collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fire Scare  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Fire Scare
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
It looks like we're okay now, maybe not 100% in the clear. There was a fire right near our house, so my family was trying to get essentials and keepsakes and whatnot packed so we could leave in a hurry. We just got renter's insurance, but sentimental stuff can't be replaced.

I was looking over my ponies in a panic, trying to decide who could be tossed into bags with clothes and who would have to stay behind... It was really heartbreaking. In threads that ask you to pick 5-10 ponies to keep through a disaster or for whatever reason, it's easy to be kind of flippant about it, because I've never thought that I could lose my collection. I was staring at my 2007 Repro Blossom trying to pick between her and a BnG because I didn't want to leave any pony.

I even had to pick between princess ponies... Sunbeam, Dawn, Misty, Primrose, and Sparkle made the cut. I packed all of my baby ponies, BnG Bouquet and her boys, and the more expensive/htf G4s I have. Parasol got packed, her rainbow friends didn't.

The helicopters are still going over, so we still have everything packed. It's been so nerve-wracking I feel sick (and all the smoke doesn't help.)

Just having to decide "okay, which ponies survive for sure" was so awful. Has anyone ever had to grab their favorite pony and evacuate? Who here has lost ponies in a fire or disaster?

And if you had time to pack for an evacuation, who would you be unable to leave behind?

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Scare
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
oh you poor thing, how scary.
that is hard though, i always think i could pick but in a hurry i might not be able to decide. if 3 hundred of my ponies burn in a fire i might be so put of collecting again so its hard to pick between really HTF expensive ponies with those that are more or slightly common but very sentimental ponies like bubbles and minty or ones you had as a kid.

i guess i would have to grab, glory, sprinkles, bubbles.........eek to hard cos there are sea ponies, flutter ponies, big brothers, baby ponies, a lot G4's, nirvana's
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Glad to hear you guys are ok.  We've been watching the fire from up here... my brother was actually staying in Lolo when the fire started... some scary stuff!  I was down there a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how awful the smoke was... I haven't had to evacuate anything up here... but I almost had to figure out how to evacuate 3 horses, 8 cows, a dog and 4 cats from a big fire up north of the Flathead a couple years ago... that was a scary situation... I think if I had to, all of my G1's are in a tote, I would just grab the entire tote and bring it with... the G4's and G3's would have to stay... If I didn't have the option of bringing the tote, I would grab my Wind Whistler Army.

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
I would have a simpler decision because my prize/display herd is relatively small. My Mountain Boys, Tux'N Tails, and baby Brothers fit perfectly in my quick-satchel. I would miss my Cliff but he's too big to grab in that instance.
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I hope everything is okay! That is one of my worst nightmares. I have so many ponies its hard to pick... but i know the ones I could never live without are my original herd. Most are kept in reachable distance of my room in a hurry but I know others have been misplaced. :(
~Foxtale~

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
:O I'm so glad you're okay!

As for the conundrum in question, after I made sure more important things were okay (my computer, which contains over a decade of writing projects being the biggest of my material stuff), I'd probably make sure I at least grabbed my more valuable ponies (Mimic, etc) and the few nirvanas I have, then go for favorites. My Posey army, restored NSS Wind Whistler, my Flutter pony collection and the Candy Cane and Sundae Best ponies for sure.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
Hope everything's ok now for you. A house fire is one of my worst fears. I'm sure I'd be too busy grabbing the cats to think about the ponies, but I have visions of myself throwing armfuls of ponies out the window onto the front lawn in such a situation.

Elf

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
Hey! Glad to know that you guys are ok so far. 2 years ago in Florida down here where I live there was a very bad wildfire. And it got so bad that they evacuated a small town next to us and we ere under voluntary evacuation. It was burning for like a week and people firefighters ended up I think dieing from it. Back then. Th pony collection was small enough to fit in a box but I have over 300 eyyores and a ton of video game and. Systems and stuff.

Well it got so bad that ash was coming down outside and to go outside you had to wear a mask. Well it got to he point where we could hear the helicopters and see them pouring water on the fire which was at this long one road over from us. My parents had left to stay with a friend out of town. And so me and my friend put everything I could stuf in hiscar. I ended up leaving most of the plushies and only grabbing a few that meant the most. Got all my DVDs and my systems and me and the dog got out of the dog got out of there. As we were leaving we saw the fire wa getting closer and they were shuttin down the roads. And you could see the fire cloud. It was bad..
The good news is that the fire literally stopped about 20 feet from our property.

Now though I think that if I had to evacuate again.. I'd probably just toss what I could in a large tote and whatever didn't for couldn't go.  Obviously the play sets wouldn't go bu all my brothers and the baby's and the animal friends.

We did have o evacuate once before. And in a panicky situation you tend to forget things. But the thing to remember is that stuff can be replaced. Sentimental stuff sometimes can't. But people can't.. 

Cherry_Sunset

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
I know for a fact that I would grab my SDCC drama pony, as I've told many others that even if I sold my whole collection, I'd never sell her.

And probably my original blind bags, Rarity and Applejack, and my alicorn fakie army, because after that, I'd probably be moreso into grabbing my Sonic the hedgehog collection, drawings, laptop, photos, Dreamcast, and my cats, to be grabbing very many.

I'm so sorry you have to be put in that spot :( It is one of my worst fears and something I never would wish on anybody. I'm just glad that you and your family got out of there!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
How scary for you.  As a collector, I have to say that fire is one of my biggest fears.  Saying that, so long as I could grab Cookie monster and with my first two childhood ponies (Cotton Candy and AppleJack) then the rest of my collection really only comes down to money to replace.  Not to say I would not be devastated to lose all of my other beautiful ponies but really, my two worn childhood friends are the most irreplaceable to me.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »
I know the feeling well. My friend's house was in danger of catching fire, three weekends ago. The trailer across the street from her place had caught fire. And we had to hose down the roof. While contemplating getting the vehicles out of the drive. Going back for pets and my medication/her family pictures. Everything was happening so fast, we would have had only a minute or two to go back inside. Not much time to grab anything beyond the essentials.

Honestly if I was at my place, I'd grab my BB Twilight. That sits on my night stand. That's it, I'd be after my cat and my medication,wallet and a few family pictures.

Glad you and your home are safe, for now. Now when I hear fire trucks, I start looking around.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »
Im glad you, your family, and your ponies are ok! I wondering about this earlier, pony collectors and wildfires. Scary horrid thought! T_T

In a disaster or evacuation, I first would make sure 100% my husband and animals are safe and have everything they need. Make sure I have food, some antiseptics, pads, shampoo/conditioner, and water. After I pack everything I need, I would then take ANY ponies that would fit and stuff them in my CC bag, screw all my clothes! (Well, underwear is important so I would take plenty those!)  Im more worried about tornadoes-im all prepared for those though! Funny how im so prepared for them, and we didnt have any this year in my county! Im doing this every year and upgrading as I go so maybe they wont pop up! xD

This is one thing I love about nature- it can reallly one day just say "F-you, (insert city name here!)!" turn your life around!!

Post Merge: August 30, 2013, 10:12:20 PM

Lolol why did it cross out part of my last sentence!?

:lol:

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »
How scary! I'm glad you're ok :hug: I don't know what I'd grab if there was a fire. I have so many ponies and collectibles that I love, I couldn't possibly even choose. I would try to stuff all of them in a bag if I time!
My Wish List

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
Wow, scary!!! Glad you're ok!

I would first grab my cat. If there was still time, I would grab my MOC SS Gusty, followed by my other Gustys. They are the most important to me. :) 

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
Oh my gosh :( I am so glad you are ok :hug:

A fire is the thing I am most terrified of. Like everyone else here there are other priorities before plastic ponies of course but if I had the time to consider them I dont know if there would be any logic to it - probably running around pony room dumping everything into a box. :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal