collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cranky about WeLoveFine  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
Cranky about WeLoveFine
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
WeLoveFine makes it really hard to be a Muffin Pony collector... Especially since they keep releasing the same "limited edition" figure of her with different finishes! Here's the latest variant:

http://www.welovefine.com/featured/82-Artist-Series-MLP-Vinyl-Figures#.UvVuf0JdWgQ

These new "Chrome" figures are apparently the last run that they will do of these, thank goodness! At $20 or more a pop, these things are pricey.

The most frustrating thing, however, is that the previous figurines in the series have been made available to buy without an additional purchase. For the flocked and standard versions, you originally had to buy another MLP item in order to have the privilege of buying the figurine. The fact that they can now be straight-up bought without anything else makes me almost feel punished for being an "early adopter."

The original Muffin Pony figurine was apparently limited to 600 units. First, it was a convention exclusive, then they offered the chance to buy it with another purchase, and today, it was put out for general sale. I wonder if that 600 number still holds.

I wish their limited editions were actually... limited!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cranky about WeLoveFine
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
I do feel for you , action figure collecting is getting the same way through some places.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
G4 in general just seems to be a, if we keep making the same thing, they will buy it. Welovefine just seems to be milking it for all it's worth with those statue thingies.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
I agree - I remember when the muffin figures came out and they were going for crazy amounts on ebay! I'd be pretty mad if I bought a pricy one off ebay, and less than a year later, they're $20 online. It's a little weird that they can make it sound like it's really a limited edition figure, then just keep making them. :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. Perhaps in the beginning it really was a limited run of 600, but for a company, money speaks louder than anything else... :muffin: was always going to be super popular so it makes sense for them to simplify the ordering process to get as many buyers as possible. But it's still irritating. Releasing the new chrome to the general public is alright, but making the original and flocked versions easier to get and more numerous is like a slap in the face to the early collectors who thought they truly had a special, limited edition item. :huh:

I'm also really not fond of the variant-push leaking out of Hasbro and into all the third party merchandise. Funko is doing it with their clear/glitter/metallic variants across the Vinyl and POP lines, and now WLF is amping it up to three variants of the same two ponies. They could certainly afford to make new, interesting characters for the line, but they keep pushing the same thing with a slightly different sparkle on it. Come on guys, move on and use your imagination! >_<

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »
WHAAAAAT?  Yet ANOTHER "limited edition" muffin and dj pony?  The Chrome is a little different than the flocking- but seriously, how lazy and cheap can they get?  They must be making money hand over fist with these... there is no way that production costs for a single piece, unarticulated and not hand painted- justifies a $20something price-  and think how many people bought a bunch of t-shirts when these first came out- just to get one? (looks down in shame)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
I bought one of the original limited edition Bubbles for a price on ebay I don't want to remember, thinking it was worth it at the time. I've kept mine MIP with the card, granted the only thing limited about that is the card! I also bought a flocked Bubbles because she was cute and it gave me the excuse to buy a t-shirt.

These chrome ones in my opinions are ugly and I will definitely not be buying one, I've never even liked the DJ Pon3 figure either. In fact, WeLoveFine's actions have put me off ever buying any of their products again. Producing extra limited edition items is dishonest and despicable.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
I bought one of the original limited edition Bubbles for a price on ebay I don't want to remember, thinking it was worth it at the time. I've kept mine MIP with the card, granted the only thing limited about that is the card! I also bought a flocked Bubbles because she was cute and it gave me the excuse to buy a t-shirt.

These chrome ones in my opinions are ugly and I will definitely not be buying one, I've never even liked the DJ Pon3 figure either. In fact, WeLoveFine's actions have put me off ever buying any of their products again. Producing extra limited edition items is dishonest and despicable.

This.  Truly despicable.  I have never heard of such a shocking thing happening.  I can only imagine the uproar in the fashion doll collecting community.  Seriously- very very very dishonest of them.  It makes me what to never buy from them again.

Offline Bergamot

• View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
I bought one of the original limited edition Bubbles for a price on ebay I don't want to remember, thinking it was worth it at the time.

It still might be-- I guess the original Muffin figures are now out of stock. There may actually only be 600 of them, still? I'm not sure!

Now I have a dilemma. I have the original Muffin WLF figure as well as the flocked one. I'm debating whether or not to buy the chrome one.

It's a TRAP!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
I seem to remember that there was a "limited edition" of 600 of the original figures - available only through conventions.   They sold so well that Welovefine added another edition of the same pony- to their website- you could buy them if you bought a couple of t-shirts or something. 

THEN they came out with the same ponies-  flocked.

Now it appears they have chrome versions.   Pretty greedy welovefine, pretty greedy.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
I seem to remember that there was a "limited edition" of 600 of the original figures - available only through conventions.   They sold so well that Welovefine added another edition of the same pony- to their website- you could buy them if you bought a couple of t-shirts or something. 

THEN they came out with the same ponies-  flocked.

Now it appears they have chrome versions.   Pretty greedy welovefine, pretty greedy.

Not only that but now you don't even have to buy any other product to unlock them, you can just buy the figures outright! To be fair, I do like the t-shirt I bought to get my flocked version. But I decided to leave a note of my displeasure on their Facebook page seeing as my '1 of 600' is now '1 of 1200' or '1 of 3600' because of how many different versions there are. They say this is their last wave but they have shown they obviously have no problems lying about that! What are they going to do next, a clear glittery version? Or how about a golden one to follow the chrome?

Seriously, the only difference between mine, which I paid $170 AUD for months before the new ones were released (which are called My Little Pony 1st Edition Vinyl Figures (limited edition on green card) - $20 each: on their website) is that mine has a blue card with 'Edition of 600' written on it and the next wave have a green card with '2nd Edition of 600' on it!

WeDon'tLoveFine  :mad:

Edit: Whilst ranting I got told to 'use a little more discretion with how much I spend on limited edition items when the company is making so many versions'... to which I zipped them and told them that at the time that I bought mine there were only 600 in the world, how was I to know that a reputable company was going to pull such a D-move?! lol, rant over, I need to go brush some pony hair to calm down :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:04:49 PM by Tulips »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Bergamot

• View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
Wow, Tulips, you're right! The cards that came with the "original" Muffin Ponies that were purchased from the website do read "2nd Edition of 600." Mine says this.

That's pretty crooked of them. Chances are that the ones that were on sale today were a 3rd edition, then. I mean, I guess I'm happy that I got a chance to buy the original one, but why don't they just give it to us straight and let us know that it's not so "limited" after all!?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Super obnoxious.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:18:04 PM by Bergamot »

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
Producing extra limited edition items is dishonest and despicable.

THIS. I am glad I haven't given them any of my business and I will continue. I'm glad I'm not a big T-shirt fan heh. Their practices are disgraceful.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline kakenterprise

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »
I was wondering the same thing today when these came out.  There was no way the first batch had a run of 600.  I have a blue one that I picked up at a convention but at the time it was 600 only.  I'm not happy with the well blue card 600 but we'll release the same figure with a different colored card...  Really I still would have bought one but I don't like the farce. 

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
The fact that it only says "Edition of 600" and is not marked with an actual number (like #127 out of 600) speaks volumes to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal