collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To all riders - Wintec saddle query.  (Read 485 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: To all riders - Wintec saddle query.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »
Treeless saddles scare me... Contrary to what we like to believe, saddles weren't developed solely for the comfort of the rider, but for the comfort and protection of the horse's back as well.

http://www.schleese.com/treedvstreeless

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
hmmm Makes sense. I ride bareback quite a bit, but not for long periods. I wonder how much damage that does now.  Thanks for sharing that Katika!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »
I do a reasonable amount of bareback riding, as well, but I think that what makes that different than riding with a treeless saddle is that when you're riding bareback, you are physically able to alter the position of your actual seat as the horse moves.  A treeless saddle is going to do what most saddles do, and that's hold you relatively in place over the textbook "ideal" place to sit on a horse to correctly ride.  Riding in a saddle always has a certain degree of firmness, but everything about riding bareback has to stay fluid if you're going to stay on.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:34 AM »
I have a Torsion treeless endurance saddle that I use for long trail rides & obstacle course challenges (that don't involve any jumping). My horses have never had any problems with hot spots or soreness after a long ride. Treeless saddles can be comfy for both horse & rider, but they need to be properly fitted with the proper pad and the rider needs to be reasonably balanced. I wish I could get one of those pressure sensitive pads that feed info to a computer showing how your weight is distributed but even to rent one is so expensive! I guess as long as my horses are happy and healthy I shouldn't worry too much about it. I've known horses that were lamed by bad riding and poor tack fit in both treed & treeless saddles so I hesitate to say all treed or all treeless saddles are bad... it just varies so much from horse to horse & rider to rider. I have both types that I use for different applications.

I hope you can find the right saddle for you & the horses you'll be riding! Sounds like a dream to be riding a barn full of horses all day. Maybe a saddle pad that has pockets for shims could also be useful for fitting a bunch of different horses. I've never had one so I'm not sure how well they work... I can blab about tack & horses all day long so I'll shut up now! :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Ayalah

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
Oh please! Feel free to blab! I'm pretty new to this so I welcome all the input I can get!!

I think they key for any horse's healthy back is probably a fitted saddle. Treeless or traditional. In my case that isn't possible, so I just have to be flexible and do the best I can.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 01:56:41 AM »
You're right! I think for your situation a treed saddle w/ a changeable gullet, plus a variety of saddle pads or a pad with shims might be the best option. I feel your pain about not having a local tack shop. All I have around me is what little tack that's for sale in the feed shops, and it's all western tack.
 http://www.horsetackreview.com/   this site is great for checking reviews on all sorts of tack! Maybe it can help.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Ayalah

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 03:40:32 AM »
Thanks. I'll definitely utilize that. Horseforum.com is pretty helpful too. I feel like I have so much to learn in such a short period! Buying all this stuff is a bit overwhelming! I'm hoping to have the money to hit up the Harrisburg World Horse Expo in February. Gives me some time to do research and an opportunity to see everything I'm thinking of buying. Plus lots of helpful people. Cutting it close though with timing.

sosoftbuttons

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »
oh mate, I just *adore* my wintec saddles!!!!!

yes, i'm here in the uk so probably not much help with regard to getting you one if i see a cheap one for sale local to me, buuuuutttt... my feedback!!

first up I bought a flocked wintec 2000 GP (the older style, not the one you can get now) 2nd hand back in 2002 when I bought my pony, its a 16 inch seat and I cant rate it highly enough! the adjustable gullet was marvellous as I changed the gullet when I changed the pony and it fitted the new boy a treat, didn't need re-flocking at all.

this confirmed my decision to get a flocked wintec isabelle last year. again, I've got the older style (without the indents for the leathers) but I love it, love it, LOVE it :happy:  again, its a small seat, 16.5 inch, but I've never got on with bigger seated saddles.  i'm almost 5'9'' and have an athletic build (muscular but not slim) and everyone tells me I need a 17.5 or 18 inch seat but I just cant ride in them properly, I feel like i'm rolling about on top of it rather than sitting in the thing! but then I do have really long bones from my hip to my knee in comparison to my horsey friends so I guess that's probably why ;)

other horsey friends have got wintec saddle with the 'cair' system but they don't rate it as highly as flocking, some have said the air panels go hard over time and that's no ideal for the horse's back...

best of luck with your course when you do eventually get a saddle to take away with you :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:40:42 AM by sosoftbuttons »

Ayalah

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
I'm also 5'9 and not particularly slim. Everything I have read about properly fitted seat sizes says that I should be in a 16- 16.5! Like you I've been told a lot by other riders that I should use a larger seat (just by looking at me) but I rode in a17.5 a few times last week and I felt like I was on a slip N slide! LOL It seems to be assumed that your height is the largest factor, but I'm finding your thigh size is key. So there you go! You're probably more right then they are!

Thanks for the great feedback :) I'll keep the flocking/cair in mind!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal