collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are fans of all Gens called?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: What are fans of all Gens called?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
I am also never a fan of the weird fandom names which groups give themselves . . . Trekkie or similar.

:shocked:

LOL - I just find that it brackets people together. Just because you like Star Trek does not mean you are the same as everyone else who likes Star Trek. I love Dr Who and I love Star Trek and I am all in a proper geek when it comes to a lot of Sci Fi fandoms but I would never describe myself as a "Trekkie" because I think it boxes people into a stereotype.

I think fandom names make it easy for people to laugh at or judge people. Everyone everywhere is a fan of something and I just think the fandoms which come with designated names - be they Trekkies or Beiblebers - are often those which are the most stereotyped. And "brony" is quickly becoming one of that group - dont a lot of us judge people as being of a certain type of person because they call themselves "brony" where as we know thats not the case. Its never as clear cut as a person being as simple as a label.

On the Arena one of the biggest complaints is often bracketing MLP as a girls toy or as girly and trying to break out of gender boundaries. I just think that is relateable to fandoms. I think you can be bracketed and judged as a whole person just because you define yourself as a Trekkie. So for me I would rather not go by a fandom name - I ll call myself a Star Trek fan instead. Does that make sense?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SALTY5621

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Tastes good in your mouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
my G4 fan friends hav dubbed me a 'veteran brony'. i rather like the term so i do use it when refering to myself

DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »
"Pony Peeps" is what I use. 

It started of as "My Little Pony Collectors" and gradually changed/shortened.  Not all fans are collectors.  And not many people outside of MLP know what MLP stands for, and just calling everyone "Pony People" sounded like some kind of furry thing, so it's my pony peeps.  It's the shortest one I have to explain the least. 

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »
This is just me personally, but I've been using the term "Brony For All Ponies" for ages now, it's on most of my "personal texts" including here.  Though I'm perfectly content to be referred to as a brony, since there was never anything forcing us to only be fans of FIM.

That said, it only really works if you're okay with the term brony.  I'm fine with it, so that's what I am.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

DavidC

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »
I like that! "Brony for all Ponies". ~stealing~

I admit that I describe myself as a "Trekkie" or a "Brony" in defiance as much as anything. If the terms are taking on a negative connotation in our Corporate Propaganda Media World, then I'm proud to be different. I know though, that fellow anime fans of my age never liked the label of "Otaku" because of the Japan-specific negative meaning.

I'd recommend Ponyfans or Pony Peeps, if you like to use a term. Those are pretty inclusive.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:20 AM »
I would call them collectors. I guess that is what I call myself, my little pony collector :)

Offline Rainbowings

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 03:35:08 AM »
I would call them the same as one genaration collectors    SEXY!

Offline kandipony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • "always dresses in style!"
    • View Profile
    • kandipony
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »
I just say I practice all generation appreciation.

love for ALL the little ponies! lol :)

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »
BRACE YOURSELVES!!! They're called "my little pony fans" (kersploooode) your mind has been blown.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
Broke.  ;)

:like:

I just think of myself as a pony collector :)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
In college I took this class on evolution that was very fascinating. The textbook described how humans have basically evolved to quickly label others and put other people into categories. Because the primitive humans who were the quickest to identify whether another approaching human was a member of their own tribe or a member of another hostile tribe, those were the ones who survived the best and reproduced the most. So over time humans actually became hard-wired to identify and categorize each other in an instant! o.0

That being said, I think it leads to all sorts of problems in our current society and I try not to stick any labels on myself if I can possibly help it, whether it be "Whovian" or "Trekkie" or "Otaku." Or brony. ;) I have to fight my evolutionary urge to label people just like I have to fight my evolutionary urge to eat ALL THE CAKE if there is cake in front of me. XD (I might need those calories later! ...but not likely. ;) )
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
I like "eccentric," myself.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that we needed to be labeled. It was more that I was curiousi if there was already terminology/slang.
Dragonflitter that's really interesting, I didn't know any of that. And I have the exact same problem with cake (or any other sweet).

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 04:10:31 AM »
"pony fan" or "MLP fan" are probably the most generic.  While the majority of pony fans do collect toys or merch, it's not 100%.  "MLP collector" or "Broke" would apply to those that do.  ;)
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Tirac

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »
Oooooooh. I think the "veteran brony" title is cool.
When people harass me about it though, they usually call me a hipster brony and that makes me sad.
I still think I should call myself something relevant in latin and leave it at that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal