collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?  (Read 8451 times)

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
I used to read EQD passively back in the day, but then I moved on to the arena. All I really remember of it was joining an art contest and working really hard on my entry only to never hear from them again. :(

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
Are you guys talking about that creepy photo of trixie in pigtails they posted recently!? Because that was kind of weird! =S

I can't speak for the others, but I'm mostly talking about the drawfriends.  I don't know if they still do (it's been a while since I've looked at a drawfriend!), but a while back they'd tag certain pictures as "saucy" and would link instead of showing the image in the post itself.  Also sometimes Seth just throws up something that could be seen as saucy as an entry header or one of those random late night single-image posts, like that Trixie, though those usually aren't too bad.

I'm very familiar with rule 34 from other fandoms, so the fact that that sort of thing exists doesn't really bother me, but some people find it deeply disturbing.

I do have to add, though, that the one thing about EqD that drives me crazy the most is how Seth always confuses it's and its!  Augh!!  XD

Oooh you mean those 'cheeky' artworks? Yeah Im not very fond of those! I know it is the internet....but dont kids go on that website too!? They shouldnt post that kind of stuff =/

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 03:09:21 PM »
About the april fools, If I'm not mistaken besides mocking the G1 artwork they also were mocking some pics from real customized main 6 into G1 from real customizers from DA ?

They had a caption were it says like everypony will now be turned into G1s forever dooming all stuff including toys the merchendise or something like that ... that's was pretty inmature and extremely rude to the customizer's hard work and how discriminative they can be some people.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
About the april fools, If I'm not mistaken besides mocking the G1 artwork they also were mocking some pics from real customized main 6 into G1 from real customizers from DA ?

They had a caption were it says like everypony will now be turned into G1s forever dooming all stuff including toys the merchendise or something like that ... that's was pretty inmature and extremely rude to the customizer's hard work and how discriminative they can be some people.

I know! Especially G1 Twilight Sparkle custom, I actually really like her! =O and Those G3 customs were pretty cool but ppl were like "why do these exist?" =(

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
I can't stand EQD either... i'm rarely on it.
I used to rely on it for merchandise purposes, but the MLP Arena is much faster :P
The comments are absolutely horrible, and the site owner/administrator doesn't care  :mad: if I were the head of that site, the majority of those comments would be removed

And I thought the April Fool's joke drawfriend consisted of G3 ponies?
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
Between Princess Celestia and all the (sometimes creepy) Trixie spam, I can't stand EQD. I couldn't even begin to wade into those comments. Some of them are really awful.

[edit for filter ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:49:36 PM by hathorcat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Pinecone

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
I'm not a fan. I don't like how they feature sometimes creepy ask blogs. I'm glad they have a no fanfiction mode though.

Mostly, I dislike all the whining in the comments. Everyone seems to get so mad at things like Equestria Girls and feminism.

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
I go on EQD every day for various reasons. And when I read a comment I don't like, I just ignore it. Just like I do here on the Arena. I don't really see a reason for making this thread :huh: There are going to people in every fandom that are going to make comments and/or have thoughts that you aren't going to like. And if I knew there was an entire website filled with those sorts of people, I would just ignore it and spend my time someplace else. Or I would just not read the comments which is very easy to do seeing as they're located at the bottom of each post.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
Silly question: why a no fanfic option?  I'm certain there is a semi logical reason, but most of my brain is asleep ATM.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
I understand that they don't like older gens but that is no excuse for their extremely rude April Fools joke directed at them last year. It was plain immature and offensive.
What did they do?  I haven't really paid attention to Equestria Daily to be honest, I only glance at it.

Here's the thing really, I have deluded myself about EQD, at first I was in favor of it, because it was the main site to go to when the G4 was in its golden age, before everything started to go wrong with it; I always thought highly of it, and even planned on paying homage to it in my project somehow; however, I praised it unfairly, for you see, I had never actually analyzed Equestria Daily...

Looking at it more and also looking at other people's views on it, and it is obvious that it's not the best site for the fandom.  I had seen complaints about how it was run, even in the brony fandom - as you said, it showed too much hatred to the previous generations (which is also bad for the bronies, like me, who are fans of the previous versions, and keep in mind it existed at the time when more of these types of bronies* existed).  If it was really the ultimate My Little Pony fansite, it would show respect to the previous generations.  Even if it still remained just a Friendship is Magic fansite, it would still pay some level of homage to the previous generations, if it really cared about the show.

It's an incredibly biased site as well; it's supposed to be pretty neutral, but it is clearly biased.  I have my favorite ponies, but if I had a site, I wouldn't go that overboard with them.  It works the other way, on EQD as well; I haven't paid enough attention to see if this is true, but apparently, if they don't like a pony, he or she will not be promoted, or even respected that much at any time, not matter what he or she does.  For example, I have heard that, if you're an Applejack fan, chances are you'll hate Equestria Daily, because apparently they don't give a flying feather about her.

So ultimately I've only ever used it to check out the odd thing that's being promoted, and most of which I can easily find elsewhere.  The only interesting thing of any relevance I've seen was a link to an interview with Lauren.  Other than that, I agree it is a very poorly run site, that doesn’t pay any attention to its audience (I have seen some bronies complain about the Pre-G4 hate at first.)

I doubt its worst than the FIM; Wikia though.

*I understand it now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:13:30 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »
I must be tired.  I misread the title as being about not being able to get the Equestria Girls dolls to stand up.  :biggrin:

Honestly, I do not think EQD is any worse than the official MLP Facebook.  Just click "view more comments" to go on a magical ride through Equestria. I love how straight-forward they are:

Hasbro: Princess Cadance and Shining Armor are going away for the holiday weekend – where do you think they should go?

Top Responses:
to hasbro to tell them to make the ponies color correct

She is still wearing her veil and that is creepy and not okay.

I personally love this stuff.  It's so true and maybe Hasbro will take note. 

Some hate on prior gens is unwarranted; however, I think most of it stems from the cartoons. G3/G3.5 was marketed to a much younger demographic.  Most adult males are not going to find it appealing--especially when compared to the slap-stick comedy of G4.   Honestly "A Very Minty Christmas" was the only G3 special that held my interest.  The first few years of toys, however, were interesting enough to stand on their own.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »

Some hate on prior gens is unwarranted; however, I think most of it stems from the cartoons. G3/G3.5 was marketed to a much younger demographic.  Most adult males are not going to find it appealing--especially when compared to the slap-stick comedy of G4.   Honestly "A Very Minty Christmas" was the only G3 special that held my interest.  The first few years of toys, however, were interesting enough to stand on their own.
Interesting.  I personally find G3 and G4 to be very similar, in a kind of heart-warming, relate to the characters kind of way, but each to their own.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
I do go on that site time to time. But I only do it to see pictures of ponies and if there is anything new that is found in the stores.  I do not like to read much of the stuff that people comment on. It think they can get pretty mean to each other and ponies.

I enjoy my older ponies and that is that :)

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure Sethisto is a furry and so....any kind of artwork of ponies in "that way" is probably something he's into? I have no problem with it as long as I'm not seeing any um "parts" on the homepage, haha. ^^;

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »

Interesting.  I personally find G3 and G4 to be very similar, in a kind of heart-warming, relate to the characters kind of way, but each to their own.
Yeah, I find G3 closer to G4 than G1 is, but my comparative lack of exposure to G1 may play a factor there.

Anyway, let's see if we can take this topic in a constructive direction, shall we? :) If EQD isn't the perfect website, as a community hub or just in general, what is? How would you characterize your ideal alternative?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal