collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls 3..  (Read 8254 times)

Emerald Treasure

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My biggest fears about EQG is coming true..
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
I personally loved Equestria Girls. I'm even buying the dolls.

I just know what the brony community thought because it was inescapable.

AJLareneg

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
As a pegasister, I kind of know what some bronies don't like about them. The skin color was kind of a turn off for some, although that's pretty minor. I think the big problems were the high school setting/plot, and the fact that EQG was made instead of a pony movie.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner big reason for many is it was made instead of a full length pony movie, which even taking a poll on here awhile back, over 90% said they want a particular pony movie plot that I just made up. Besides that reason I just don't like the whole concept of it, not a big fan of alternate universe type of things, and taking rulers of Equestria and turning them into high school Principals could not be more disappointing. I just wish they would take the MLP name off of the whole thing, and would have just come up with new characters rather than recycling our MLP characters.
But the movie isn't replacing MLP entirely. There is still no signs of the show coming to an end, which is better than nothing. And the channel the show airs on acts like it only plays pony, and caters heavily to pony fans. Honestly I don't see why a few eqg movies ruins anything or detracts from the show. Just don't watch it. You'll still have endless episodes of the TV show.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »
As a pegasister, I kind of know what some bronies don't like about them. The skin color was kind of a turn off for some, although that's pretty minor. I think the big problems were the high school setting/plot, and the fact that EQG was made instead of a pony movie.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner big reason for many is it was made instead of a full length pony movie, which even taking a poll on here awhile back, over 90% said they want a particular pony movie plot that I just made up. Besides that reason I just don't like the whole concept of it, not a big fan of alternate universe type of things, and taking rulers of Equestria and turning them into high school Principals could not be more disappointing. I just wish they would take the MLP name off of the whole thing, and would have just come up with new characters rather than recycling our MLP characters.
But the movie isn't replacing MLP entirely. There is still no signs of the show coming to an end, which is better than nothing. And the channel the show airs on acts like it only plays pony, and caters heavily to pony fans. Honestly I don't see why a few eqg movies ruins anything or detracts from the show. Just don't watch it. You'll still have endless episodes of the TV show.

A MLP movie in the theater would be very special, and they could finally let the plot flow differently rather than rushing it into a 20 some minute episode, huge potential. They could make a 2 hour MLP movie with ponies can you imagine!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »
I would have thought that the way the brony fan-fics were themed, the whole concept of humans/Equestria/alternate dimensions would have appealed to the older members of the fandom... :huh: I just don't understand why all the hate.  If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple really.

Actually this is exactly what my friends who are bronies feel. I have been told repeatedly by them that EG was obviously made for bronies because of all the in-jokes specifically aimed at bronies, and the 'going to an alternate dimension and becoming human' was directly inspired by the human art that bronies post online. *shrug* I'm not a huge fan so I just smile and nod and let them go on about it haha.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 10:36:53 AM »
[/quote]

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. 4 seasons of a great series versus two EqG movies...seems kinda weird to me to get too upset over.

And I agree about all the little brony easter eggs in EqG. Seems to me that they were trying to make everyone happy, a pipe dream at best but they tried.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2014, 10:47:05 AM »
I must say, I don't know if it's been said yet.  But my 10yo daughter loves EQG. I almost think maybe even more than her regular ponies!

So whatever Hasbro is doing; it's working.  Target Demo Love: Check. 

EDIT:  So if she gets tired of "real" ponies... Guess who gets em all!?? ! MWAHAHAH!    *wait did I say that out loud!?*

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »

A MLP movie in the theater would be very special, and they could finally let the plot flow differently rather than rushing it into a 20 some minute episode, huge potential. They could make a 2 hour MLP movie with ponies can you imagine!

Now you assume there would be an MLP movie if EQG wasn't there. But there is nothing that suggests that.
There could just as well not have been any kind of MLP movie. The show is doing a great job selling toys and the EQG movies are only made to sell the dolls. Making a few movies is a far cheaper alternative than setting up a new show.
Most countries didn't show EQG in the theater. Over here it aired on TV and hasn't even gotten a DVD release.
Honestly this "movie" isn't such a big deal. Over here it is no different than those straight to DVD G3 movies.

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »
I must say, I don't know if it's been said yet.  But my 10yo daughter loves EQG. I almost think maybe even more than her regular ponies!

So whatever Hasbro is doing; it's working.  Target Demo Love: Check. 

EDIT:  So if she gets tired of "real" ponies... Guess who gets em all!?? ! MWAHAHAH!    *wait did I say that out loud!?*

My daughter loves them too, and I get the same ideas XD :highfive:

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 11:13:39 AM »

But your logic is breaking down at a few points, the first of which people have already gone over--EQG didn't replace anything, there was no pony movie that we know if in the works at all.

But second, you're polling a forum of adults on what they'd like from a movie, when adults are not the target market. You'd be better off asking members to ask their kids of the target demographic what they think. If you're old enough to post stuff on the internet without parental permission, you're not MLP's target market anymore.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »

But your logic is breaking down at a few points, the first of which people have already gone over--EQG didn't replace anything, there was no pony movie that we know if in the works at all.

But second, you're polling a forum of adults on what they'd like from a movie, when adults are not the target market. You'd be better off asking members to ask their kids of the target demographic what they think. If you're old enough to post stuff on the internet without parental permission, you're not MLP's target market anymore.

Never said I was the target market, but I still bet kids would have preferred a movie with the ponies over the humans, and I know the majority of collectors and bronies would have preferred a pony movie over a human movie.

For Sale Wants

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »

I very much agree with everything you said.

Also it's relevant to state my daughter who is five has memorized the EqG movie and adores it, and calls it the my little pony movie. I don't think small children who are fans are as picky as us adults are, and they're happy to have a my little pony movie length film of any sort featuring their favorite characters in fun ways

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »
Honestly, sometimes I feel like a bad person because I like EQG. While I'm not sure I like the focus on EQG over the toy line, the toy line was kind of starting to sink regardless. :huh:

I like it, I like the way they look (... mostly, the faces of the dolls are a bit "eh" at times), and if it's selling, then more power to them. They've certainly been getting my money. I bought the DVD of the first movie and I'll probably be buying the second too if it gets a DVD (which I'm guessing it will) unless I really don't like the movie.

We might all be a bit upset about it, but if it's selling to the target audience, it's not really something I'm worried about any more, y'know? The target audience matters a lot more than I do. ^_^; if G4 dips to a point where I'm not interested any more, I'll be off buying G1s again. It's toys, after all! Toys aren't something I'm gonna get my panties in a wad over. I'm just gonna roll with whatever happens :)
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »

I feel a tina turner parody song coming on: What's the show got to do...got to do with it?

I'd like to point out for some people the show doesn't qualify as 100% of why they are into MLP. For some people the show isn't even reaching 25% of the reason for MLP.

I have noticed that the FIM centered fandom focuses mainly on the 'show' and all the discussions stem from that - but that is not the case with everyone, especially not the long time collector of the toy.

So that should be considered in any discussion, especially when saying it's better than nothing...maybe it's not better than nothing for some people who are not invested in the program and are more invested in the toy. And who want ponies not human dolls.

And I've noticed a lot of posts that say something like, If you don't like it don't watch, or if you don't like the dolls don't buy it.

Well that's all well and good for people to say, I guess it's easy for some people to come in and blits theats with that same opinion over and over, but in a way people could take they're own advice and: if you like Equestria Girls then just ignore the threads where people are discussing why they dislike it. That argument works both ways.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
...I [k]now the majority of collectors and bronies would have preferred a pony movie over a human movie.

That's exactly the point Shiromisa was trying to make to you - Hasbro did not make the movie for bronies or collectors.  They didn't take either group into consideration when they decided to make this movie.  It doesn't matter what we would have preferred, because the movie was not being made for us.  It just looks like the animators threw in some brony shoutouts to make the whole thing more palatable, not because the movie was ever intended to be directed toward bronies. 

This is my only experience with kids and EQG:  My niece is 3.  When I see her she always asks me to draw her a pony, usually Celestia.  Last time she asked I drew a pony like I always do, and she said, "NO, I want the OTHER Celestia.  With PANTS."  At first I was concerned that she'd somehow managed figure out the internet and see some sort of fanart, but she just meant she wanted me to draw human Celestia.  So, there you go.  The only kid in the demographic that I know liked EQG better than FIM. 

Emerald Treasure

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
Any pony is good pony to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal