collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any other otherkin?  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: Any other otherkin?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »
I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm intrigued. I would like to know how you believe that this occurs when it comes to video game, anime etc characters. Are people born like this or incorporate their aspects? And how mentioned your kintype changed. This isn't a normally easy process so I'm curious.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
I imagine it depends on the being, just like kin who identify as things that do exist. /u\

With me it manifested after a few years of being alive. But I didn't really settle on a
specific species til I was 12 or so. From about 6-11 years was when I thought I was a Pokemon, but
didn't know a specific one. 12-15 years was when I was going with the Lucario theory and 15-now is
when I started identifying with my current kintypes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
Oh me here *waves*....I am some sort of sabre toothed cat. I am also a furry but that just happens to be an interest of mine :3.  I am always delighted to meet fellow kin. My hubby is demonkin.

I have my phantom ears almost 24/7 do you have any shifts like that?

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
Oh me here *waves*....I am some sort of sabre toothed cat. I am also a furry but that just happens to be an interest of mine :3.  I am always delighted to meet fellow kin. My hubby is demonkin.

Ooh I've never met a demonkin before! :O That's so cool!
Sabre tooth cats are awesome.

I have my phantom ears almost 24/7 do you have any shifts like that?

The funny thing is, I used to. I no longer feel spirit limbs at all anymore but with my old kintype,
I always felt a tail, ears, chest spike and those little sensor thingies on the back of my head.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 01:32:19 AM »
"Little sensor thingies on the back of my head"

No offense, but if you don't even really know what they are, you saw a photo, and it made you think "ah I want to imagine myself as that." and it seems slightly convenient how your kin changed, and you no longer felt these limbs...

From what Vertefae said, it's a more serious, deeply found connection that goes back through your ancestral links. Just seeing something one day doesn't seem like it's the true definition of other kin, or at least that is what I've read, I am not truly researched, unlike Vertefae who has experience on the topic.

Again, I don't mean to cause offence , but this really hasn't made a whole lot of sense, and the only parts that have are Vertefae's explanations. I'm not in any way involved in this, so I'm just going to sit this out and read, it's a very interesting topic, but I'm still at a loss at why you suddenly believed you were other kin.

Ps. Please don't take my wording as an insult, it's pretty early here, I've just woken up, and wording is not intended to be insulting in any way!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:10:13 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2014, 03:20:46 AM »
I think I'm too sceptic for this thread :lol:

Thanks for trying to explain, Aura. But this all sounds like a mix of belief systems. That's okay. To me this just sounds like taking the best parts of certain religions and making it your own to find balance and explore yourself. Also okay. That's what religions (should be) for, in my opinion. But you lost me at "oceankin".

I'm out, guys :)

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 04:06:41 AM »
I also still don't get it, but there a a lot of things I can't truely get like being heterosexual or being religious or being transgender... because it's hard to totally get when you're not the one experiencing it.

But I don't care. One is free to identify as what's so ever, If I can respect someone to call him/her a certain gender or bearkin in this case, I don't question it I'll just do. I'ts not my place to question people, and it is for me a small effort and for them a big joy.

Thank you for all this information about otherkin's. Allways interesting to learn about the amazing big spectrum of different people in this world.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 05:02:57 AM »
The name I've heard for people who do fictional characters is 'otakukin', but I am an internet old person and that is an old term.

Genuinely curious about this bear.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
The name I've heard for people who do fictional characters is 'otakukin', but I am an internet old person and that is an old term.

Genuinely curious about this bear.

Eh, calling oneself an otaku in general is really offensive anyway. It's like calling yourself a bank robber.

It could have been at one time, though. I don't think it makes very much sense though because not all
otherkin identify as creatures or beings from anime. :>

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 08:32:14 AM »
...I'm sorry, how is calling yourself an Otaku offensive or like calling yourself a bank robber? I know plenty of people who are happy to consider themselves otakus. Again I see you making very broad and judgmental statements about labels that other people choose to use for themselves. Again I find myself confused that someone who considers themselves to be part of a group that is misunderstood and judged would make so many negative and judgemental statements about others :\

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
...I'm sorry, how is calling yourself an Otaku offensive or like calling yourself a bank robber? I know plenty of people who are happy to consider themselves otakus. Again I see you making very broad and judgmental statements about labels that other people choose to use for themselves. Again I find myself confused that someone who considers themselves to be part of a group that is misunderstood and judged would make so many negative and judgemental statements about others :\

Because it's basically calling yourself a good for nothing. That's literally what it is in Japan.
It's their equivalent of "dudebro." This isn't "making broad statements of a label" or "judging people,"  this is
talking about a word from a language that has different meaning in its home country.

"So what does otaku actually mean? In Japan, the word can be most closely equated to the English word “geek,” but the meaning is not as simple as that. Otaku is also defined in Japan as a word that defines a person who has obsessive interests, and can apply to a wide variety of topics, including anime, manga, cosplay, collectibles and more." -CNN
While (thankfully) in America this isn't a bad thing, it is in Japan, and that's why they don't like us using the term so casually.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2014, 09:07:50 AM »
Yes, I know what the word Otaku means. But there are Japanese people who use that term to describe themselves in much the way as Americans might. Yes, some people in that culture view being an otaku as a negative thing, but the word itself is not inherently negative or offensive.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just saying that in this thread I've seen several instances of comments that come off as very negative towards others - whether you intend them to be or not. As someone who wants to be understood for being different I just think you might want to think more carefully about the comments you make.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:12:08 AM by NoDivision »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
It's a LGBT forum. There have been recent (like yesterday and the day before) otherkin threads claiming it's the same as being trans (pro tip - it is not) and it got a little more than heated. This might just be a coincidence and I might still be feeling a bit defensive/offended at those other threads.

In any case, you can't be another species. You have a human brain. It can be male, female, in between or neither, but it's still human. It's not husky or elephant or shark. Unless you want to get into reincarnation and whatnot - which is fine, if that's your thing.

Meh. I think I'm still annoyed from yesterday.

I don't go on LGBTQ+ specific forums, so you're probably thinking of somebody else. :3
Wow, people actually tried to say that? Gross.

"In any case, you can't be another species." sorry but that's what I feel.

Wait-  are you saying a  transperson, who from the day they are born, has a different gender identity than their outward appearance suggests- is somehow "gross"  and less acceptable than someone who just wakes up one day and thinks they are a Pokemon character?  :huh: Eeeeyeah.  Right.  I don't think I can continue to read this thread without saying something that may be perceived as starting a fight.  See ya.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
Having read over this thread, I'm confused on something. You say having phantom limbs is appropriative, but in that case, shouldn't the entire concept of otherkin be culturally appropriative?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »
Having read over this thread, I'm confused on something. You say having phantom limbs is appropriative, but in that case, shouldn't the entire concept of otherkin be culturally appropriative?

No? Being otherkin isn't a religion for everybody. It's a broad community with many different members with different religions, beliefs, and backgrounds.
You can't appropriate something so broad.

Wait-  are you saying a  trans person, who from the day they are born, has a different gender identity than their outward appearance suggests- is somehow "gross"  and less acceptable than someone who just wakes up one day and thinks they are a Pokemon character? 

I really don't know why you think I'm transphobic for saying that otherkin isn't a gender. It's not a gender.
How did you get that?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal