collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your other cool hobbies besides ponies?  (Read 4619 times)

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
What are your other cool hobbies besides ponies?
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone else has two dramaticly different hobbies/ interests? You know, collecting something else totally irreverent to ponies. Does anyone else also collect trading cards, baseballs, shells, even fossils/rocks like me?

I live sort of a dual life, living the best of both world in the fanstasy world of cartoon, anime, and art but I also LOVE earth-space sciences! I am also a member on TheFossilForum, Bettafish.com, and Pokebeach. I also chill out on astrobob.areavoices for the latest update on cool celestial events! If you were to look at my bookshelf, its divided into two parts- the top is full of manga, pokemon collector books, Ikawo erasers, some fantasy books, Nintendo gamer guides, a huge Zelda book, and magazines. The bottom is completely chock full of Astomomy books, field guides to animals, earth-space Science school textbooks from high school, many texts on Paleontology, and animal care books! I do kind of flip-flop inbetween the two worlds, its complex living in both sometimes but it makes me unique!

I actually go out and go on rock hounding or fossil digs in my area. If people were to see me poking around in a pile of strata, I bet no one could imagine me also collecting toy ponies! I love to donate specimen to museums, and my husband and I are about to go to a dig out in the North Sulphur River for some ammonites and marine reptile verts! I love to wake up early in the morning and catch meteor showers-I am big on those! I also LOVE bad weather so much if you couldnt tell! xD  Another secret hobby I have is art! I love to do watercolor and india ink calligraphy drawings.

So what other hobbies or cool things do you collect other than pastel smiling ponies? Tell me about it! =)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:22:12 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: What are your other cool hobbies besides ponies?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
I write and blog (though not much right now). I have a podcast (1 and starting a new one soon, and possibly 2 more), and I used to do improv but I'm not doing it right now.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
I'm in to classical horsemanship BIG time (a la the partnership that was required between military folk and their horses, when lives actually depended on that bond), and I collect garden gnomes.

I'm an amateur writer, but I believe there are several of us here on the forums (as well as a few pros ;) ) and am slowly but surely taking hobby farming/moving towards becoming partially self sustaining.  I've got my chicken lickens and my husband and I have either a dairy ewe or miniature jersey cow in the plans for the next year, and I'm in the process of building a couple of pretty fabulous (at least, that's the plan, lol!) raised beds for gardening!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE puzzles.  They're like a sickness to me.  If I get going on a jigsaw puzzle, I seriously need someone to come and physically move me away from them just so that I do things like, get this, eat and go to the bathroom.  Otherwise I'll just sit there and keep on piecing.  And Heaven help me if I start on Sudoku puzzles before bed!  Yikes!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »
my great passion other then mlp collecting is shabby chic furniture and home wares, i love getting hold of old stuff and re-vamping it, here only a small portion of stuff i have done here........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebellesgallery/sets/72157634294864412/
 but my husband and i have done heaps of stuff for our living room and dining room.
i love going to the markets on pony hunts and coming away with things like pink depresion area glass ware :biggrin:
here is a picture of some of the stuff i have found hunting
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

not all granny :D but with a hint of Gothic, here is my phone

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:25:05 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
ride horses (no shock there though)

I do collect certain yugioh cards, and I like to play games like final fantasy, metal gear etc.

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
I collect old horror movies, esp. ones with Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, Lon Chaney Jr... I just love them! I also collect some Hello Kitty things and I help my hubby collect blue carnival glass.

Other than collecting, I love cooking and drawing comics. Totally not a pro at comics, but I really enjoy it. Oh, and I play D&D 3.5 every Wednesday with the hubby and our pals.  ^.^

Offline RainbowRay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
My most unusual and non-ponylike interest is probably taxidermy! I have a small but growing collection of bits of dead animals, like bones and furs and such! Including 3 whole pine martens, and a coyote tail which I got just recently. I haven't actually done much taxidermy myself though apart from preserving some small rabbit feet in salt (They were provided to me by a cat, and I had permission from my dad to dissect them in the kitchen sink, though I think he regretted letting me do that. It was fun!). Maybe when I have the time and money and my own house I'll be able to do more!

I like drawing and sewing plushies too. Most of my art is based around making up wacky creatures and monsters! I like making animals that are weird and different, but also a little realistic if possible, and I like thinking about how their bodies would work, how they'd evolve and how they'd fit into an ecosystem. But sometimes I make bizarre beasts that don't need to make sense too.

Also, although my main thing is definitely zoology, I've always really liked space and earth sciences too (though probably not to the extent that Lightning Twirl does, haha), as well as things like weather, plants and pretty much anything else to do with nature. Gotta love nature.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
Homework!! :P

I like writing, drawing, roleplaying, and biking. I've tried to get into sewing, and my parents even bought my sewing machine, but I haven't taken the time to really use it! I play video games irregularly, although Silkroad Online used to be my main hobby.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »
*raises hand* I collect fossils too! :biggrin: I also collect skulls, bones and gemstones. The majority of my skulls and animal parts I've found myself but I've never dug up my own fossils besides shark teeth. Finding teeth is easy when you live in Florida though :lol:

I'm also an amateur astronomer and astrophotographer. The summer months aren't my best though because I have such a bad reaction to mosquitoes and even with repellant, they still get me. So I miss out on most of Saturn at its peak. Though this year I did go out and get a look at Titan. Titan is my favorite <3 The first time I saw it (a few years ago) I actually started to cry :blush: With the hopefully cooler weather coming I'll be out with my telescope more often and Jupiter will be there to greet me ^.^

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Interesting subject! I'm a birder, with special interest in waterfowl. ^-^

One of my favorite pics, Common Goldeneye hen and her ducklings.

European Goldfinch

I'll stop the pics here before I get carried away. ;)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
Currently I am travelling around a bit with my family.  We are in the US for another 2 years and hope to see lots, and then we may return to Australia for a little while and then go to Europe for a few years.

Before all the travelling, I was mostly doing animal stuff.  I volunteered at the RSPCA with their dogs and as a wildlife rehab person.  Plus I did a lot of enrichment stuff with my local zoo (I got to handle red pandas a lot).  I also had a small hobby farm with horses, chickens and ducks.  The last year we were there we actually grew enough stuff to sell which was really exciting for us. 

I do have a degree in zoology, but I'd like to do grad stuff in anthropology so I can do some studies into animal welfare from the view of 'why is it ok to treat some animals one way and not others'. 

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
I collect dragons. I like film very much and go to the cinema a couple of times a week. The perk of working there is I get to see them all for free. I also love to visit fleemarkets, not only for ponyshopping but for candleholders and beautiful yars as well.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
I write, mostly. I tend to have mini-hobbies that I wear out and move onto the next one too. I'm getting smart enough to never do any that cost money!
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline sacred_tinker

• Trade Count: (+181)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.TinkasTrinkets.etsy.com
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 01:35:52 AM »
I'm into jewelry making (beads and silver work), in fact I'll be enrolling into a course soon to study jewelry design and manufacturing very soon - I can't wait!

you can see more of my work by clicking the banner in my siggy or on my FB link. ;)

Otherwise I'm an avid scrapbooker, card maker, and lovebird mommy!

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 07:38:04 AM »
Besides ponies, I collect Dreamworks Art, Anime items, model horses and Disney's Stitch items.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal