collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NY Toy Fair 2014  (Read 31528 times)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: NY Toy Fair 2014
« Reply #360 on: February 16, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
I'm really confused by the dates with the toy fair? I thought it was officially starting today? Then how come so many people were there yesterday? Can someone explain thanks! Also does anyone know if we will see any new stuff today?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »

i agreee! you people in the   uk got the awesome brushables   

ploomette, skywisehs ,   sweetie swirl.  and the bblue  pony   

take this crap.. ><

Erm...The UK didn't get any of those either, as far as I know. Despite being "European" exclusives, they only appeared in a few countries and even then they seem to have had very small releases. I've asked friends in several European countries and they have been unable to find them anywhere. If it were possible, I'd gladly trade the US getting the EU exclusives and their poor distribution so we could have all the US exclusives :lol: (seriously, the only new characters we got last year were Sunset Shimmer and Wysteria (the latter whom was twice the price of regular playful ponies). Oh and the Mrs. Cake set but that's impossible to find anywhere as no shops seem to want to carry those two-pony playsets...)

Speaking of Mrs. Cake's set being difficult to find...I hope the Breezie sets won't be in the same price bracket. No stores aside from the larger John Lewises seem to carry the £13 two-pony sets so I'm reeeeally worried the Breezie sets will go the same as I really want that Fluttershy :cry:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
I'm really confused by the dates with the toy fair? I thought it was officially starting today? Then how come so many people were there yesterday? Can someone explain thanks! Also does anyone know if we will see any new stuff today?

It has been explained earlier in the thread when you asked before. It was a preview day - a day for journalists/bloggers/press to get in and get the pitch from brands. No public allowed.

The remaining actual Fair days will be when buyers and the public are in and looking around.

As mentioned, there will be nothing extra added now - everything which is going to be shown is available on preview day - thats the whole point in it.

Also...thanks guys but I [or my fellow Corral Mods] will do the modding...lets just keep on topic take arguments elsewhere.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »

It has been explained earlier in the thread when you asked before. It was a preview day - a day for journalists/bloggers/press to get in and get the pitch from brands. No public allowed.

The remaining actual Fair days will be when buyers and the public are in and looking around.

As mentioned, there will be nothing extra added now - everything which is going to be shown is available on preview day - thats the whole point in it.

Also...thanks guys but I [or my fellow Corral Mods] will do the modding...lets just keep on topic take arguments elsewhere.

Oh okay thanks hathorcat! I must have missed the post or something. I thought it was just some speculation on if there would be new stuff or not so that's for sure all then for now?

For Sale Wants

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »
Oh and the Mrs. Cake set but that's impossible to find anywhere as no shops seem to want to carry those two-pony playsets...)

Speaking of Mrs. Cake's set being difficult to find...I hope the Breezie sets won't be in the same price bracket. No stores aside from the larger John Lewises seem to carry the £13 two-pony sets so I'm reeeeally worried the Breezie sets will go the same as I really want that Fluttershy :cry:
I don't live in the UK but I haven't seen a trace of that CMC and friends collector set :/ and I live in the USA...
I don't know what happened to it :/ I swear it may have been a hoax   -_-
Maybe not? Hopefully it'll show up this year  :|

And...

I can't wait for Vocaloid Sparkle  ;) although she may be one of those noise making dolls  >_<
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 16, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »

Oh okay thanks hathorcat! I must have missed the post or something. I thought it was just some speculation on if there would be new stuff or not so that's for sure all then for now?

The only exception is if they have saved some special one off item to perhaps ensure themselves extra press/buyer attention during the show. Such as the SDCC rumour. And they will show that on the last day or unexpectedly launch it on people to create some buzz. But its not something Hasbro have ever done before. 

With more people visiting the show though and more cameras, there is the possibility there will be some things which are on the stand [such as those blind bags/mini figs] which we will see in better detail but everything that is going to be shown will have been on that stand on preview day.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 16, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
I'd like to pose (hahaha) a question to all who are complaining they have to hear about collectors' opinions of "WAHHHHH WE HATE EQUESTRIA GIRLS DOLLS!!!1" 

I can accept that fashion dolls are popular at a certain age demographic, that's fine.  41 dolls is a LOT to release in a spinoff of a toyline that's supposed to be about equines, but whatever.  I can save money I need to spend on other things (like a mortgage!)

BUT...

Why exactly has playing with little make-believe HORSES gone "out to pasture"? It seemed like it was a phase that most children went through, effeminate or not, we all wanted to play with HORSES.   Why do children not want to pretend this scenario anymore?  I mean, it was a legitimate thing for like... decades!  Now all of a sudden, pretend animal-care play is not even "normal" anymore.  Everything is either about FASHION or TECHNOLOGY.  :( 

I've been wondering if dolls are just more profitable for Hasbro at the moment. Brushables have to be kept at a low cost, since most people are going to freak if they get too high (I know I left the Through the Mirror exclusives behind at Walmart since I didn't think a pony and dress was worth $13!!!). Dolls are more expensive, but I think a lot of people would see them as "more bang for your buck". Plus, I don't often see people (other than myself) who go in and buy 5 brushables at a time. But 5 brushables is the price of one doll. Whereas a person might buy one or two ponies and combine them with something else for a kid, they could just buy one doll, and all that money would go to Hasbro for sure. I can definitely see why they might think that EG is just a better business choice if this is how the economics in this area is working.

Even the Lalaloopsy pony line is priced a bit higher than the MLP line (at least in Canada). So Hasbro might be making up their costs with add-ons and multi-packs. Unfortunately, few of us seem to like those :S

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 16, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what we see from the toy fair isn't everything we'll see for the rest of the year, right?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 16, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what we see from the toy fair isn't everything we'll see for the rest of the year, right?

No but it is however the bulk of the line. There are additional items which will crop up; that they may not have ready, that they may not feel the need to push or that may not even have been finalised in thought/packaging.

They tend to focus on "push products" or "key drivers" at events like this. Which are the things they want their line to focus around, new concepts, what they want to sell the most of and basically their best eye candy. Things like lines which have an established presence - i.e. the basic pony wave - will not get as much attention or focus because they are the items which they know retailers will take anyway.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
O man why does America get all the cool exclusive merch AGAIN. I wanted Photo Finish so badly but the US keeps it again for themself. I feel like Europe is being ignored REALLY hard.

You can have all this stuff most of us don't want all of it. Well take new ponies, the EQG can come to netherland or  better yet they can go to neverlands in my opinion. lol

A bit rude, don't you think? I get you're upset but I think every pony fan has a right to ponies, not just Americans.
I have never ever seen talking Nigthmare Moon in German stores. Never ever seen the favorites pack. I had to buy Rainbow Flash, Minty and Wysteria for the same prices (and maybe more because of shipping fees) as you.

I get lots of Americans are upset that there were Euro brushies, but please think how often us non-Americans have to import things. I have lost a lot of money because things got lost in the mail or simply because the shipping fees were so goddamn high.

Pointing at Europeans and going "but you had three exclusives once" won't change the fact all of us will have to pay more for brushies XD

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »

No but it is however the bulk of the line. There are additional items which will crop up; that they may not have ready, that they may not feel the need to push or that may not even have been finalised in thought/packaging.

They tend to focus on "push products" or "key drivers" at events like this. Which are the things they want their line to focus around, new concepts, what they want to sell the most of and basically their best eye candy. Things like lines which have an established presence - i.e. the basic pony wave - will not get as much attention or focus because they are the items which they know retailers will take anyway.
Hmm, I see. Thank you! Would Holly Dash (and other potential new ponies like her) fall under the "basic wave" presence enough that we might see more on store shelves with her?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
I'd like to pose (hahaha) a question to all who are complaining they have to hear about collectors' opinions of "WAHHHHH WE HATE EQUESTRIA GIRLS DOLLS!!!1" 

I can accept that fashion dolls are popular at a certain age demographic, that's fine.  41 dolls is a LOT to release in a spinoff of a toyline that's supposed to be about equines, but whatever.  I can save money I need to spend on other things (like a mortgage!)

BUT...

Why exactly has playing with little make-believe HORSES gone "out to pasture"? It seemed like it was a phase that most children went through, effeminate or not, we all wanted to play with HORSES.   Why do children not want to pretend this scenario anymore?  I mean, it was a legitimate thing for like... decades!  Now all of a sudden, pretend animal-care play is not even "normal" anymore.  Everything is either about FASHION or TECHNOLOGY.  :( 

I've been wondering if dolls are just more profitable for Hasbro at the moment. Brushables have to be kept at a low cost, since most people are going to freak if they get too high (I know I left the Through the Mirror exclusives behind at Walmart since I didn't think a pony and dress was worth $13!!!). Dolls are more expensive, but I think a lot of people would see them as "more bang for your buck". Plus, I don't often see people (other than myself) who go in and buy 5 brushables at a time. But 5 brushables is the price of one doll. Whereas a person might buy one or two ponies and combine them with something else for a kid, they could just buy one doll, and all that money would go to Hasbro for sure. I can definitely see why they might think that EG is just a better business choice if this is how the economics in this area is working.

Even the Lalaloopsy pony line is priced a bit higher than the MLP line (at least in Canada). So Hasbro might be making up their costs with add-ons and multi-packs. Unfortunately, few of us seem to like those :S

I seem to remember hearing years ago (when the Lisa Frank line started including big-eyed human girl characters in their designs instead of the classic animal ones- though to be fair they haven't outright abandoned the animal designs) that human figures, in theory, appeal to an older age bracket than animal ones. It also opens up the market for more "grown up" merchandise associated with the characters, especially if fashion is a strong component of the line, as girls grow out of toys entirely (and kids are doing so at earlier ages now.) Now, in practice, I don't think Equestria Girls has successfully captured an "older" demographic than the regular ponies, despite that being their stated purpose, but apparently that's not deterring Hasbro from aggressively pushing it, anyway.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »

Hmm, I see. Thank you! Would Holly Dash (and other potential new ponies like her) fall under the "basic wave" presence enough that we might see more on store shelves with her?

Kind of yes, kind of no :P

Clearly Hasbro do not see unique and new characters as key releases in the line. You can tell that by the fact that, excluding the EQG line and other than Holly Dash there is not a single other brand new pony being shown and that even includes this year's TRU exclusives - which was something most were relying on to bring us some new ponies at least. The only new character pitch was on EQG. No pitch means its not important enough to them. And yes, that is really, really worrying for new pony characters. As if its not important to Hasbro to have them in the line, then that means they think [or have been told] retailers dont want them and as a consequence decreases the likely hood of them popping up with any regularity. 
Loa is my love god!

Okiedokieloki

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Oh and the Mrs. Cake set but that's impossible to find anywhere as no shops seem to want to carry those two-pony playsets...)

I don't live in the UK but I haven't seen a trace of that CMC and friends collector set :/ and I live in the USA...
I don't know what happened to it :/ I swear it may have been a hoax   -_-
Maybe not? Hopefully it'll show up this year  :|

It wasn't a hoax, it just never showed up in stores for some reason. It was available on Target.com, Amazon.com, and Meijer.com (maybe more, but those are all I know) for awhile, and it's available on hasbrotoyshop.com right now.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »

I have three nieces and they have all gone through "OMG HORSES" phases.  Heck, the two younger ones are still in it . . . and the oldest one, when it came time to pick colleges, really really wanted to go to this obscure one where everyone got to care for their own horse.

It is absolutely not a change in the appeal of horses, it's that Hasbro no longer knows how to harness (har har) the market.

IMO, they treat MLP like it's a cheap line and so people treat it like it's a cheap line.   Single ponies are still $5 each . . . Well, that is ridiculous IMO.  In 1982 they were that price, but $5 in 1982 was worth $12 in today's money.  They shrank down the ponies and cut every corner to keep the price low, but when push comes to shove, kids DO notice quality, even if they can't articulate what they're seeing.   

It's the whole reason My Little Pony was never challenged by fakies;  My Little Pony had carefully planned sets, My Little Pony had carefully painted symbols, My Little Pony had good quality plastic, My Little Pony had gorgeous backcard art, My Little Pony had a story for each pony.  Those are all part of MARKETING, just as much as "release the same six characters a billion times because they're the focus of the show", only Hasbro doesn't seem to realize it.

This is also the reason Monster High dolls trump EQG dolls.  Monster High has the quality . . . and to top it off, they are nearly the same price as EQG dolls.  I truly think it is foolish of Hasbro to focus so much on this aspect of the line.  They know how to market ponies, if they'd only look at their past 30 years.  They have NEVER been great shakes for fashion dolls.  They had Jem for a couple years . . . What was before that, Maxie, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:35:24 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal