collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Get rid of 50 things, part 2  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of 50 things, part 2
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »
I'm going to try again too!

Name: Honeycomb
How much do you think you'll get rid of: hopefully 50 things
Why are you doing this: because I feel as if all this stuff is weighing me down
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things: more free and relaxed
What things are you getting rid of first: some things to put on ebay to make some extra money

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
Name: Aquarel/Katrijn
How much do you think you'll get rid of: hopefully 50 things :p 
Why are you doing this: Planning on moving, going to get a house together with the BF
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things: lighter, or a bit sad that some of the stuff is gone but choices need to be made
What things are you getting rid of first: mlp/popple/carebear plushies, I'm sure someone will love them more, my pullip collection, caring less about prices etc, my extra ponies (tradebox), my entire g2 collection as I have decided that I have to cut out a generation, fabric I have kept to make rat hammocks out of, I no longer have rats and haven't made a hammock in quite some time..., the empty G3 boxes I have kept around for way too long.

I'm already on a good path, I keep talking about the pony-xplosion when I took my collection out of storage... sorted through all of the G1s already, they are all sorted in plastic boxes I guess I could take a picture of that
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
I'm in!  I'm on my phone, though, so making up some intro questions.  ;)

I'm:  Rachel (songtoisis)

My Motivation:  cutting clutter to make life with two young children easier, preparing for a cross-country move, and maybe raising some extra money.

The Challenge:  addressing several 'hotspots' of stuff like the basement storage, my office disaster, and the surprisingly stuffed night table drawers.  Fifty things may be a challenge, since I tend to have a bunch of things in a few categories.  I might have hundreds of books to rehome, but they all only count as one?  This could be tricky!  :)

First step:  Find time without the kids and get to work!  I'd like to shovel out my desk drawers first.  I have too many useful and commemorative things in there.  :D

I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »
Yes! I need to do this soooo badly! Having a place to show progress will probably help motivate me  ^.^

Name: Talismarr
How much do you think you'll get rid of: I'll try for 50 things!
Why are you doing this: I'm embarrassed of the amount of stuff I have :huh:
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things: More free I hope! There is some stuff that I really should get rid of but don't want to for sentimental reasons...but I have been hauling it around (through several moves) and they stay in the box, so I probably would be fine without them...
What things are you getting rid of first: I have a thrift shop bag on the go right now with some clothing and old handbags, so that will probably go first! Also some random dishes, vases etc.

I have some things I would like to donate to places that could really use them, so I need to do some research on different charities etc that would most benefit from all my junk! And there is some stuff I could probably sell, so I might try ebay (have never sold on ebay!) or even just selling some (ponies) here on the forums...

I will take some pics later of stuff that needs dealing with and will probably keep updating this post :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
I cant wait to see how all of you are doing :)

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »
aagggh. I got all stressed and overwhelmed and hardly managed anything except getting rid of an old a dog bed that was all ripped up. In fairness, it was huge and was taking up a lot of space, but it was not what I was planning to get rid of today!

Tomorrow is another day ;) i will tackle my 7 year old's room tomorrow. 

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
Tomorrow is another day ;) i will tackle my 7 year old's room tomorrow.

Good luck, GothMummy! My stepdaughters (ages 10 & 12) are staying over this weekend and I am dreading dealing with their room. There is so much Barbie stuff all over the floor... that'll have to get cleaned up before we can even go though anything. At least our oldest is starting to outgrow some things- all she wants to do is play World of Warcraft- so hopefully she'll be willing to part with a decent chunk of stuff. They never get into their toychest where their stuffed animals are in since it has Barbie stuff on top. And they have pillow pets on the top shelf of their closet- those are shoved up there because there's no room anywhere else for them! It took me several years of being a stepmom before I realized the importance of asking the grandparents to buy smaller items for birthdays and Christmas.  ;)

It's about time to have them try on all their clothes from the closet too, to see what fits and what has been outgrown. We call it having a "fashion show".  :lol:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
Got rid of my first "thing" today, as expected!  My dad was in town the past couple of days, so I haven't really had time to go through anything yet, but I sent him home with a TON of stuff set aside for a garage sale that seriously took up a quarter of one of our spare rooms.  Something along the lines of two ironing boards, some hanging shelves, a coffee maker, a bag of old clothes, a lamp... you know, that kind of stuff.  I'm peeling the bandaide off slowly, so to speak, since I was already prepared to move this stuff out, but it's a solid start and I'm looking forward to tomorrow!  Updating my first post on this thread :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »
Ya its great to hear that some of you are going at it. I cleaned out a room today that is going to get finished. I threw a few things today. I even got on the floor and cleaned it all with a bucket of water and wash clothe. This room is in the basement and has concrete floor. The wall are either the studs or have some insulation on them. Its bar bones still. There was sheetrock dust and old dust with dead bugs in the corners. It nice and clean now!!! Now to get the rest of the 2 by 4's and sheetrock to finish it :)  This might be my pony room someday, but then I am not sure if I will keep them in the other room. Will just have to wait and see.

I will be going threw it all in a few days to see what else I can get rid of.  I think that I got rid of 5 things today.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
Didn't get rid of any "things" yet though I received 3 records today and a book today so I need to get rid of four things to balance that out.   Anyhow, here's my first space to tackle! Then on to the hall closet, and the living room closet (no light, super hard to see!)

This is my desk. I spend a lot of time here and it's a little cluttered which can cut into my creativity.  So.. it's gotta be shaped up!

BEFORE

Yep, I buy a lot of sodas... there's a plush Luna, an otter, tape, notebooks, a planner, cds, picture frames, styrofoam, toys and bits and bobs. Needs to be gone through and organized!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »
I just got rid of 63 ponies in the last few weeks... I am not sure how many different things I could part with though. Ha.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »
Haha, StoryDreamer, I added more today too (I'm keeping my updates to my original reply...I know there will be a lot!)

I, too, buy a lot of sodas...my desk looks like yours right now!

Himmie! 63?!  Woah! Well, that was 50 things fast :lol:

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
So sleepy  -_- Helped the kids clean their room. We have to clean out the closet, try on clothes, and go through the stuffed animals tomorrow. They got rid of a few things today- hubby says it doesn't count towards my 50 but I don't care! Yay for less stuff and getting things done!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
I just tackled my side of the master bathroom and am so pleased with my progress!  Not only did I discover that I have FOUR boxes of band aides (lol!  I'm actually going to divvy them up between the two bathrooms, the kitchen, the barn and the cars, because those actually *are* useful!), but I also managed to throw away and put aside a lot of things into my get rid of pile.  Items to add to the list so far today:

2.  Old "beautifying" stuff.  My class just celebrated their 10 year reunion, and I *still* have makeup that I used for show choir in high school.  I probably wear makeup three times a year (Ren Fest, Halloween and my husband's office's Christmas party) and usually end up buying new stuff for at least one of those events, because I can't find the rest.  Well, I found it today and since it's all somewhere between TWELVE and three years old, I trashed it (minus my pirate eye stuff that I actually know when I bought it ;) )  It'd be different if I actually *used* makeup, but I don't.  Also in this category is old old old lotions, as well as several 2/3-used tiny lotion bottles and a couple expired skin care products.  Part of me was kinda sad to see those go, since I really loved what they did for my skin and I know they aren't being made anymore, but realistically, if I hadn't used them all up by now, I probably never would.

3.  Jewelry I will probably never wear again.  I love earrings.  A LOT.  If you can secure a hook or a post to it, I am 100% game to hang it off of my ears.  This resulted in four - FOUR - jewelry boxes of earrings (with like three necklaces and a bracelet thrown in).  Most of these, I haven't worn in a LONG time (again, like high school time) and some were even broken beyond repair.  I still wear my earrings every chance I get, but being an amateur horse trainer and living with two rambunctious, large dogs makes me a little more cautious about the when and where of it.  So... it was like pulling teeth... but I pared myself down to ONE almost-full jewelry box, plus a little bit of overflow for extra backs and a couple pairs that are either waiting to see if their mate shows up through this cleaning process or to get a hook put back on.

I am not going to count trash that I find/make in this process, as I know there will be a lot of it coming!  Phew!  This is exhausting, but actually feeling great!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
We were out most of the day at tennis, but I did stop by the Container Store and a get new record crate to help organize my LPs. I also looked at all of their office organization stuff but didn't buy any because I want to clean THEN buy to know what I really need, rather than what just is pretty.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal