collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cranky about WeLoveFine  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Cranky about WeLoveFine
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
All I have to say on the subject: I'm still very cranky at them for marketing MLP perfumes that were obviously intended for women (one of the two was carnations, spun sugar, and vanilla bean, for crying out loud) as men's cologne. Obviously there's nothing wrong with men wearing pretty scents, but one more thing being changed from marketing to women, to marketing to men, was enough to really tick me off.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »
Oh and the correct numbers are:

Regular versions 1200 each
Flocked versions 1200 each
Chrome versions 1200 each

So a total of 3600 ponies. 

I think the new chrome ones are cringeworthy ugly.  Especially Bubbles.  They look cheap and chincy.   

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
Do you think they used the word "cologne" because it has the ability to appeal to both males and females?

I think that men would turn their nose (HA!) at "perfume," for the most part. But a girl just might buy herself (or ask for) some "cologne" if it smells pretty enough.

(Old Spice "Wolfthorn" deodorant smells just like gummy bears. It's supposed to be SUPER MANLY STUFF, but it definitely has a place among my grooming things, as well as my husband's.)

This might be one of those situations where using the name of the "FOR MANLY MANS" name for something makes it easier for the product to appeal to both genders.

Marigold, thanks for the final numbers! I agree that the chrome figures are definitely a bit spooky!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
WOW! They sure know how to make some money off ponies.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
All I have to say on the subject: I'm still very cranky at them for marketing MLP perfumes that were obviously intended for women (one of the two was carnations, spun sugar, and vanilla bean, for crying out loud) as men's cologne. Obviously there's nothing wrong with men wearing pretty scents, but one more thing being changed from marketing to women, to marketing to men, was enough to really tick me off.
I didn't like that, either. And IIRC, you had to buy/spend a certain amount to even be able to purchase the perfumes (which is the kind of thing I really dislike). I am just waiting for WeLoveFine to bring the perfumes back again, with different characters even, and pull that same ol' thing again.

I really do feel bad for the people who bought the Muffin/Vinyl pony figure when they were "convention exclusive"/ had to buy them on eBay for a crazy amount of money/ spent ___ amount of money to even be able to purchase, on the belief they would really be limited edition. I just feel it's a real jerk move for WeLoveFine to keep re-releasing them like this. Especially since now you can just buy them straight up without have to get something else. I refuse to believe they won't release any more of them - I expect a glitter/clear variant of the two in the future.

I love the Princess Twilight LED shirt I got from them, but this whole Muffin/Vinyl situation leaves a really bad taste in my mouth when it comes to WeLoveFine. :(
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
I emailed asking about the numbers of the first run and they sent something back about "yes we sold out of our first run of 600 which were limited to convention sales, but we were able to make a second run of 600 because our agreement was over when the convention season ended so we made more to offer on our webpage".

I don't know what agreement they meant. 

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
This is awful :huh: I got one of the first ones at a convention but I sold her soon after- because I didn't want to un-package a pony I thought was rare but I have trouble bonding with ponies when still in packages. Now I'm happy I sent her off when I did  >_<

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
I didn't like that, either. And IIRC, you had to buy/spend a certain amount to even be able to purchase the perfumes (which is the kind of thing I really dislike). I am just waiting for WeLoveFine to bring the perfumes back again, with different characters even, and pull that same ol' thing again.
Half right! The perfumes were a freebie with a $100 purchase--so it wasn't cheap, but it was free, if that makes sense. They partnered with a perfume company, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, to make the scents, and BPAL is generally good about exclusives, so I hope they won't go "lol j/k here's ten thousand more." Still, hopefully they will do other characters! I'd love a Pinkie or Celestia perfume.

That said, I really would've preferred to buy one separately. BPAL sells their imps (small vials) for $4 each, I think.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
Wow... hearing that they keep re-issuing a limited edition product is UNCOOL.  I'm not even sure if I have that category in the Bad Trader List... guess I'll have to figure out one now...  :(

How about "Shady" haha

Do you think they used the word "cologne" because it has the ability to appeal to both males and females?

I think that men would turn their nose (HA!) at "perfume," for the most part. But a girl just might buy herself (or ask for) some "cologne" if it smells pretty enough.

(Old Spice "Wolfthorn" deodorant smells just like gummy bears. It's supposed to be SUPER MANLY STUFF, but it definitely has a place among my grooming things, as well as my husband's.)

This might be one of those situations where using the name of the "FOR MANLY MANS" name for something makes it easier for the product to appeal to both genders.

Marigold, thanks for the final numbers! I agree that the chrome figures are definitely a bit spooky!

First of all, I LOVE Wolfthorn!!!! Gummy bears 100%

Secondly, cologne is not exclusive to men's fragrance. Cologne and perfume are the types of fragrance formulation. Perfumes (Parfumes) have a higher concentration of scent and higher quality ingredients such as essential oils, and compressed fragrance crystals. While Colognes or Toilettes, are comprised mainly of extracts of essential oils and water and usually have a high alcohol content.

Perfumes are to be used sparingly as they tend to be way more fragrant and last longer. Colognes are meant to be used liberally. Because of this and the quality of ingrident's perfumes are more expensive than colognes. A lot of companies make their signature scent in both formulations, like Miss Dior Cherie or Coco Mademoiselle. And there's usually a $20+ price difference.

So they were correct in marketing them that way! :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:14:02 PM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
Oh and the correct numbers are:

Regular versions 1200 each
Flocked versions 1200 each
Chrome versions 1200 each

I have never bought anything from WLF and I don't really know the whole background story of these products, but... Let me see if I get the jist of it....

So...WLF said they were going to release 600 of the regular version, but they ended up releasing 1200 instead?  The only difference is in the card that came with the figure and not the figure itself?

Does anyone have a link (or can anyone point me in the direction) of where I can find the initial news of them coming out with a limited edition (of 600) originally?  I'd like to look over the wording and see if maybe I can be of some assistance.  I don't like crooked or shady companies taking advantage of consumers.  Dishonest business practices are a huge thumbs down...

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
First of all, I LOVE Wolfthorn!!!! Gummy bears 100%

Secondly, cologne is not exclusive to men's fragrance. Cologne and perfume are the types of fragrance formulation. Perfumes (Parfumes) have a higher concentration of scent and higher quality ingredients such as essential oils, and compressed fragrance crystals. While Colognes or Toilettes, are comprised mainly of extracts of essential oils and water and usually have a high alcohol content.

Perfumes are to be used sparingly as they tend to be way more fragrant and last longer. Colognes are meant to be used liberally. Because of this and the quality of ingrident's perfumes are more expensive than colognes. A lot of companies make their signature scent in both formulations, like Miss Dior Cherie or Coco Mademoiselle. And there's usually a $20+ price difference.

So they were correct in marketing them that way! :)
That's good to know, I had no idea! However, it looks like they're doing wrong on that front--the perfume in question is an essential oil blend like all of BPAL's, so a little dab will do ya. The two scents are sold in 5 ml bottles, so I'm not even sure it's possible to splash it on without breaking the bank. ^^;

Edit: The product seems to be gone so I can't link, but when I googled, the old page did say it was a "Homme Cologne" in the title.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:43:03 PM by Shiromisa »

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »
I did a quick google but found it hard to find any official release from WLF... here is what I did find from other sources... Looks like there was a deliberate amount of confusion over the wording.

http://www.hasbro.com/mylittlepony/en_US/2013/07/comic-con-muffins-vinyl-figure-we-love.html
"It looks like We Love Fine is celebrating the :muffin: Pony with a new Comic Con deal... There are only 300 available right now." (July 18, 2013)

http://www.mlpnation.com/apps/blog/show/30622031-limited-edition-:muffin: Pony-at-comicon-we-love-fine-booth-
"According to  Equestria Daily this Limited edition :muffin: Pony  is available with the purchase of $100 dollars in merchandise plus $20 more for the :muffin: Pony,  There are only 600 available." (July 19, 2013)

http://mlp.derpynews.com/vinyl-figure-added-to-we-love-fine/
"The :muffin: Pony figure will remain a con-exclusive, where she’s available for purchase when you buy other WLF items, just like at SDCC" (July 30, 2013)

http://news.everfree.net/2013/10/welovefine-:muffin: Pony-hooves-figure-available-at-new-york-comic-con/
":muffin: Pony Hooves is now available at New York Comic Con with a limited supply." (October 12, 2013)

I'll keep looking for an official WLF article about it.

Edit: This is all I could find on their Facebook page as well.
I find the wording very suspicious, "get your hands on this edition", "LIMITED numbers" but no specifics so "while supplies last" is completely arbitrary!
The more I explore this the more I feel like they were planning to do this from the very start.  :mad:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:54:45 PM by Tulips »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
The first sale of :muffin: was during SDCC 2013. This is from their tumblr: http://welovefineshirts.tumblr.com/post/55790827695/heads-up-my-little-pony-fans-sdcc-special
They only brought 300 to SDCC and took the remaining 300 to Bronycon? I think. Some brony convention. But I remember they managed to sell out at the second con they took her to. I believe the plan was to keep taking her to certain cons until she sold out.

The tumblr post doesn't mention anything about it being exclusive to cons, just says that the figure is brand new and they only have 300 available at that particular event. After they released DJ, they put up a product page for :muffin: with details on the figure and it was there they said she was a con exclusive. It used to be here: http://www.welovefine.com/6212-snuggle-bubble-muffin-vinyl-figure.html but they have changed the wording and are advertising the second edition.

That's the only info I have on it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:16:58 PM by Ice Crystal »

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
I got the crome ones!!! I still need the flocked ones to complete the set, but im hesitant about them since I can flock my original figures T-T the price isnt to bad in my opinion as these are great quality figures! Maybe buy one a paycheck? I always limit myself to $50max a paycheck worth of toys/figures. Theres so much muffin merch out there, I do wish I could get it all so I feel your pain! xD

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 12:38:51 AM »
I wouldn't flock one of the originals, just in case they do finally run out of ways to release her and she becomes limited. If you want, I've got a double of the flocked ones, I could trade you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal