collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To all riders - Wintec saddle query.  (Read 463 times)

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
To all riders - Wintec saddle query.
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »
I'm in the market for a good dressage saddle I can take with me to school next year and ride the juice out of! I have strong opinions against leather. I've heard many many good things about the Wintec's synthetic saddles! In particular the Wintec Isabel has come highly recommended. The Isabel is a bit out of my price range (even used I'm having a hard time finding my seat size for an acceptable $) Does anyone here have an Isabel? Is it very worth the extra money?

Also, does anyone have the Wintec pro dressage? What do you think of it? That one is a bit closer to the realm of possible.

I love that they both come adjustable. I think that's a major advantage considering I'll be using it on a range of horses! As far as comfort etc goes I'd love more feedback!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: To all riders - Wintec saddle query.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:31:39 AM »
Aww, im sure someone can help ya out <3
Goodluck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »
I think they are good if like you said you are wanting to use it on a range of horses so need it to have an adjusting tree or interchangeable gullets (which ever your preference)

But if you are going to use it on the same horse always get one specially fitted to the horse. seen to many horse back problems come from people having a badly fitting saddle and that was over a short space of time.

one of the air bags in my horses saddle has deflated a bit so it is not level on his back and even in walk you can see him having to pull through more with his back leg on that side.

but I will say this I find wintec saddles not so nice on the riders posterior  :biggrin:. though it has being a while since I used one preferring leather saddles as I think they last longer. (one of the saddles I used when he was younger is at least 25 years old  I keep being told)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:52:08 AM »
I hope you can get the help you need. I'm afraid I have no clue.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Ayalah

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »
Thanks guys.
cyberunicorn - yes I know what you mean. I see a lot of back issues too! 15 trail horses all with used saddles. We do our best to fit the horses and pad them, but I wish the owner would make some more room in the budget....

Thanks for the feedback! I hear the older wintecs are pretty rough. From what I'm reading the new ones are night/day.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
I have a Wintec 500 Dressage saddle that I've been riding in (and showing, non-rated) since probably... 2009?  I find it very comfortable to ride in, but I honestly don't remember what it felt like when I first got it, so I could have just gotten used to it, but even my eventing trainer when I lived in Florida was comfortable riding in it and she had some SUPER nice saddles at her disposal.

I do feel as though they are slightly falsely advertised with how easy the gullets are to change - it takes me quite a while to get one out and then the other one in correctly.  Granted, it *could* be a user error and different styles might be easier, but I seem to have a harder time than I thought that I would.   (I should add, it is NOT hard to change the gullets, just takes some time and elbow grease to get everything tightened and tucked in)

As far as comfort goes, my Friesian cross and Arab are both relatively... round... and don't have the most prominent withers and it fits them very nicely.  My Thoroughbred, though, has some pretty tall and boney withers and if I don't have the pads situated just right, she shows discomfort through stiffness.  My leather all purpose saddle is currently in need of massive reflocking, and my only other saddle is a synthetic Western that I've never put on her, so I don't know if it's a problem exclusive to the Wintec, or if it's an issue with her conformation.

It's super easy to care for, lighter weight than a typical leather dressage saddle, and I have had no problems with it at all in the time I've been riding in it.

Ayalah

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks Katika! All very helpful!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »
I used to ride in a Wintec years ago because it was light for trail riding. I always found it quite comfortable but it didn't wear nearly as well as a leather saddle.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
Agreed with all of the comments above, however if you decide to go the second-hand route when buying, I've heard that the wintecs are especially prone to broken trees. So if you decide that a new saddle isn't in your budget, be very careful. My always meaning well dad used to buy me saddles all the time, or enquire about them on my behalf, and I have come across a couple with the broken tree when I went to look at them (never owned one, phew), so it does happen.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
Have a look at Thorowgood synthetic saddles. You can get them through Dover: http://www.doversaddlery.com/horse-tack/c/3000/filter/100000000009eq100000000340and100000005813eq100000005820and100000008226eq100000008651/

They make a range of tree shapes, are adjustable, and are hand made & flocked with English wool, in England by real saddlers (not flocked with synthetic foams and made in Chinese factories like most synthetic saddles these days). Overall I find them to be higher quality than Wintec or Kincade and are more comfortable. You can have them reflocked for an even better fit if needed. Best part is they are very reasonably priced at $695. I really don't understand why these saddles are not more popular!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Ayalah

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »
Thanks all!

Radiance - I have heard of Thorowgood before. Honestly you're the first person I've come across who has been happy with their saddles! 4 or 5 people have told me they had a hard time with their adjustable gullets and they weren't as comfortable as Wintecs. I've never had the opportunity to try one out personally. Interesting..The price is certainly better which is  +1. I wish there was somewhere local that had all these to try!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
Some tack stores have "loaner" saddles that you can take for a day or two and ride in.  I'm pretty sure Dover does, at least for some models.  You can call and ask your local places to see if they offer that service.  It isn't that uncommon, since it can help them make a sale.  Another option is to see if you can try a saddle someone at your barn or in your area has that is model of saddle you are looking for.  Even if their saddle is a different size than the one you are looking for it can still give you a pretty good idea of it it will work for you.  That is what I have done whenever I'm in the market for a new saddle, or someone is looking for one and wants to try mine to see if it is comfy and fits their horse.  It works out well.  Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Wintecs, so I can't offer any advice on that front.  Good luck saddle hunting!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
If you are going to be riding lots of different horses invest in some really good blankets and risers/pads/keyhole etc or a profesionals choice smx air ride under pad. I havent used the english one but i have a western profesionals choice air ride that i used for my sway-backed, high withered, arthritic 27yr old gelding and it kept him comfortable for years.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
I've ridden in a couple of different Wintec models and my Thorowgood is much more comfy to me, but it just goes to show that every rider's butt is different, lol! I think pretty much any changeable gullet system is going to be kind of difficult unless you're changing all the time and get things really broken in. Dover does have a return policy for saddles, so maybe you could try a couple of different models and see what you prefer. It's a hassle to ship back and forth but worth it in the long run. Kincade makes a very cheap synthetic saddle but stay far, far away from that brand if you don't want to lame your horse!

Since you'll be riding a variety of horses have you looked into a treeless saddle? I know they're not for every horse & rider, and certainly not for jumping, but with the proper fit & pad they can be really comfy for flat work and will fit darn near every shape of horse. A well made, quality treeless can be hard to find in synthetic and a bit pricy though,  but it might be worth looking in to. 
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Ayalah

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
HelloGoodbye - I live in an area that is devoid of tack shops!! I swear you have to drive about 2 hours to find a shop with any variety! It's odd because there are lots of barns and stables, but most folks order everything or wait for the large Horse Expos and pick up lots of supplies once a year. There is a shop I want to hit up a state over. I hear they have tons on consignment! It is about 2 hours though. So borrowing is rough. I've ridden in pretty much everything at our barn. We have no synthetics though. At my trainer's barn I'll have to ask around!

Epona - Yes I'll definitely be bringing n array of pads!

Radiance - I would LOVE a treeless saddle! I don't think the school allows them though. I'll have to e-mail them about that!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal