically that you're NOT a furry? Have I missed something? :huh: *scratches head*

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »
What? I thought you said categorically that you're NOT a furry? Have I missed something? :huh: *scratches head*

I said that otherkin =/= furries. That's it.

Offline little.fox

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
Ok, you're a furry, but that doesn't mean you know that all other furries on the planet regard it as simply a hobby. My question was why do you think you can answer for all furries when on the other hand you are so careful to point out that all otherkin are different has different beliefs? I am sure that also applies to furries.

And yes you are answering all the questions but for example when Shiro asked why you are so adamnt that furries = hobby, you gave her the defenition of what hobby means, which was not what she was asking and comes off as a little patronizing, imo. I think we all know what hobby means.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:32:22 PM by little.fox »

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
I think I see where you and I are miscommunicating. Your definiton of furry is a hobby, right? I was asking for an impartial, impersonal definition, as apparently not all furries share your definition. :)

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Look, I'm sorry, but I have said a million times that I am talking about the LITERAL DEFINITION of something and NOT personal beliefs. I can't say any more.

Can I please have this thread locked?

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »
But that's where I'm confused. Who decides these literal definitions? Obviously people here disagree with them.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline little.fox

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
But that's where I'm confused. Who decides these literal definitions? Obviously people here disagree with them.

Yep, my point exactly.

Post Merge: May 07, 2014, 12:40:52 PM

Personally I feel a very deep connection to foxes and the best I can descibe that feeling is it that I considered them my spirit/totem animal. Now, apparently (according to you) that is "wrong" because I am not native american and I don't have the "right" to that belief, so am I actually an otherkin even tho I don't believe I actually am a fox?

Also, I don't know if you saw this, but I'd really like your point of view.  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:40:52 PM by little.fox »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
We don't lock threads on request. Sorry. Controversial threads are going to court controversy by their very nature. If the content is upsetting anyone I would suggest you take the high road that earlier posters have and stay out of the topic.

However I will agree the thread is perhaps getting a little emotional. The topic by the OP was whether anyone else identified in the same way. Why don't we try and see if we can keep to that?

Sometimes, people, its just not worth the argument.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I'd like that, I think. I guess my only request is that you don't ask any more questions because I've already answered the same ones repeatedly anyway
and the last one (little.fox's) is not something that is up to me to decide. I can tell you that using the terms spirit animal and totems are appropriation but that's it.

So, from here on out, questions will be ignored. Any kin wanna step forward and introduce themselves?

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
Little fox- I'll take a stab at your question love. Honestly I would consider it your totem or guide. I do not share the OP's opinion that only Native Americans can have a guide animal. I would say it's quite easy for you to have latched onto the traits of a fox to guide you or the spirit of an animal itself. While this isn't exactly what you're referring to, I could see the traditional "familiar" of Europe as being the same as a totem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familiar_spirit

Many times these animals were sent to guide us on journeys etc.

Where as an other kin would be more part of that animal/creature.

I had not actually heard of fiction kin and had to do a little research. I found this site, which may help explain the differences of Otherkin from Fictionkin.
http://www.fictionkinunderground.com/kinfo.html

What's a Fictionkin?

A Fictionkin is a person who identifies with a fictional race or an individual character. This can be in a spiritual way (such as living a past life as a pokemon, or as Shikamaru Nara, for example, and then being reincarnated here in this world), or in a psychological way (which is more like feeling a mental connection. Being their counterpart/alternate self in our world, which would make our world an alternate dimension). Some also believe they're a being/race from a known fictional world, but they're race/species hasn't been mentioned in the canon of the source ("source," being the show/movie/book/game/etc. that the Fictionkin's from).
Fictionkin are also called Otakukin, Mediakin and Otakin.

I also asked an elder within the Otherkin community to explain fiction kin to me because after last night I had to walk away from this thread. She explained to me that Fictionkin became popular after the movie Avatar came out. She's sure they existed before that but that movie is what brought them more into the mainstream. And like I stated earlier, I spent 15 years in the Otherkin community before hearing of them in this thread.

My personal opinion and please understand, that this is only my personal opinion. Is that Fictionkin is a type of roleplaying. Not really all that different from Furries. I've known Furries that believe they are part of their character. Much as fiction kin claim. To me, Otherkin is a spiritual path. When you take the spiritual away from it, its a game of make believe and role play. You may honestly believe you're part of this fictional character and that's okay. But to me it's not an Otherkin.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »
Ive been sitting on my hands slightly because there have been terms shot around that have more then one representation or have personally offended me.

Im not going to get into why or get upset (we are all grown adults here afterall), but I will ask every single person that posts here on out to stop, think and concider what they are saying.  Can it be interpreted another way? If so, does it have the potential to cross reference something else?

<3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
Which Avatar, the one with the blue guys or the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender movie? :-o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal