collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Anyone else tired of Sexy Apple Jack Cosplays?  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Re: DISCUSSION: Anyone else tired of Sexy Apple Jack Cosplays?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
I just don't like it when people turn MLP into something it's not and make the brand look bad.  I mean, it wont' change my opinion and my love for MLP but some random person might search MLP one day, because they heard how awesome it is from their friend and they happen to come upon the sexy cosplay or "adult" images of characters doing things they shouldn't and then you end up having a person a fan of the wrong thing.  >_<

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »
Also, for all the people talking about themselves, I thought cosplay wasn't about YOU but the CHARACTER you're dressing as.  You're supposed to be paying homage to that character which means not just their design, but their personality.  There's obviously wiggle room as everyone has different looks from time to time, but taking a modest character and sexualizing them is, in my opinion, cheapening the character and turning them into a vehicle for attention to YOU which flies in the face in the spirit of cosplay.

However, I still believe the Applejack issue in particular is driven by Daisy Duke.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
I think the real problem is that in the world we live in a woman's body is something taboo and to be covered up. That women should feel ashamed for exposing their shoulders or knees. Like what's so 'sexy' about shorts and some tummy?

This.
I've seen a few pony cosplays that involved above-the-knee skirts and short-shorts that weren't the cosplayer trying to be 'sexy', just that they thought it fit something the character would wear and something they were comfy in (which is the point with humanised cosplays: the cosplayer has the creative control to make it something they are going to be comfortable wearing all day and that suits and flatters their body, and everyone has their own personal interpretation of what that character would wear. No one person is more "right" than another.)

For me, if a cosplay is a ~sexy cosplay~ then the cosplayer has to have made a conscious decision to want to appear that way and titillate their audience, not just be someone who is super comfy in shorts or is wearing less because the event is in the middle of summer. I doubt there's no small amount of people assuming cosplays are 'sexy' just because the person is wearing less than they would consider modest.

If a person is dressed or acting inappropriately at a convention then it's a problem convention staff should be notified to and dealing with (if it's a family friendly con then I'd hope anyone not keeping to a kid-friendly atmosphere would be asked to knock it off or leave). If they are merely dressed or acting in a way you don't agree with but that isn't illegal or against con rules...well, it's not their problem that you disagree with it. There is no such thing as the cosplay police and as far as I'm concerned, so long as a person is having fun and isn't deliberately ruining anyone else's experience then they're free to get on with it. The costume they're wearing isn't true to the character? Honestly? Who. Cares. If you want to be totally accurate go for it, but don't rag on someone else because they aren't. I'd rather everyone just enjoyed themselves rather than get worked up over whether a stranger's cosplay is accurate to the character or not. And as for sexualising the characters...the Equestria Girls' outfits are sexualised. Those skirts are veeery much above the knee. A show-accurate EqG cosplay would expose a lot of thigh and not be traditionally modest. And the short skirt-long boots thing is supposed to attract attention to the exposed leg. I can't recall the name for it but it's something done in anime a lot...

This is not to condone people whom act inappropriately at conventions, especially those that welcome children and young people, but those instances should be dealt with by the convention staff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:46:06 PM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Fisha Seabreeze

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
Yup I agree.  On an added note, I am also tired in general of people turning MLP into "adult" theme stuff.  Like you search MLP or go to youtube for MLP stuff and lots of the stuff you get is dirty.  There are some pretty sick people out there.  :rant:

I'm mostly talking about art not cosplay though.  :lookround:

Sadly it's the rule of the internets, if it exsists there's p0rn of it. No pony is safe. -_- >_<

[content edit ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:31:54 AM by hathorcat »

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
To get on topic ...
I have seen lots of cosplays .. some sexy some cute.. some just plain strange. My faves were the homestuck ponies at dragon con last year.. MLP versions of the home stuck characters.
When it comes down to it.. it depends on the person and what the want to attempt to do.
I think there are limits but if a person wants to attempt something I think they should try to do so... with in reason.

That being said... to get OFF topic sorta...
I AM SICK TO DEATH of all the disturbing stuff, art wise, cosplay wise, fan fic wise, or anything else, that i find out there with G4 ponies, or G1 or any gen.
I found one horrid one on creepy pasta that just made me want to vomit.
Be it sexualization... or horror settings ... or a myriad of other things... it just really upsets me when i see this stuff.
Its supposed to be a show for kids, and is generally considered to be something positive right?
so why do some people do this?
i really lack the capacity to understand.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2013, 03:36:41 AM »
I think it's the whole, it's a pony turned into a sex object that bothers me.

It's one thing for humans to dress up a certain way. They are human, I don't have a issue with it because at the end of the day, it's a human that is dressing sexy.

To me it's a whole other issue when people actually look at a pony and want to turn them into sexual objects and so much so that it becomes a unhealthy obsession.

At a certain point, I don't see some people as actually being My Little Pony 'people' anymore - I just see perverts honestly...I mean if that is all you surround yourself with and that is how you see MLP, then...you've lost what the real meaning of this toy/brand/cartoon is all about.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

popyduggan

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »
     It's sort of a "no win" argument, you'll say "why does it have to be sexy?", and they'll say,"why can't it be sexy?". It sort of extends to everything like halloween costumes, and the sci-fi/comic/game costumers.

There's really no right answer or solution though personally I like to keep cartoons and perversions separated.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:22:10 AM by popyduggan »

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
     It's sort of a "no win" argument, you'll say "why does it have to be sexy?", and they'll say,"why can't it be sexy?". It sort of extends to everything like halloween costumes, and the sci-fi/comic/game costumers.

There's really no right answer or solution though personally I like to keep cartoons and perversions separated.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Katai

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
I've been just reading everyones comments and while I don't agree with everyone I do thank everything for keeping things civil and on an adult level. Thank you!!

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
I'm definitely sick of overly sexualized ponies as well.

Me too. These are supposed to be children's toys!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2014, 03:21:53 AM »
Locked HC
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal