collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NY Toy Fair 2014  (Read 31560 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: NY Toy Fair 2014
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
Do people hate Equestria Girls because they're knockoffs of Monster High? <:/

I don't *hate* EQG, but I don't like them either.  Mostly because I am just not into dolls at all.  I find it irritating that Hasbro is focusing on fashion dolls for a line that is supposed to be all about *ponies.*

I don't know much about MH, but several people have made comment that MH is better quality with more articulation for the same price point.  That would be very irritating for those who might otherwise like EQG.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
Wow! A lot more stuff this year than last year!

I actually LOVE the Snowglobe ponies- how pretty!  Love the photo finish pony-yay! Can't really see the Octavia pony but happy about her too.

The breezier are pretty cute- and that Zecora doll is cool!  I love punk stuff but wish they had done a better job with the punk ponies. Still- I bet I can make them look better- maybe...

Wish I didn't have to look through so many pages to see stuff- is there one place where everything spotted has been gathered?

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:29 AM »
Cadance design a pony amd AHHHH! NEW BRUSAHABLE CHARACTERS!??  Also I have to say Rainbow ash on that box (the slide castle) is pretty darned cute! :p Im mostly excited fpr the Octavia Doll and the snowglobe ponies!!!!

Post Merge: February 16, 2014, 11:34:04 AM

Agreed with Galactic, we should put ALL toy fair photos in one spot!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:34:04 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 16, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
oh, I didn't realize they were snowglobe ponies. I'll still wait to see them in person before deciding, but I'm definitely less interested in them now than when I was thinking they were just clear (and a softer plastic like normal ponies)
and what's with the mismatched wings/bodies on two of them??

Yeah I'm not sure with that, either. I definitely prefer the all clear ones. I think it's a bit odd Cadence is in Celestia's mould, too, when the other mould was actually more accurate to her =/

It may be that the mould works better with the gimmick.  I mean that because of the way the pony has to be manufactured in order for the "snow globe" to work, that they "had" to use the larger mould because the smaller moulds were *too* small.

Could be...but they made the Luna snowglobe in that mould so those moulds are possible for this kind of pony. If they make a Twilight one it'll be interesting to see whether she's in a Cadence/Luna mould like usual or in the smaller size...

Post Merge: February 16, 2014, 11:40:33 AM

No. I really, really wanted to like them, but they're very expensive and cheaply made (I've yet to see one without dodgy decals, paint defects, gouged plastic or gunky hair), they all have the same face and same (creepy) expression and same body, and so many of them aren't even jointed. Plus, until now, they weren't even wearing the cute outfits they had in the film. I really would like to like them, especially as I enjoyed the film, but...Hasbro have just cut too many corners and are charging too much for them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:40:33 AM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #334 on: February 16, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »

I dislike them because, it means less pony in show and toys. Season 3 was cut short because of the first movie to 13 episodes. And as you can see 40 new EQG and like 3 new ponies, they are taking over. I have no interest in dolls, and wish thy would spend more of their time coming out with new pony characters, and new My Little Pony movies rather than human movies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:52:12 AM by Aquatic Neon »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
Huh...thanks for the answers everyone :P I feel alittle better now knowing that its just not flat out hate and "Kill it with fire" :X

The only issue I have with some EQG is the hair...my deluxe Dash has that kinda light, rip out easily hair  :| as long as I see no more of that, i'm good.

I dislike them because, it means less pony in show and toys. Season 3 was cut short because of the first movie to 13 episodes. And as you can see 40 new EQG and like 3 new ponies, they are taking over. I have no interest in dolls, and wish thy would spend more of their time coming out with new pony characters, and new My Little Pony movies rather than human movies.
And FiM is still running...I haven't seen a human in the show yet :s

This is just a new branch of Hasbro :P they could easily make new ponies using the multiple BBs as inspiration but choose not to  :(

I'll be getting some new ponies (the Snow Globe ones seem cool) but i'll also be purchasing as many EQG dolls as I can :P (obviously i'm an avid EQG fan :P )
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #336 on: February 16, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »

i am a mh fan and a pony fan..  honestly i wish MLP would just do the MLP thing instead of trying to  get in on the doll market.  I don't like EG because  these dolls are less quality
 they seem cheap to me. I am not going to spend $20 on them when i can buy MH Or  EAH for the same price.. MOst of these dolls aren't even poseable, and the plastic seems cheaper..   i also don't like that there faces and such are all the same ( I have been spoild by mattel LOL)  and  also hate that they have those darn brats feet and can't swap shoes and stuff with other dolls.

Some of the designs are cute, but again the price point for me just kill the collecting.. If the jointed ones were like $12 or so i  would MAYBE consider it, but not for $20.

IN my opinion  ponies should stay ponies ,  and i would have rathered that they introduce  human characters,( like megan in G1)and doing a line of  human compainons  than turning the girls into humans.  IMHO  they could have done alot better with the  design of the EG  dolls over all.. I mean if you are gonna go with anthro pony girls, please  add more pony  to the mix.. i would have loved to see Hooved feet (  better than the snap on shoes)  or even centaur style bodies would have been really cool!! 

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #337 on: February 16, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
Huh...thanks for the answers everyone :P I feel alittle better now knowing that its just not flat out hate and "Kill it with fire" :X

The only issue I have with some EQG is the hair...my deluxe Dash has that kinda light, rip out easily hair  :| as long as I see no more of that, i'm good.

And FiM is still running...I haven't seen a human in the show yet :s

This is just a new branch of Hasbro :P they could easily make new ponies using the multiple BBs as inspiration but choose not to  :(

I'll be getting some new ponies (the Snow Globe ones seem cool) but i'll also be purchasing as many EQG dolls as I can :P (obviously i'm an avid EQG fan :P )

True I just wish they had used different characters and not attached the My Little Pony title, it should just be called Equestria Girls and not My Little Pony Equestria Girls I hope eventually it will lose the My Little Pony part since it doesn't need it anymore. Yes I understand FIM is still a show with only ponies, but I'm disappointed and sad that the humans only get to be in theaters and get a theatrical release when ponies do not, my first biggest issue, second is seeing how much time and effort into new EQG characters at this toy fair and giving them tons of new characters from the show and not from the show, when the only new pony we got is Holly Dash as a single, and breezies paired with mane 6....

For Sale Wants

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 16, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »
So... that's it? D:

Not really happy that Octavia has markings around her eyes - maybe it's just me but I think that looks really weird :/ Having seen better photos of the Breezies I'm not as impressed with them now, either - their faces look rather odd, plus molded hair :/ I know they're small, but Dollymixes (for example) are tiny (smaller than G3 Breezies) and they're brushable.. I don't see that it would have been hard to give these G4 Breezies proper hair. :/ I'm more bothered about their faces, though - I'm kind of particular about that (I'm the kind of person that compares plushies/dolls while buying them to make sure I'm getting one with a 'nice' face :B). I'm not 100% turned off them yet, but I'm less excited than I was now. Still, anything new is exciting at this point!

I'm not too surprised that the Breezies are apparently only in multipacks though - I remember reading somewhere that the original G3 Breezies were specifically designed to be included in multipacks and playsets back in the day. Hopefully there will eventually be some Breezie-only packs in G4, like in G3.

Not a fan of translucent or glittery things in general, so the Snowglobe princesses and blind bags do nothing for me. (Although I'm not a blind bag collector anyways, heh)

Holly Dash (I believe that's her name?) looks okay; not really to my tastes tbh, but I am glad there seems to be at least *one* new single. I *hate* the dots all over her legs, though - yes it would be easy to get rid of them, but I'm the kind of person that hates customizing things to that extent unless I have a 'back-up' :( Ah well, I doubt I'll get her anyway.

The KISS ponies are.. To be honest, I think they're hideous ^^; I agree that they seem to be trying waayy too hard. Talking Chrysalis is just weird looking.

Some of the dolls are pretty nice looking; I may pick up Adagio's friends (or whatever they are) and/or Vinyl. Photo Finish is also pretty nice, but I doubt I'll be buying her; I'm not really a fan of Photo Finish (reminds me too much of Lady Gaga, heh).

Overall though I'm really disappointed :( Too much focus on Equestria Girls for my liking.. I'm pretty much neutral to the dolls in general as a side line to the ponies, but I'm really concerned about the lack of new ponies compared to EG. :/ I was really hoping for a new Favourites Collection, if nothing else.

edit: Just realized my wording here might have been a bit confusing. What I mean when I say I didn't mind EG as a "side line" is.. I like G3 Ponyvilles, I think they're adorable. But I liked them in addition to the main line of G3s (the brushables). Does that make sense? ^^;;
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:31:11 PM by Carrehz »

Offline SaelaVe

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 16, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »

I don't hate them (and I don't like MH either)
I don't like them b/c they are not PONIES. Hasbro is leaving the "pony" out of "my little pony" more and more, and I was even more frustrated that they introduced them in a huge anniversary year for MLP without any nod to the anniversary, they turned the ponies into humans :(

*edit to add, I also think they are poorly made for the price (both MH and Bratzillaz and EAH seem to have better quality dolls including joints and actual feet for the same or less $). I don't like the way their faces look or the shape of their heads

This is exactly how I feel.
I don't consider the EG dolls to be knockoffs of MH at all. Aside from them both being fashion dolls, there are little to no similarities between the two lines.
I'm upset that My Little Pony is slowly becoming My Little People.

And yes, the quality of the dolls is utter poop. They look no better than dollar store fakies. I expected a lot better from a company of Hasbro's caliber.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:28:10 PM by Sweetcakes »
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 16, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
O man why does America get all the cool exclusive merch AGAIN. I wanted Photo Finish so badly but the US keeps it again for themself. I feel like Europe is being ignored REALLY hard.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »

I don't hate them (and I don't like MH either)
I don't like them b/c they are not PONIES. Hasbro is leaving the "pony" out of "my little pony" more and more, and I was even more frustrated that they introduced them in a huge anniversary year for MLP without any nod to the anniversary, they turned the ponies into humans :(

*edit to add, I also think they are poorly made for the price (both MH and Bratzillaz and EAH seem to have better quality dolls including joints and actual feet for the same or less $). I don't like the way their faces look or the shape of their heads

exactly.  thre not  ponys. and for me its just   a knock off of    Monster high ebcuase htey had to put there hands in that cookie jar..     and there crappy   there not worth the moeny and the new ones are just downright UGH.
but  this  is  claled my littl epony not  my  little Dollie..  but  yet they seem to be more  EDQ   doll dominated which is  sad. 

i'll be hoenst i dont like  edq dolls.  i  am not a a fan of  dolls normally though..  i'm not even a fan of MH though  depenidng on how that centaur looks i might get it.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Review found on Atamaii. Notice how she keeps saying "exciting"... that's not really the feeling we on the forum have about this...
http://youtu.be/5EYUvFZkoR4

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 16, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
O man why does America get all the cool exclusive merch AGAIN. I wanted Photo Finish so badly but the US keeps it again for themself. I feel like Europe is being ignored REALLY hard.

Oh, this too. The only new characters released (in brushable form) here in the UK last year were Sunset Shimmer, Mrs. Dazzlecake and Twirly Treats (who I personally only ever saw a few times, in one shop - that's probably just because I live in a one-horse town though), and Wysteria (who was terribly over-priced) D: Half the fun of G4s (at least for me) is finding them in the stores..

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #344 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »

You can have all this stuff most of us don't want all of it. Well take new ponies, the EQG can come to netherland or  better yet they can go to neverlands in my opinion. lol

For Sale Wants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal