collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls 3..  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My biggest fears about EQG is coming true..
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
The kids who come into my work to make ponies like EqG too! You don't even have to mention to to them. They'll tell you that they watched "the My Little Pony movie" or have the DVD at home. No idea if they collect the dolls as well, but they like the movie at the very least.

I don't think FiM needs a movie. FiM does what it's supposed to do well enough on its own -- it sells the toys. Which is precisely what EqG does. Which is what all MLP visual media has done since the 80s. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to make about Equestria Girls, particularly about the quality of the dolls, but "it has a movie and FiM just has a celebrated TV show that is on its fourth season and confirmed for a fifth" doesn't seem like it should be one of them.

And as I've said before, MLP/Hasbro has never catered more towards adult fans, or at least a particular segment of them, than G4 has so the fact that people who don't even seem to enjoy the main line of pony toys complain about Equestria Girls' existence confuses me (this isn't a swipe at anyone on the Arena, just something I've noticed in general). Funko vinyl, every bit of merchandise in Hot Topic, trading cards which now has its own TCG attached all have adults in mind with kids as an afterthought ("Well, kids will buy them too so who cares?"). And yeah, Hasbro does not directly produce those things but they had to give the okay for their franchise to be used. They know what they're doing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:53:18 AM by Ice Crystal »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
The kids who come into my work to make ponies like EqG too! You don't even have to mention to to them. They'll tell you that they watched "the My Little Pony movie" or have the DVD at home. No idea if they collect the dolls as well, but they like the movie at the very least.

I don't think FiM needs a movie. FiM does what it's supposed to do well enough on its own -- it sells the toys. Which is precisely what EqG does. Which is what all MLP visual media has done since the 80s. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to make about Equestria Girls, particularly about the quality of the dolls, but "it has a movie and FiM just has a celebrated TV show that is on its fourth season and confirmed for a fifth" doesn't seem like it should be one of them.

And as I've said before, MLP/Hasbro has never catered more towards adult fans, or at least a particular segment of them, than G4 has so the fact that people who don't even seem to enjoy the main line of pony toys complain about Equestria Girls' existence confuses me (this isn't a swipe at anyone on the Arena, just something I've noticed in general). Funko vinyl, every bit of merchandise in Hot Topic, trading cards which now has its own TCG attached all have adults in mind with kids as an afterthought ("Well, kids will buy them too so who cares?"). And yeah, Hasbro does not directly produce those things but they had to give the okay for their franchise to be used. They know what they're doing.
*hugs* thank you! this is so eloquently put. love it!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
I enjoy all lines of the mlp franchise, and I really love the fim series. Maybe I'm just the rare person who liked both the original fim series and EqG. Seeing the toyline way back from the 80's and watching it change so much over the years  made me appreciate each new installment as it came.

I missed G2's, mostly because I was going through the teenage 'mlp is for kids' phase. I like them and think they're pretty, but because I have to prioritize and chose not to collect them.

I adored G3 and dove into head first and have a substantial collection numbered in the hundreds.

I have a handful of G3.5's but do not actively collect them, but find them cute.

Love Fim, and the spin off EqG.

I wonder if I'm alone in this though, but the comment KarentheUnicorn said made me sit back and think a bit. I guess I'm sitting in on a discussion about the 'hate' of a particular end of the franchise because it really is something I do not understand myself. G1 being my favorite but not the exclusive end of my interests, I assume everyone can look at the rest of the mlp world objectively and realistically. Simply, this is just not the case and not everyone is me, and thier thoughts and feelings are wired differently.

The fact remains to me, is one day FiM and EqG will run its course, and hasbro will once more reboot the entire thing. What will happen then? All this si going to happen all over again. Some collectors will stay and roll with the new. Others will taper off and move on. I'm in it for the long run so I try and appreciate the uniqueness of each aspect. EqG deff was new and unique, and I'm enjoying the ride :)

I wonder if it's realistic to wonder if they'll make an actual movie for the FiM line one day

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Equestria Girls 3..
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »
Thank you, rosierjay. :)

The fact remains to me, is one day FiM and EqG will run its course, and hasbro will once more reboot the entire thing. What will happen then? All this si going to happen all over again. Some collectors will stay and roll with the new. Others will taper off and move on. I'm in it for the long run so I try and appreciate the uniqueness of each aspect. EqG deff was new and unique, and I'm enjoying the ride :)

I wonder if it's realistic to wonder if they'll make an actual movie for the FiM line one day

Maybe, when G4 loses traction, Hasbro will want a FiM movie as a last hoorah of sorts. I think it was a lot more successful than they ever hoped it would be.

All I hope is that if there is a G5, the toys don't wind up even smaller than G4!

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
Thank you, rosierjay. :)

Maybe, when G4 loses traction, Hasbro will want a FiM movie as a last hoorah of sorts. I think it was a lot more successful than they ever hoped it would be.

All I hope is that if there is a G5, the toys don't wind up even smaller than G4!

UGH, yeah, that just gave me a cold shiver. The ponies really can't get reasonably smaller...

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »
I would have thought that the way the brony fan-fics were themed, the whole concept of humans/Equestria/alternate dimensions would have appealed to the older members of the fandom... :huh: I just don't understand why all the hate.  If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple really.

Actually this is exactly what my friends who are bronies feel. I have been told repeatedly by them that EG was obviously made for bronies because of all the in-jokes specifically aimed at bronies, and the 'going to an alternate dimension and becoming human' was directly inspired by the human art that bronies post online. *shrug* I'm not a huge fan so I just smile and nod and let them go on about it haha.

Funny how it doesn't matter if pro or contra EQG - a certain group of adult fans still can't like or dislike it without making it a discussion about how it does or doesn't cater directly to them. Either they like it because they think it was especially made just for for them or they dislike it because they think it was not specifically for them.
I wish they would just stop pretending Hasbro execs lie awake at night thinking about how to please their new overlords.

Maybe it's because I'm an all-gen fan that I can dislike and understand EQG at the same time. It's not the first time I sat out a gen I hated (G3.5) - and even this doesn't seem to be true anymore because recently I added a Ponyville Chritmas Minty to my wishlist. Maybe once EQG is done I will want one of the dolls :lol:
Slightly related, isn't it interesting how G2 sems to get ignore a lot in debates about hating gens? Is it because it was so European at one point? Maybe I'll start another thread for this sooner or later. I'm interested in why virtually nobody is passionate about hating G2s ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »
I would have thought that the way the brony fan-fics were themed, the whole concept of humans/Equestria/alternate dimensions would have appealed to the older members of the fandom... :huh: I just don't understand why all the hate.  If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple really.

Actually this is exactly what my friends who are bronies feel. I have been told repeatedly by them that EG was obviously made for bronies because of all the in-jokes specifically aimed at bronies, and the 'going to an alternate dimension and becoming human' was directly inspired by the human art that bronies post online. *shrug* I'm not a huge fan so I just smile and nod and let them go on about it haha.

Funny how it doesn't matter if pro or contra EQG - a certain group of adult fans still can't like or dislike it without making it a discussion about how it does or doesn't cater directly to them. Either they like it because they think it was especially made just for for them or they dislike it because they think it was not specifically for them.
I wish they would just stop pretending Hasbro execs lie awake at night thinking about how to please their new overlords.

Maybe it's because I'm an all-gen fan that I can dislike and understand EQG at the same time. It's not the first time I sat out a gen I hated (G3.5) - and even this doesn't seem to be true anymore because recently I added a Ponyville Chritmas Minty to my wishlist. Maybe once EQG is done I will want one of the dolls :lol:
Slightly related, isn't it interesting how G2 sems to get ignore a lot in debates about hating gens? Is it because it was so European at one point? Maybe I'll start another thread for this sooner or later. I'm interested in why virtually nobody is passionate about hating G2s ;)

You may have missed the G2 wars - you think EQG hate is bad - you should have been on or read pony boards/groups back when G2 hit shelves. There were not anywhere near as many fans and I was only on a couple of yahoo groups but the hate was very serious.

Hating something to do with the MLP line is not something new to collectors. Its why I said at the start - EQG is a fad and a fad which will come, peak and then go like everything else in a fast moving product line. I personally dont like EQG but I also understand why its been done and the commercial aspect of it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2014, 01:57:58 AM »

You may have missed the G2 wars - you think EQG hate is bad - you should have been on or read pony boards/groups back when G2 hit shelves. There were not anywhere near as many fans and I was only on a couple of yahoo groups but the hate was very serious.

Hating something to do with the MLP line is not something new to collectors. Its why I said at the start - EQG is a fad and a fad which will come, peak and then go like everything else in a fast moving product line. I personally dont like EQG but I also understand why its been done and the commercial aspect of it.

Oh, maybe I should have specified. I'm interested in why new fans don't seem to be very passionate about hating G2. I have seen some G1 hate by G4-only fans but it is mostly about how G1 was "boring" and "not as good". G4 gets compared to it a lot as the "generation that took everything wrong with G1 and made it good". G3 seems to get a lot of hatred for being "girly" and G3.5 for being "dumb and girly and aaaagh, kill them before they lay eggs!". But so far I noticed that G2 gets ignored in those debates.

I would like to read those old G2 hate threads, though. If only because I was so late to become active on the internet and retro-discussions when past gens where brand new tickle me in that time machine kind of way  :lol:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
No tv shows. I would bet thats why G2 misses out on the hate spectrum. Most [and some people may object to me saying "most" but it is true] of the newer fans, bronies only care or focus mainly on the tv show aspect of MLP. The toys often and completely pass them buy, or at least previous gen toys do. A lot of them call tales G2 or G1.5 after all so I would bet many of them are completely unaware of the existence or relevance of a generation between the 80s ponies and the 00 ponies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2014, 02:07:06 AM »
No tv shows. I would bet thats why G2 misses out on the hate spectrum. Most [and some people may object to me saying "most" but it is true] of the newer fans, bronies only care or focus mainly on the tv show aspect of MLP. The toys often and completely pass them buy, or at least previous gen toys do. A lot of them call tales G2 or G1.5 after all so I would bet many of them are completely unaware of the existence or relevance of a generation between the 80s ponies and the 00 ponies.

Eh, that could be the reason. They even called Tales "G2" in that Brony Documentary song and Lauren Faust was involved in writing that...

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2014, 02:12:49 AM »
I don't have anything against EqD- makes perfect sense for the target audience. Only reason I don't 'support' it is because I don't like dolls. Just never been a doll person. But it's fine, otherwise.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Emerald Treasure

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2014, 07:55:38 AM »
As a G4 collector, I would LOVE to collect other gens. As mentioned earlier, however, I missed the unique characters. Maybe once I find them all, and get all the new character equestria girls dolls, I will focus more on other gens.

I already buy them when I find one at a yard sale or the like, but I just don't have the money or knowledge to collect them.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »

Eh, that could be the reason. They even called Tales "G2" in that Brony Documentary song and Lauren Faust was involved in writing that...

Yea it's too bad G2 never had a show because it gets confusing, anyways Tales is G1.5 in my head, no way could you say it's G1 they took all the fantasy outta it and made it a slice of life human struggles, art may be similar, but it's G1.5. Much like how G3 is different from G3.5 yet has many similarities in characters.

For Sale Wants

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
Yea it's too bad G2 never had a show because it gets confusing, anyways Tales is G1.5 in my head, no way could you say it's G1 they took all the fantasy outta it and made it a slice of life human struggles, art may be similar, but it's G1.5. Much like how G3 is different from G3.5 yet has many similarities in characters.

Um. No.

G1 Pony

Tales Pony

The same. Not similar. The show is about the toys. The toys aren't about the show. Hasbro just changed its 30 minute commercial that doesn't make it a new generation or a half generation.

Pics from http://www.ponylandpress.com/us/

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »

Um. No.

G1 Pony

Tales Pony

The same. Not similar. The show is about the toys. The toys aren't about the show. Hasbro just changed its 30 minute commercial that doesn't make it a new generation or a half generation.

Pics from http://www.ponylandpress.com/us/

No no no not the toys the toys are all G1 I know, but only talking about tv shows!!! What I meant by similar is the art style of G1 vers G1.5 it's different.

For Sale Wants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal