collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NY Toy Fair 2014  (Read 31544 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: NY Toy Fair 2014
« Reply #390 on: February 16, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »
I cant wait to see all of it in person :)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #391 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »
Dunno if it's been posted here before but there's a video that explains what's coming out (in two parts):
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUB2QzzuJDlZ3o-iJT8tz9IQ&v=47OnDeVdKR8#t=196
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUB2QzzuJDlZ3o-iJT8tz9IQ&v=2IedyQJHqA8#t=261
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:33:00 PM by StarSwirl05 »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 16, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
I gotta say that I'm not loving the castle.

Unsurprisingly- there seem to be far fewer peeks into the NY Toyfair stuff (which is more locked down) than the UK ToyFair.
Really? I always felt the NY Toy Fair wasn't as locked down. There were tons of images the last couple of years.

It is a lot harder for a regular person to see stuff at the NY Toy Fair-  I think the only people sneaking (and I do mean sneaking) pictures of the stuffs are people with Press passes and credentials- and even those are getting harder to get these days.  I got in with a badge from a toy buyer two years back and saw absolutely nothing...

A family friend is in the toy marketing business and she just told me that ToyFair USED to be the big thing- but now most transactions with the buyers (ie Walmart, Target, etc.) happen by appointment- throughout the year.  Toyfair isn't what it used to be.  And there is a lot more lockdown about new ideas and toys until almost final production because of the terrible problems with toy companies stealing each other's ideas.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if some better photos leak out from some sneaky press person with a stealth camera...

It's super hard. I have a friend who tried like heck to go, because her character designs are actually in the dang show, and she couldn't get in.  A lot of the reps are all by appointment, yeah. It's nothing like how the big book expo is run in the same building in May.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
at least the show is still getting new episodes at all. And the network treats it like it's it's only show on sometimes. :/ I don't understand complaining about this. It's fine to dislike the equestria girls but you've said it so much already in here...
Ya, I agree..we get it you all don't like EQG, but there's no need to post it one every thread dealing with them mentioning you hate them :/ it comes off on others as annoying  >_<

I'd just like to point out that the Arena as a majority, focuses on the toys that we collect more than the show that goes with the toys. Yes the FiM cartoon is still going strong and has way more compared to EQG, but as far as the toys that we COLLECT there are way less than there could be. Yes it might be true that Hasbro is making a choice to make more dolls than ponies, but as far as I know it's never been clearly stated that EQG has a totally different branch than MLP or even FiM.

This thread is also about the toys, not the shows. I think the EQG movie is charming and I do enjoy it, but I would prefer to COLLECT ponies.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 16, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Let's see...when all's said and done, my buylist:
-Accurate rainbow power ponies!!!
-2 Holly Dash, one to keep pristine and one to take the dots off of
-All the breezies I can buy (for baits as well as collection)
-Probably a couple snowglobe ponies
-Possibly that Octavia doll+pony
-We'll see how the new character dolls look in box, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that I'll want them
-ALL the minis and blind bags, because let's be realistic, it's me

My list is very similar to this.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 16, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
They seem to have improved on the quality of the dolls (other than the articulation but there are plenty of other current doll lines that don't either like Moxie Girls and some of the Barbie lines) and the only disappointment I have is there were no Equestria Boys. I would have loved a Flash Sentry or Big Mac doll. Especially if it came with a pony. *sighs*
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #396 on: February 16, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
They seem to have improved on the quality of the dolls (other than the articulation but there are plenty of other current doll lines that don't either like Moxie Girls and some of the Barbie lines) and the only disappointment I have is there were no Equestria Boys. I would have loved a Flash Sentry or Big Mac doll. Especially if it came with a pony. *sighs*

Seriously disappointing the lack of boys, and in general new pony characters. Well just have to wait for Funko Big Mac should be coming soon, and who knows maybe someday well get a Flash Sentry and Sunset Shimmer wave, I wouldn't mind that wave at all would be a good pairing.

For Sale Wants

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #397 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
Well I think this needs to turn around... what other convention/fair/etc. MIGHT we see more for the line?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
These are the snow globe ponies

Looking at them now... I'm thinking that they are going to be solid and a bit heavy maybe like the custom resin ponies that some people do? I still might get them but I'd really have to see them to decide

Post Merge: February 16, 2014, 10:33:20 AM

Am I the only one seeing this?

Even if that doll is based off of G2 Ivy.. I am passing on her.

is it just me or dose that Cadence have Celestias head and wings?

i do like the look of these ,   will probably end up getting them
and the EQG dolls that come with new ponies.  tho im likely to give the dolls away  , im really only in this fandom for the brushable ponies. 

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
The only things here I'm actually excited for are the BaB Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, because they look adorable! Everything else is...uh...I dunno. I really can't see much of the pony that I fell in love with in 2011. I am actually really relieved by that though, because that means a lot more money for me :) And I don't mean that sarcastically! All that I'm excited to get this year are the CMC Build a Bear plushies and the Funko vinyls. And the releases for those are so spaced out, I don't really have to worry about budgeting for those. I fell out of love with Monster High over the summer too, so that along with the disappointment Pony's been has allowed me to save up quite a bit of $$.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 16, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
I am positively dying for that castle... I'm a sucker for the playsets. So many pony posing possibilities! Plus, the slide.... oh the slide!!!
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 16, 2014, 11:47:47 PM »
Hmmm lots of interesting stuff! I'm glad the EQG fans are celebrating!

Here's what I will purchase:
Snow Globe Ponies- For display! Pretty!
Holly Dash - A little acetone should treat that leprosy!
Possibly 1-2 pop ponies have to see them in person.

I will want Photo finish and Octavia! If anyone sees them on Taobao and does a group order PLEASE contact me! I do not have any interest in owning the dolls!

Also the breezies look cheap and weird. AND I've totally seen that collector set at garage sale once! Only they were G1's and it was sharpie not printed...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:49:49 PM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:29 AM »
That other pony site (ED) has an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal that talks about Hasbro's most recent marketing choices. It will be an interesting (and possibly frustrating) read for everyone who wants ponies from the MLP brand. Seems to explain the emphasis on dolls in the toy fair.

Nah...for me I still dont get it. The article just expands on why Hasbro and Mattel and the likes have launched new "skimpier" and fashion focused doll lines; it doesnt explain the distinct move away from MLP [as in ponies]. Hasbro were probably always going to come out with something to complete with MH. Traditionally, although they have largely flopped in comparison to Mattel who have always dominated the doll line, Hasbro have had fashion dolls in the past. And the success of MLP, an already established and incredibly successful brand probably encouraged them to use it as a platform for the line rather than start a brand new standalone line which would have to prove and pitch itself. 

MLP has never been about appealing to the 6+ bracket. In fact research has shown that 6 is the age at which children will walk away from brands which appealed to them at 3 years old. In the last 2 decades this age point has decreased from 9 to 6 years old. Therefore traditionally the brands which continued to appeal to the 6 to 9 market [Barbie and MLP] are no longer keeping the focus of children past 6 years old. MH and EQG are an attempt to offer something to the market that they have been loosing.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

G4Sweeties

« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2014, 01:38:45 AM »
I personally am ecstatic about all the stuff at this years fair!

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
That other pony site (ED) has an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal that talks about Hasbro's most recent marketing choices. It will be an interesting (and possibly frustrating) read for everyone who wants ponies from the MLP brand. Seems to explain the emphasis on dolls in the toy fair.

Nah...for me I still dont get it. The article just expands on why Hasbro and Mattel and the likes have launched new "skimpier" and fashion focused doll lines; it doesnt explain the distinct move away from MLP [as in ponies]. Hasbro were probably always going to come out with something to complete with MH. Traditionally, although they have largely flopped in comparison to Mattel who have always dominated the doll line, Hasbro have had fashion dolls in the past. And the success of MLP, an already established and incredibly successful brand probably encouraged them to use it as a platform for the line rather than start a brand new standalone line which would have to prove and pitch itself. 

MLP has never been about appealing to the 6+ bracket. In fact research has shown that 6 is the age at which children will walk away from brands which appealed to them at 3 years old. In the last 2 decades this age point has decreased from 9 to 6 years old. Therefore traditionally the brands which continued to appeal to the 6 to 9 market [Barbie and MLP] are no longer keeping the focus of children past 6 years old. MH and EQG are an attempt to offer something to the market that they have been loosing.

Huh... I have never heard those numbers before! That's a rather disconcerting change :S

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal