collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Anyone else tired of Sexy Apple Jack Cosplays?  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: DISCUSSION: Anyone else tired of Sexy Apple Jack Cosplays?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 06:10:12 AM »
The Ever After High pic isn't showing up.  However, I would expect to see someone dressed like Clawdeen prowling the streets of Detroit looking for Johns than attending high school.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline SaelaVe

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
I say if you're gonna do sexy cosplay of ponies, two things. One; mind your audience. Your more seductive Rarity may be a hit at a big convention where there are adult themes (if you are so inclined) like Anime Expo, but would be in really really poor taste at the MLP Fair.

I think this is the real issue that Katai was addressing. Not so much an issue of sexy cosplay, but whether it is appropriate to cosplay children's characters sexily—especially at conventions and events that children will be attending.
To put it in other terms: can you imagine going to a convention and seeing someone cosplaying as Dora the Explorer in a mini-skirt and tube top? It would beg the question: why?

I myself would be pretty upset if I took my daughter to something as innocent as an MLP convention and saw a herd of sexualized Fluttershys prancing around. Especially when I'm trying to teach my daughter that being a woman is not about being an object of fantasy fodder.
Which brings me to my next point:

The over-sexiness in all costuming in our society right now is annoying and it is disappointing--but not surprising at all--that it spread to MLP cosplays as well. I mean, just look at this blog post pointing out the issues that every Halloween costume series currently has:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2013/10/28/cookie-monster-costumes/

"Boys can dress up like Cookie Monster, and girls can dress up like a dress."

(Remember in Equestria Girls all six of the Mane 6 wore skirts, even RD. Girls = dress, because dress = sexy)

I love this, and could not possibly agree with that article more!
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Katai

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 07:00:36 AM »
The Ever After High pic isn't showing up.  However, I would expect to see someone dressed like Clawdeen prowling the streets of Detroit looking for Johns than attending high school.

My thoughts exactly! When I first saw a clip of her the way she acted and talked I was disgusted. Such a sterotype and acted like a hooker.

Heres the pic for ever after high:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35000000/Characters-ever-after-high-35090341-960-540.jpg

Post Merge: December 25, 2013, 07:02:46 AM

I say if you're gonna do sexy cosplay of ponies, two things. One; mind your audience. Your more seductive Rarity may be a hit at a big convention where there are adult themes (if you are so inclined) like Anime Expo, but would be in really really poor taste at the MLP Fair.

I think this is the real issue that Katai was addressing. Not so much an issue of sexy cosplay, but whether it is appropriate to cosplay children's characters sexily—especially at conventions and events that children will be attending.
To put it in other terms: can you imagine going to a convention and seeing someone cosplaying as Dora the Explorer in a mini-skirt and tube top? It would beg the question: why?

I myself would be pretty upset if I took my daughter to something as innocent as an MLP convention and saw a herd of sexualized Fluttershys prancing around. Especially when I'm trying to teach my daughter that being a woman is not about being an object of fantasy fodder.
Which brings me to my next point:

The over-sexiness in all costuming in our society right now is annoying and it is disappointing--but not surprising at all--that it spread to MLP cosplays as well. I mean, just look at this blog post pointing out the issues that every Halloween costume series currently has:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2013/10/28/cookie-monster-costumes/

"Boys can dress up like Cookie Monster, and girls can dress up like a dress."

(Remember in Equestria Girls all six of the Mane 6 wore skirts, even RD. Girls = dress, because dress = sexy)

I love this, and could not possibly agree with that article more!

In a way yes, this is what I'm talking about. Though one could argue that a slightly sexualized Rarity wouldn't be out of place, since she doesn't kind of present herself that way. However, pushing her TOO sexual would just be inappropriate as thats not her character at all.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:10:05 AM by Katai »

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

My thoughts exactly! When I first saw a clip of her the way she acted and talked I was disgusted. Such a sterotype and acted like a hooker.

I'm curious as to how she was a 'stereotype' of a hooker in your eyes, actually; I watched the first webisode, and she seemed like a very standard, sassy teenager. (Maybe you watched a different episode than I did?) Yeah, the midriff baring is a bit much, and her skirt could stand to be a bit longer, but IMO it's still a decent outfit? (For an older teen, like 15-19; for a 13 year old, I'd say no way!) I mean, I don't personally think it's indecent, and I remember back in the 90s when platform heels were all the rage - and apparently, they're coming back! I had a pair of 3-inch lime green platform sandals, and trust me, I wasn't walking the streets! IMO, a miniskirt isn't inherently 'hookerish' - I know a lot of teenagers wear them, almost always with dance shorts or tights on underneath. If they're flashing their underwear everywhere, okay, then let's panic! - but for a fashion doll, they have to differentiate their fashion styles somehow. They can't all have skirts the exact same length, you know?

I just worry that, as we seem to be doing now, the emphasis of the discussion is shifting away from "I wish they wouldn't over-sexualize children's TV show characters solely for the benefit of drooling creeptastic male nerds" and into "this skirt is shorter than I would wear, therefore it's hookerish"? Cosplay has enough manufactured competition from the above-referenced creepy/drooling nerds, there's no need to add any more! xD

IMO, if someone is creating a 'sexy' cosplay just so they can get attention - I bring out my side-eye. It sort of drags the whole mood down, when you work hard on your costume and you see someone in super-revealing street clothes and a pair of ears with a crowd of admirers. But if someone legitimately wants to try and re-imagine this character in a way they haven't seen done before (burlesque, etc.), then by all means, give it a shot! I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity; I just don't want to see cosplay turned into a "how much skin can I show before I get arrested" competition. :P
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »
I'm all for girls embracing their sexuality so If an apple Jack Cosplayer feels like wearing something like that. More power to her. As somebody who thinks  That a costume should reflect the charater and a cosplayer i'm I think there are more likely outfits for our little rancher pony

Katai

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »

I'm curious as to how she was a 'stereotype' of a hooker in your eyes, actually; I watched the first webisode, and she seemed like a very standard, sassy teenager. (Maybe you watched a different episode than I did?) Yeah, the midriff baring is a bit much, and her skirt could stand to be a bit longer, but IMO it's still a decent outfit? (For an older teen, like 15-19; for a 13 year old, I'd say no way!) I mean, I don't personally think it's indecent, and I remember back in the 90s when platform heels were all the rage - and apparently, they're coming back! I had a pair of 3-inch lime green platform sandals, and trust me, I wasn't walking the streets! IMO, a miniskirt isn't inherently 'hookerish' - I know a lot of teenagers wear them, almost always with dance shorts or tights on underneath. If they're flashing their underwear everywhere, okay, then let's panic! - but for a fashion doll, they have to differentiate their fashion styles somehow. They can't all have skirts the exact same length, you know?

I just worry that, as we seem to be doing now, the emphasis of the discussion is shifting away from "I wish they wouldn't over-sexualize children's TV show characters solely for the benefit of drooling creeptastic male nerds" and into "this skirt is shorter than I would wear, therefore it's hookerish"? Cosplay has enough manufactured competition from the above-referenced creepy/drooling nerds, there's no need to add any more! xD

IMO, if someone is creating a 'sexy' cosplay just so they can get attention - I bring out my side-eye. It sort of drags the whole mood down, when you work hard on your costume and you see someone in super-revealing street clothes and a pair of ears with a crowd of admirers. But if someone legitimately wants to try and re-imagine this character in a way they haven't seen done before (burlesque, etc.), then by all means, give it a shot! I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity; I just don't want to see cosplay turned into a "how much skin can I show before I get arrested" competition. :P

Oh I didn't mean she was as sterotype of a hooker. I meant..well this may sound wrong, I'm a hispanic woman and the way they made her act just felt like a sterotype or bad light on a hispanic woman. But I don't want to get too far off topic.

Tirac

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »
I'm tired of any "sexy" ponies, period. I feel like making anything sexy really has no place in a series meant for young kids, whether it's cosplay, art, or anything else.
This is how I feel. Now, I am not against people cosplaying how they want to, I guess I'm just tired of seeing it ALL THE TIME.
I always thought that cosplaying means to keep the personality of the character a little bit too, not just dress as them.

Offline Voxintegra

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
I totally agree,  while people can portray the MLP characters as feminine, beautiful,  and even a bit more adult female (as in adult vs childlike) but when I first stumbled onto the adult rated MLP stuff and fanfic, I initially thought "what twisted mind watches the show and somehow decide that the ponies were sexually stimulating? "
I mean,  it's intended for grade school kids...and the next thoughts were wondering if the people who are into that should be overseen around real horses, ponies and even more worrisome possibilities. 
People enjoy what they enjoy,  but in this case,  it may be an issue should children want to, let's say, go online and get involved in the online community. ..the very first thing I came across before the Arena and StrawReef and the like was a despicable, raunchy fan fic story that made me reconsider online forums. 
As for cosplay,  if the character is portrayed as sexy or enticing,  ok well then that's obviously the way they should be portrayed cosplay style,  but if the character isn't sexy or scantily clad then you are changing the characters perceived image, and how can a true to life fan do that respectfully?  Do they really like the show or characters or do they just enjoy the attention,  getting an excuse to show just how confident they may be,  are they trying to be the best cosplay costume by using and exploiting sexual interests? A half dressed or less female will obviously get more ratings than most decently dressed cosplay outfits, but by default and entrapment.  Its easy to cosplay when you only need a couple square feet of fabric in an appropriate character color,  wig and tail attachment. It takes true skill to portray a character that is true to their persona.  Twilight Sparkle is anything but sexy...so is Dash and AJ, Rarity is more classically beautiful and Fluttershy is the soft spoken feminine beauty like cinderella etc.  Frankly,  I'm getting tired of all this too and gladly agree with this and the majority of people's comments above. 

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
I can picture Rarity in a cocktail dress, but that's about as much skin as I would imagine she would show in human form.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Honestly while I would never do "sexy" cosplay, I feel that if someone wants to its their choice. I feel a bigger issue is guys that feel entitled to harass these women based on what they wear.

This is how I feel as well. I personally have no issues with women showing as much skin as they want (after all, if men get to do it, why can't women?) as I don't think our bodies are anything to be ashamed of.
I also agree that these issues don't exist in a vacuum, but that shouldn't be the cosplayers' fault, though here I would be going way off topic regarding entitlement.

Either way, I also much prefer tasteful cosplays, but at the end of the day, it is their choice and I'm not sure that going around setting double standards for how women can and can't cosplay is the right thing to do :(

Pretty much all of this for me too.

I believe something like cosplay is an interpretation [especially when you are humanising an animal - who is all naked to start with anyway :P] and that interpretation can be made in any way a person prefers. If someone wants to show flesh and dress in a minimalist cosplay outfit, then fair enough to them; its their interpretation and as long as they dont expect everyone to like it then I think no harm done.

Do I like the way FiM has largely brought a much more adult feel to ponies, along with the sexualisation of a childrens toy and cartoon? Nope, its my biggest hate of the moment and something which makes me bemoan the general popularity of MLP and the direction a section of fans have taken it. However, I dont think that such a course is due to sexy cosplay - sexy cosplay of even the most non sexualised characters exists in every fandom not just MLP. Unfortunately I think when you look at the demographic of a lot of G4 fans now, their preferences and perhaps the other fandoms they are coming from was always going to put this rather unpleasant [for me] spin on ponies. :(

Yes yes YES!

I used to have a friend who cosplays and she has such a build, she has a big chest, so her few costumes, even if she covered herself up, unintentionally came out as sexy. Did she play around with the idea of a character being sexy because of that? Yes she did. She got attention and people liked to take her pictures and she posed and had been happy that people liked her hard work put into her costume and details. I never though any less of her because of that, even if it wasn't 100% true to the character. I've seen so many women getting bashed for their costumes - usually when it comes to comic book characters, if the girl isn't skinny and fit, there will be bashing. If her costume isn't sexy enough, there will be bashing. I once saw a cute Supergirl cosplayer, I think she was 15 or 16 and a bunch of older guys told her to get rid of her costume, because she's just ruining it for other cosplayers of Supergirl. Why? Because her chest was too small and her skirt wasn't short enough :/

There is nothing wrong with sexy cosplay in my opinion, as long as it's picked for an appropriate place and audience. If you're dressing up sexily for a convention that will have mostly little kids there, that is very disturbing. If you're dressing sexily to feel better about yourself, embracing your sexuality and you know there will be other people dressed like you for the fun of it - go for it, just know the borderlines and don't do it to please others rather than yourself. Sadly the borderlines of what is appropriate or sexy got pushed so far, it's hard to decide what is okay and what is showing off too much skin. Even I sometimes wonder if my clothes aren't pushing it too far when I dress - do they show too much skin? Will I draw too much unwanted attention in this blouse? I guess it's not so much different with cosplay - sometimes creating a costume that turns out to be sexy isn't as intentional. Like someone mentioned before: "It was summer" and "it was cute". Because that's how most clothes are designed nowadays :(

I try to stay out of the fandom of FiM as much as I can. I love the show and the line of ponies, but the amount of bronies who are interested in sexualizing (is there a word like that in English? :blush: ) the characters is scaring me. And I don't mean the whole fandom of bronies, far from it - there are still a lot of great people that are enjoying the show in a 'healthy' way, but there is also that side which makes me cringe and that I don't understand why FiM got so popular among them. Not too long ago there was a document in a local TV about a school that forbid MLP, Monster High and Hello Kitty items to be owned by the kids going there, because they aren't catholic and are evil and are satanic. The news reported it as funny incident, talking with young moms about how Hello Kitty helps their children learn about home, chores, etc. Then other young moms said how MH helps with accepting people who are different and how it helps developing tolerance. And when it came to MLP, they showed a brony who showed off his collection, said the ponies are super cute to him and told that he's going to church far more often since he started watching MLP. Why couldn't they reach out to another mom who could say that MLP helps showing what friendship is?

The thing that I think scares me the most is the sexy cosplayers that are wearing Scootaloo's, Apple Bloom's or Sweetie Belle's outfits. No, that's just pushing it too far.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
I don’t mind sexy cosplay per se. It depends on the place and perhaps the intentions of the cosplayer.
I just enjoy cosplayers who give a bit of a different spin to these characters. For example, a steampunk Applejack or maybe even a “Gothic” Pinkie Pie (based on the Pinkie toys with black streaks in their manes).

That said, I’m sick of the fans that turn everything MLP-related into something sexual. On places like EQD you can’t post a picture of a pony with half closed eyes without bumping into someone going “OMG bedroom eyes!!”.  Also, there are too many people drooling over cartoon horse ass.
Not to mention the MLP sex toys and people who act as if a pony is their girlfriend.
I’m sure there are people going “but every fandom has people like that!”.
For me, that really doesn’t make things any better...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »
I've heard the "every fandom" argument too.  However, the brony fnadom seems to be the only one where the outrageous and inappropriate members are promoted to celebrity status.  Bronies reward bad behavior with attention.  It makes me wonder if that's why everything is sexual because it's the only way to get noticed.  It would certainly be sad commentary on what's happened to the fandom.

I think it also comes down to behavior.  I fine with a cosplayer showing some skin, but if they start acting like a hooker (even if they're modestly dressed) than they're doing everyone a disservice.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »
As my other post mentions, I'm fine with people exploring their sexuality as long as its the right time and place. If you want to cosplay "sexy" ponies go to a convention where people usually do "sexy" cosplay. If people want to write or draw "sexy" pony stuff fine, just keep it where only adults can find it and everyone is good. I mean I once saw "sexy" art of the G1 boy ponies on some furry site (hey I was curious) back during the G3 days do it isn't something new but what is new is how you don't even need to search for it. It's almost as if adult men feel they own the internet.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:40:39 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 12:05:44 AM »
I agree with what many if not everyone here has already said, sexy and MLP just don't mix or at least they shouldn't.

Although there is a time and place for everything, I just don't understand the need for anyone to turn anything so innocent into something so overtly sexy, which as far as I've seen happens more often with the fanfic and artwork.

I find it most disturbing to google image search "My Little Pony" and see all sorts of incredibly inappropriate pictures of 18+ images that are not for young eyes, heck, it's not even stuff I want to look at and I'm 34.

Although I'm not into cosplay myself, I do prefer when people stay true to the character that they are playing, as opposed to going overboard for the attention and turning the character into something they aren't.

Btw, I adore the AJ and Twilight cosplay pics you guys, you both look nice :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »
My guess is people think Daisy Duke when they cause play as Applejack.  It really doesn't fit her character, but what are you gonna do?

This 100%
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal