collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls 3..  (Read 8290 times)

Emerald Treasure

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My biggest fears about EQG is coming true..
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
Brushables take highest priority to me since I completely MISSED the unique characters. I just didn't have the time or money ($16 for a pony hurts me inside, funko) to get Sweetie Drops, Lyra, Pinkie Pie, and Spitfire. Now that the early ones are getting hard to find, I'm going through the exact same situation as with the brushables!

I just can't take this anymore! Too many regrets! >:(
(Why didn't you get Canterlot Castle, Emerald, whyyyyyyy?!)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »
If you're asking...

I don't care for Funkos at all. Their QC is frankly worse than I've ever seen from Hasbro (to the point of items coming apart in the box before they even get to the customer), they're way too expensive for what they are, and they've not yet made a character that Hasbro hasn't already, so I'll believe the new characters when I see them.

In the end, Hasbro is the brand I prefer and trust, even if they're doing something I don't personally care much about right now.

This is pretty much my opinion on Funko right now as well. I don't really understand the loads of new characters argument. They have released 12 characters so far - that's all - one quarter of those are main 6 characters and all bar 3 of them have had or are having brushable releases [and all have had ponyville sized releases]. The poses are also even more dull than Hasbros - there really only is one pose. Sure Hasbro only raises a hoof or makes a pony take a step [ish] forward but Funko could do so much more and yet all we have is ponies posed as though they are standing in a horse show awaiting judgement.

While I agree that their quality is really not great - even Hasbro dont have tails falling off in packages. :P For what they are, the market they are targeting I don't think their price is too bad. Also...and I ll bang on about it again...I just dont get ponies which dont have brushable hair. And yes I feel the same about blind bags. Non brushable hair means to me merchandise not the MLP toys/figures I love.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
I just dont get ponies which dont have brushable hair

You know, I largely feel this way myself. Gimmicks like glow in the dark stuff and sparkles do rope me in but I love doing pony hair

Star Spark

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »
Does anyone actually know how well the EQG dolls are actually selling? I'm curious if this is a genuine response to it selling better than the main line (which, even if it did, isn't necessarily evidence of customers preferring it more if there was essentially no new product in the main line for them to buy) or just a continuation of an aggressive marketing push to force their presence in the doll market. The core character strategy was present before EQG, but there was still a decent amount of "new" characters in the waves until the year the dolls came out, when the only "new" brushable was Sunset Shimmer (who of course had ties to EQG.) The comic's annual, which should have just been an extra long special issue of the regular comic, instead ended up being mostly an EQG prequel that I at least didn't find particularly interesting (no magic elements to it, only the barest connection to anything pony related)- the only part that felt like a "part" of the regular comics was the Sunset Shimmer backup (I found this annual really odd, as the comic, while meant for all ages, seems to have a much stronger adult fanbase than it does among kids, and adult fans have been far less receptive to EQG.) Even the normally paperback chapter book series got a nice hardcover "novelization" of the movie, which unlike the regular books unfortunately added little "new" to the setting or story (I guess its inclusion as part of the chapter book series is debatable, but it has the same author and basic format so I count it.) Now we have an entire year of Hasbro product that's full of new EQG dolls and barely any new brushables- and the vast majority of them require the purchase of an EQG doll! And while I'll admit I rather liked the first film (it had some cringe-worthy moments, but I think its firm grounding with the "main" FiM universe and the resulting magical elements kept it interesting) I have no idea how either of these new storylines relate to the ponyverse, if at all (it certainly can't be that central to the second film if the synopsis doesn't even make mention of it- it really just sounds a like a generic high school girl plot that will feature dopplegangers of magical ponies from a related, much more interesting universe.) As annoying as it can be to hear people complain (and I don't hold anything against those who do like the dolls) I think it's understandable to be frustrated, and even a bit concerned- while the show is still ongoing, it DOES often look to the toyline for major new settings, characters and situations to keep it dynamic.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I think it'd be hard to get an accurate number on how well they are selling... it varies from area to area and store to store :c
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
If you're asking...

I don't care for Funkos at all. Their QC is frankly worse than I've ever seen from Hasbro (to the point of items coming apart in the box before they even get to the customer), they're way too expensive for what they are, and they've not yet made a character that Hasbro hasn't already, so I'll believe the new characters when I see them.

In the end, Hasbro is the brand I prefer and trust, even if they're doing something I don't personally care much about right now.

This is pretty much my opinion on Funko right now as well. I don't really understand the loads of new characters argument. They have released 12 characters so far - that's all - one quarter of those are main 6 characters and all bar 3 of them have had or are having brushable releases [and all have had ponyville sized releases]. The poses are also even more dull than Hasbros - there really only is one pose. Sure Hasbro only raises a hoof or makes a pony take a step [ish] forward but Funko could do so much more and yet all we have is ponies posed as though they are standing in a horse show awaiting judgement.

While I agree that their quality is really not great - even Hasbro dont have tails falling off in packages. :P For what they are, the market they are targeting I don't think their price is too bad. Also...and I ll bang on about it again...I just dont get ponies which dont have brushable hair. And yes I feel the same about blind bags. Non brushable hair means to me merchandise not the MLP toys/figures I love.

I have to agree. I am fond of Lyra's color scheme so I picked her up but was incredibly disappointed with her when I get her home and opened, so much that I'm re-selling her. I think I could have done a better paint job. I also got a Funko mini recently and her tail had broken off in the package.

I'll pick up Rarity when they make her and Hoity Toity if they ever do, but that ends it for Funko and I. The most they have going for them compared to Hasbro ponies is ~show accuracy~, if that's something you care about. I'd say size too, but they're about the same price as a Fashion Style pony, which are bigger. And those extra big brushables are only ten bucks, right?

Also, yeah, EQG's popularity varies by region I'd guess. But I'd love to see some statistics too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
If you're asking...

This is pretty much my opinion on Funko right now as well. I don't really understand the loads of new characters argument. They have released 12 characters so far

Add me in with the group that doesn't really care for Funko figures and who think the Equestria Girls dolls are just kinda...meh.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Star Spark

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »
I think it'd be hard to get an accurate number on how well they are selling... it varies from area to area and store to store :c

Yeah, I'm not really expecting reliable data to be available, but if something is I'm curious- while it's logical to put focus on a line that's selling better, companies have an unfortunate habit of not behaving logically, including trying to manipulate the market to how they want it even if it costs them to do so (in the hope that the tactic will pay off in the end.) I'm just wondering if they're so keen to market these dolls that they're willing to sacrifice the pony side of things to compete with MH (since they're already basically just using the MLP branding to promote them.)

Offline frizzycat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Plastic Candy
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
My husband got me a Dr Whooves Funko blind bag. I was actually quite impressed by the quality of it. The paint job was flawless and much better than any of the hasbro blind bags. That said, the few large Funko's I've seen have has terrible qc issues, enough that I wouldn't buy them. They're asking $25 for them here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:27:37 PM by frizzycat »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »

Yeah, I'm not really expecting reliable data to be available, but if something is I'm curious- while it's logical to put focus on a line that's selling better, companies have an unfortunate habit of not behaving logically, including trying to manipulate the market to how they want it even if it costs them to do so (in the hope that the tactic will pay off in the end.) I'm just wondering if they're so keen to market these dolls that they're willing to sacrifice the pony side of things to compete with MH (since they're already basically just using the MLP branding to promote them.)

Hasbro claimed that EQG were the No1 fashion doll last year. However if you actually look at the figures and the way they worded the statement thats a touch misleading. What EQG dolls were was the biggest seller in the last week before Christmas. Which is a critical week for toy sales of course and top up presents but its also often the week people buy things because they cant find what the are really looking for :P For the rest of the year MH and Disney Princess continued to win the overall sales battle on Fashion Dolls.

However being a top seller in the most competitive sales week of the year is a strong indicator that these dolls are doing exceptionally well for them. Not to mention the fact we are seeing such a focus on them in the second year - thats a sign they are doing as well or better than expected. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
Regarding the Funko ponies....meh....

I have a muffin pony, I will look for a Pinkie Pie for my army (hopefully clear and solid color).  I am very tempted by Trixie, Lyra and Sweetie Drops.  They will be solid color too. I am not fussed on the clear chase variants.  The clear Dr Whooves looks like he's made from frozen cola!! And the clear Trixie, no tail? Ick, no thank you.  The only reason I'll have a clear Pinkie is because she is a variant and the whole point of my army is to have one of EVERY PINKIE!!

As for the topic subject, I love the EQG's. I would have thought that the way the brony fan-fics were themed, the whole concept of humans/Equestria/alternate dimensions would have appealed to the older members of the fandom... :huh: I just don't understand why all the hate.  If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple really.

Emerald Treasure

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »
As a pegasister, I kind of know what some bronies don't like about them. The skin color was kind of a turn off for some, although that's pretty minor. I think the big problems were the high school setting/plot, and the fact that EQG was made instead of a pony movie.

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
As a pegasister, I kind of know what some bronies don't like about them. The skin color was kind of a turn off for some, although that's pretty minor. I think the big problems were the high school setting/plot, and the fact that EQG was made instead of a pony movie.

I don't think think it was made 'instead' of a pony movie hun. I honestly don't think there were ever real plans for a pony movie that EqG replaced.

Unless you mean that you got EqG instead of a movie, then I can see a bit, but I was thrilled to hear mlp was reaching the big screen at all after so long. And it was a movie about the ponies, they just dimension jumped.

Still, if some people are not happy with it, they're not happy with it, and that is their right. I just can't help but feel the people have gotten very fickle over the whole thing. It's still my little pony, it's even still friendship is magic. They did get a pony movie, and it did hit the big screen. But I guess that's like longing for a new star trek movie featuring the original cast and getting next gen, which homaged the original in ways, but is just not the same.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner big reason for many is it was made instead of a full length pony movie, which even taking a poll on here awhile back, over 90% said they want a particular pony movie plot that I just made up. Besides that reason I just don't like the whole concept of it, not a big fan of alternate universe type of things, and taking rulers of Equestria and turning them into high school Principals could not be more disappointing. I just wish they would take the MLP name off of the whole thing, and would have just come up with new characters rather than recycling our MLP characters.

For Sale Wants

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner big reason for many is it was made instead of a full length pony movie, which even taking a poll on here awhile back, over 90% said they want a particular pony movie plot that I just made up. Besides that reason I just don't like the whole concept of it, not a big fan of alternate universe type of things, and taking rulers of Equestria and turning them into high school Principals could not be more disappointing. I just wish they would take the MLP name off of the whole thing, and would have just come up with new characters rather than recycling our MLP characters.

The mlp name is what sells it though, and for many it was fun to see favorite characters anthromorphed and how they work in an entirely different setting. My best friend is a huge brony and fim fan, and he adored the movie too and geeked out over references and appearances through the entire movie. Then again, he went into it to enjoy it for what it was, not what it might have been if things were different. A regular pony movie wasn't in the works. Who knows, you still might get one, so I personally don't understand the mentality that they got EqG 'instead' of a movie. I think EqG was simply an idea made by hasbro to compete with the fashion doll market, and it was successful. A movie has little to do with it as much as it was advertising and hyping a new toy line

I want to state that I'm just bringing thoughts to the table, and I believe everyones opinions are valid in this matter. I don't want to devalidate how anyone feels, but offer up thoughts and speculation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal