collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
The staff writers have a very limited set of interests and zero interest in doing any research of any kind. Any post about toys, background characters, or other generations is almost sure to be wrong. But they post a lot of things before other sites do, if only because that's where people think to send their news tips, so there's that, and many of the fanfics they feature are genuinely quite good.

(Also Phoe is a very fun writer, but unfortunately doesn't post too often.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:37:11 PM by VioletCLM »

Noepse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
Used to go there a lot and then out of nowhere the founder of the site posted a saucy picture of Trixie... That made the site a no no for me.
I don't really mind it to much anymore though, even if all the older generation hate makes me cringe.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
I don't go on there often, but I don't find the comments section on there to be any more hate-filled than any other website with high traffic, to be honest. I come on the Arena more often because although I've begun as a G4 collector, I'm intrigued by the older gens (must admit G2 and G3.5 look a bit odd to me, but different strokes and all), especially restoration projects and all, which I wouldn't see on EQD.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »
The only real experience I've had of EQD is that they used a photo of mine without permission and ignored the polite request I sent them to take it down.
I had an opposite experience with stolen material. Someone stole my photo of my SDCC Funko Rainbow Dash from here, claimed that they were the owner of the photo and figure, and submitted it to EQD. It was posted with credit to the thief. I shot off an e-mail to the owner of EQD with links to the original post and proof I was the owner and the credits were changed the next day.

But I do know that they made fun of earlier gens by taking fanart of older gens from artists, airbrushing out watermarks and signatures, and slapping together a halfbaked banner for April Fool's. [edit for link ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:12:32 PM by hathorcat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
The link was removed because of the language. Sorry, while many other pony sites nowadays seem geared to adults and swearing seems common place, the Arena still has younger members and one thing we are strict about is language. Feel free to post the content of the link or at least an overview just without the language. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

BowtieG1

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
I'll post the rant without the swearing from that deviant art.

"So on April Fool's day, Equestria Daily decided to use artwork of mine of the G1 pony, Paradise. I didn't give them permission, AAAAND they digitally removed my watermark, WHICH IS ILLEGAL BTW.

But I honestly didn't really mind, until I thought about it...
They used that artwork NOT because they liked it, but because BRONIES DO NOT LIKE G1 PONIES. APRIL FOOLS! HAHA.

So the use of my artwork was in an ironic, spiteful way.
Which displeases me.

I've always had a nice view of ED. When they once posted one of my artworks with the wrong source, I emailed them and asked them to fix it, and they were awesome about it. But this time I'll admit it. I'm pretty annoyed.

And not only at Equestria Daily, but also at the bronies who supposedly love and tolerate everything, except the older generations of My Little Pony.

There are generations of MLP I'm not fond of (see: G3.5)
But I'm not an 'idiot' about it.
I JUST DON'T BUY THEM. It's really easy to do.

So how about you bronies try a little harder at the "tolerate" half of your slogan. No one is saying you have to love G1's. But you can stop being 'poops' about the fact that they exist."

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
I personally go on EQD everyday, to check merch news mostly, but I avoid the comments section like the plague.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

BowtieG1

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
I personally go on EQD everyday, to check merch news mostly, but I avoid the comments section like the plague.
If you just look for merch I would try My Little Pony News. All they post is merchandise and the cartoon and they never seem to be too far behind

diamondshy

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

This for me, too.  I'm not a fan of any comment section on news/video/what-have-you sites, I go to forums if I want to see other people's opinions.   :P

I thought the April Fool's joke was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I could see why some might get upset about it.  Stealing art is also not cool, I'm actually surprised that got through.   :huh:

If I may, though, I think most people who visit ED are actually very level-headed and are just e-quiet/don't give the crazies any attention.  You can see them show up in the polls ED sometimes does, especially when they're about the controversial issues--the "I'll wait and see/no strong feelings about x" options are usually in a sizable majority for those.  But just like on Youtube (and any other huge site), the crazy ones have to make their opinions heard as loudly as possible.  And when most everyone else doesn't want to start a fight or doesn't read the comments at all, it starts to look like those are the opinions.

I also feel like I should be more creeped out by the saucy stuff, but I think the Internet has broken me in that respect.  XD

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
Are you guys talking about that creepy photo of trixie in pigtails they posted recently!? Because that was kind of weird! =S

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
I don't know that a lot of the stuff posted I'm interested in reading about.

If I go to the first page right now and I see 13 posts/articles, out of the 13, there may be 3 I would potentially click on to read the full article.

So, clearly I'm not as obsessed with MLP as I thought, which I find very funny. Or maybe it's more I'm just not interested in the same things the 'kids' are interested in.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
But I do know that they made fun of earlier gens by taking fanart of older gens from artists, airbrushing out watermarks and signatures, and slapping together a halfbaked banner for April Fool's. [edit for link ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]

Thats TERRIBLE! >=( So I looked up the April Fools Day from last year... I know they were playing a prank but waaat -_-

diamondshy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
Are you guys talking about that creepy photo of trixie in pigtails they posted recently!? Because that was kind of weird! =S

I can't speak for the others, but I'm mostly talking about the drawfriends.  I don't know if they still do (it's been a while since I've looked at a drawfriend!), but a while back they'd tag certain pictures as "saucy" and would link instead of showing the image in the post itself.  Also sometimes Seth just throws up something that could be seen as saucy as an entry header or one of those random late night single-image posts, like that Trixie, though those usually aren't too bad.

I'm very familiar with rule 34 from other fandoms, so the fact that that sort of thing exists doesn't really bother me, but some people find it deeply disturbing.

I do have to add, though, that the one thing about EqD that drives me crazy the most is how Seth always confuses it's and its!  Augh!!  XD

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
The link was removed because of the language. Sorry, while many other pony sites nowadays seem geared to adults and swearing seems common place, the Arena still has younger members and one thing we are strict about is language. Feel free to post the content of the link or at least an overview just without the language. :)
Sorry about that! I'll be more careful next time.

Thats TERRIBLE! >=( So I looked up the April Fools Day from last year... I know they were playing a prank but waaat -_-
Yeah, I would be infuriated since I watermark my art specifically so it'll look really weird if you remove it and I bet these artists do the same. It takes effort to remove a watermark.

Duster reference]

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
Sorry about that! I'll be more careful next time.

No worries :) Sometimes its easy to overlook.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal