collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any other otherkin?  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Any other otherkin?
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
No, but what I mean is, there are religions like Hinduism where having been an animal in a past life is an important aspect. How is this not appropriating from that? :T It just doesn't seem internally consistent, is my problem here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
No, but what I mean is, there are religions like Hinduism where having been an animal in a past life is an important aspect. How is this not appropriating from that? :T It just doesn't seem internally consistent, is my problem here.

Because not all kin believe in past lives. It's different.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
So, what *do* all otherkin believe in?  There has to be something that ties everyone together in order for it to be an actual cultural/spiritual/however you want classify it aspect.

What I'm having trouble understanding (and please don't take offense to this... I'm still trying very hard to grasp this concept) is how your take on being an otherkin is different from how you've been describing the average Furry (please hear me out on this before you get upset).  You seem to have painted the picture that your opinion of Furries is that they aren't as serious about their chosen spirit animal/guardian animal/appropriate way to describe it animal as otherkin are and that they can just walk away from that aspect of life when they feel like it.  You said that with otherkin, it's something deeper, and yet you also said that you "used to be" one type and then just changed over to another?  How is that different than how you've depicted a Furry?  My understanding is that with spirit animals and the like, it's actually a part of you that you don't get to choose.

I can't say I understand it first hand, because it's something that I've never experienced, by my understanding of spirit animals and that sort of thing is that it's not something you can ever get away from.  Cultures and religions that have people that are what I believe could be classified as "otherkin" take this honor very seriously, and I honestly think that it might be offensive on some level to them to hear someone taking on a fictional (and I mean, as you said, video game and anime characters... not "fictional" as in creatures that have never been proven or disproven to exist, such as dragons.  Characters are created by one person's mind.  Creatures have deep-rooted lore and legends that some cultures/religions find great meaning in.  There's a difference between the two.) character as their totem/spirit guide/whatever the actual word that I can't come up with here is.  If what I've read has led me to correct assumptions, it sounds like being an otherkin is the same as being born a certain ethnicity.  You may love that heritage or hate it, but you cannot get away from the fact that it is yours.  It's not something you get to choose or change.

(Again, I have no authority on this concept and am trying to learn more, as I do find it pretty interesting.  My questions and statements are not meant to provoke, but to try to understand the actual concepts involved.)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Spirit animals, totem animals and guardians are exclusive to Native people and should never be used by anybody else. So,
if you know someone who is describing their fursona or kintype to you as such and is not Native...you should ask them to stop.
I should also ask you to use "fursona" when talking about furries and "kintype" when talking about otherkin because otherwise
it'd be appropriative to Native people. (Especially since I'm white so.)

Because furries are a hobby. That's it. They're not a religion or spiritual belief, it's a HOBBY.

This is the best I can describe otherkin:
"to put it in simple terms, someone who is otherkin identifies as something non-human, whether it’s an animal, element, fictional character/species, mythical being, or anything really. it’s usually a spiritual connection but everyone has their own way of describing their kin identity and how they connect with it."

Every kin is different so please don't lump us all into one box that believes the same exact thing. Not all of us think it's a spiritual thing, or mental, or whatever.
It's just identifying as nonhuman and that's it.
And furries are not to be compared to this because it is a hobby and nothing else. Furries don't believe they are actually nonhuman.

I'm sorry if I'm being unclear but this is the best I can do.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Every kin is different so please don't lump us all into one box that believes the same exact thing. Not all of us think it's a spiritual thing, or mental, or whatever.
And furries are not to be compared to this because it is a hobby and nothing else. Furries don't believe they are actually nonhuman.

Soooo, you just told us not to lump all otherkin into one box that believes the same thing and then proceeded to lump all furries into one box and make assumptions about their beliefs.

Yup. I wash my hands of this.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
The furry fandom is literally defined as a hobby. Saying that is not "lumping all furries into a box."

It's literally describing the nature of a fandom.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
Ho boy what a mess. Lemme try and give explaining otherkin a go. Hopefully this post isn't a mess. Mobile typing.

There's really no monolithic singular belief all otherkin share other than "identifying as or with something other than human." After that it's all on a case by case basis. Just a few common examples I've heard...

Tom believes he is human now but was a tiger in a past life. Dick believes he is not human at all but a vampire. Harry believes he has a coyote soul but a human body. Mary has a strong spiritual connection with fae, but she does not believe she is one. It all varies from person to person.

Furries generally are fans of anthropomorphic animals (either humanoid animals or four legged with human intelligence. Think Disney Robin Hood versus Lion King.) and may chose to represent themselves with an animal or anthro animal avatar of sorts. The level of how much they consider themselves that character varies. My furry persona is a character I play. She's not literally me, just a way I choose to represent myself. Someone else may have a different connection with their furry persona or may not have one at all.

I'll be kinda lurking about if anyone needs any clarification. I'm just as confused about appropriation and other social justice concepts being thrown about since I'm not terribly sure where that all fits in.

Duster reference]

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »
To the OP, have you looked at the information regarding "otherkin" that Vertefae provided? If you're not familiar with it, I suggest reading it, because the term you're choosing to use to define who/what you are and why seems to be what is leading to a lot of confusion as well as hurting/offending individuals following this thread.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
To the OP, have you looked at the information regarding "otherkin" that Vertefae provided? If you're not familiar with it, I suggest reading it, because the term you're choosing to use to define who/what you are and why seems to be what is leading to a lot of confusion as well as hurting/offending individuals following this thread.

I have to agree entirely. This thread is clearly just causing offence and discomfort. It's not affecting me, but I am worried about other people affected by this.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
Corona's description of what I'm talking about is perfect. I suggest taking a look at that, too.

Being otherkin isn't a super special club that only certain people with certain spiritual beliefs can be allowed to
identify as. It's not JUST for Pagans. It's not JUST for anybody. It's a spectrum. I don't understand why there is confusion
because there's no reason to say that only a certain kind of otherkin is valid.

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »

Soooo, you just told us not to lump all otherkin into one box that believes the same thing and then proceeded to lump all furries into one box and make assumptions about their beliefs.

Yup. I wash my hands of this.
I kind of have to agree with this. You're saying "don't stereotype all otherkin" and in the same breath, stereotyping all furries. I've known furries for whom it certainly was not just a hobby, and acting like that's the One True Definition of furrydom is...off. :/

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
The definition of furrydom is literally a hobby? It's literally a hobby, some furries do not call it that, true, but it's still defined as a hobby.

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
The definition of furrydom is literally a hobby? It's literally a hobby, some furries do not call it that, true, but it's still defined as a hobby.
Whose definition?

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »
Whose definition?

hob·by1
ˈhäbē/
noun
noun: hobby; plural noun: hobbies

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
    synonyms:   pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit
---

Furries are furries as a leisure activity. It's not a religion or anything. It's a for-fun thing.

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
Whose definition?

hob·by1
ˈhäbē/
noun
noun: hobby; plural noun: hobbies

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
    synonyms:   pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit
---

Furries are furries as a leisure activity. It's not a religion or anything. It's a for-fun thing.
I know what a hobby is. I was asking whose defintion of "furry" makes it a hobby and nothing else.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal