collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are fans of all Gens called?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: What are fans of all Gens called?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »
In college I took this class on evolution that was very fascinating. The textbook described how humans have basically evolved to quickly label others and put other people into categories. Because the primitive humans who were the quickest to identify whether another approaching human was a member of their own tribe or a member of another hostile tribe, those were the ones who survived the best and reproduced the most. So over time humans actually became hard-wired to identify and categorize each other in an instant! o.0

That being said, I think it leads to all sorts of problems in our current society and I try not to stick any labels on myself if I can possibly help it, whether it be "Whovian" or "Trekkie" or "Otaku." Or brony. ;) I have to fight my evolutionary urge to label people just like I have to fight my evolutionary urge to eat ALL THE CAKE if there is cake in front of me. XD (I might need those calories later! ...but not likely. ;) )

*high fives Dragonflitter...and offers to split the cake*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
pretty sure we're called "super Awesome people, who have cooler collections than most"
SAP WHCCTM.... hmmm the acronym doesn't really work out though.
Saps XD

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 12:46:43 AM »
I seem to remember the term 'Ponypeople' being used to describe the collector community as a group. I don't see it used as much anymore but we used to use that a lot to describe ourselves as a group.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 01:09:58 AM »
I say pony people when I am talking to friends outside of the pony community about my friends within the community. Or sometimes in general statements like "pony people are the best people." But that's more just a way for me to describe a subset of friends and acquaintances. 

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 01:30:16 AM »
The fandom names kind of bother me to some degree... Most people I work with know I like MLP but also apparently don't know what a Brony is (which is good for me because I dislike the term and fandom name)

But I have a manager who is a Star Wars fan (lucky for him Star Wars really doesn't have a fandom name e.e) and sometimes called me a Closet Trekkie... Which really I'm not, I watch the show every now and then and know some of the terms lol..

But yeah it's fine if some people want to go by a fandom name but for those who don't well just doesn't really want to go with fandom names...

Like I said before I just say 'Fan' XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 02:06:12 AM »
When people harass me about it though, they usually call me a hipster brony and that makes me sad.

Well, you liked it before it was popular mainstream ;)
If it was Bronies who harassed you I would just point at them and laugh. After all they get often insulted for liking MLP, so it makes little sense to insult someone else for liking a different kind of MLP. This is one of the many reasons I stay away from the fandom if I can.
Gen Wars is just such a tiring subject.

I think non-Bronies shouldn't try to find a term for them. Not everything needs a label/term. In the end we're all fans of MLP, so why not call ourselves that?
I do not collect G2 or G3.5. Doesn't mean I hate them. So I wouldn't mind if people said I was a fan of "all MLP" even though I'm only interested in G1,3,4.

In the Transformers fandom "Geewunner", a term that is used for G1 enthusiasts, is even somewhat of an insult because it implies that you're a snob :lol:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:07:44 AM by Zapper »

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 06:19:01 AM »
I refer to myself as a pony collector :) I'm only into the merchandise/ponies themselves and don't really care for the show :) I like the term MLP Fan for those interested in collecting and the show/other media :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
Broke.  ;)

Ha!

Anywho, I'd just use MLP fans/collectors.

In the Transformers fandom "Geewunner", a term that is used for G1 enthusiasts, is even somewhat of an insult because it implies that you're a snob :lol:

Funny. I've recently seen the term "genwunner" used in the pokemon fandom to denote fans of the first generation, or "gen 1 purists". It's definitely an insult there haha.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:08:54 AM by Ice Crystal »

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
I say pony people when I am talking to friends outside of the pony community about my friends within the community. Or sometimes in general statements like "pony people are the best people." But that's more just a way for me to describe a subset of friends and acquaintances. 

This is how I would use the phrase "pony people" as well...almost as a description rather than a moniker.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »

Funny. I've recently seen the term "genwunner" used in the pokemon fandom to denote fans of the first generation, or "gen 1 purists". It's definitely an insult there haha.

I think it's the same in TF fandom. G1 fans are the only ones who have a label and it's not considered a positive one.
That's why I'm not fond of the term "Geewunner" or "G1 fan" or whatever, because I link it to someone who always complains about anything that isn't the first generation just because it isn't the first generation :P

PS: Ee! Almost didn't recognize you with your new nickname :lol: I should be around more often.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »

This is how I would use the phrase "pony people" as well...almost as a description rather than a moniker.

Ponypeople is all inclusive - a person can call themself a brony, pegasister, collector, whatever,  but everyone still qualify as ponypeople - that is one reason I like it.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Tirac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
When people harass me about it though, they usually call me a hipster brony and that makes me sad.

Well, you liked it before it was popular mainstream ;)
If it was Bronies who harassed you I would just point at them and laugh. After all they get often insulted for liking MLP, so it makes little sense to insult someone else for liking a different kind of MLP. This is one of the many reasons I stay away from the fandom if I can.
Gen Wars is just such a tiring subject.

I think non-Bronies shouldn't try to find a term for them. Not everything needs a label/term. In the end we're all fans of MLP, so why not call ourselves that?
I do not collect G2 or G3.5. Doesn't mean I hate them. So I wouldn't mind if people said I was a fan of "all MLP" even though I'm only interested in G1,3,4.

I'm pretty sure hipsters these days only like things because they are unpopular though, or at least that's what they are implying I think.
That is very true. People can be so rude sometimes when it's someone else who's being made fun of but then get defensive when they are on the other side of the teasing.
Gen wars are really painful in the pokemon community too. People should just like their favorites and not be rude to those who think differently. What's the sense in wasting time hating something when you could put your efforts into showing appreciation for something you DO like?

Labels can be both good or bad. I don't like being labeled, but I prefer to have a simple term I can describe my groups to people without needing to go into super detail with them. I guess I just don't like saying more than I need to.

Yeah. I've heard the "geewun" insult thrown around a lot. It IS an insult usually to first gen exclusive fans from what I have seen. At least on youtube.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
'Fans', I reckon.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal