collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Get rid of 50 things, part 2  (Read 6428 times)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Get rid of 50 things, part 2
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
Alright guys, it's time to clean those closets, make those beds, empty out those nooks and crannies, and get going on decluttering!

It's time for Get Rid of 50 Things, Part 2!

What is this?

It's a challenge we'll run to October 1 where you can get rid of 50 things. You might get rid of a stack of paper or a bunch of cold coffee cans. Whatever, it's things, you're getting rid of them, and you're feeling
great!

How does it work?

Multiples of one thing, i.e. books, count as one "thing."   It's easy to get rid of a few books, but I want you to dig deep and declutter hard!  I'll be doing the same! I can also post a challenge or two if you like.

What if I want to get rid of only 20 things?

Then that's your choice! We'll still accept ya. :)

How I do participate? What do I post?

You can post your achievements no matter how small in this thread here. You can also post BEFORE and AFTER pictures. You may also share organizational tips, links to home cleaning blogs, printables to help you organize, etc.

You can join anytime.

What do I get after I do this?

Pride! A clean house or room! 

So..you ready? Who's game?!   Start posting immediately. You can fill out the form here if you want.

Name:
How much do you think you'll get rid of:
Why are you doing this:
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things:
What things are you getting rid of first:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:31:56 AM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Get of 50 things, part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:09:28 PM »
Name: Spiff
How much do you think you'll get rid of: I'll say 50!
Why are you doing this: To have a clean space
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things:  Awesome!
What things are you getting rid of first: Paper!

Gone:
1)  Boxes!  Four gone so far: one filled with paper & odds and ends, one empty copier paper box, one file box filled with things I have for trade/sale (items moved to a dresser drawer), and one very odd storage box I used to think was cool.  Storage box is being donated, cardboard boxes are being recycled.
2) Tiaras!  Haha, I had a bunch of weird items that came with some ponies I bought.  Two tiaras, children's sunglasses, a little doll, etc.  Donating to thrift store.
3) Two reusable shopping bags - got them yesterday from a thrift store instead of plastic bags for my purchases.  Re-donating.
4) McDonald's Monopoly codes entered online & thrown away (I had a nice pile started...)
5) Coke bottle caps - codes entered online & recycled (another nice pile I had started...)
6) Magazines!  Latest issues of three fashion magazines are being donated.
7) Sold TWO ponies on eBay!  Every little bit helps!
8) Package of stick-on reflectors - purchased at thrift store, but not what I expected.  Re-donating!
9) Eleven books of checks (they were free! lol)  Don't write checks, to the shredder!
10) Three Marvel pins I got as a promo at Wizard World

...I've ventured into the bathroom!
11) A mostly empty bag of Epsom salts
12) Two unused sponges (going to repurpose them for the two CaM Design Labs I'm trying to sell/trade)!
13) Six partial bottles of hand sanitizer (condensed into two)
14) A mostly empty bottle of Veet
15) Almost new bottles of Shampoo & conditioner a family member gave me.  Donating!
16) Two sample-sized spray bottles with hair gel
17) Nearly empty bottle of Odor Eaters Foot Powder (...when did I last use this?  Oh, yeah, like two years ago)
18) A warehouse size Tampax Box (only a few left in there; fit in my cosmetic bag)!
19) Nearly empty bottle of soap
20) Crustly looking contact lens case (where did it come from?)
21) Pledge Multi-surface wipes - only a few left, cleaned the mirror!

Found:
1) Rechargable batteries!  Looking for the charger...
2) Printer paper!  A stack 2 inches high - yay!
3) Lab order from my doctor for bloodwork (I thought it was in my day planner! Whoops!)
4) A really nice Burberry box that's now used to keep my magazines in order
5) Post-it note pad!
6) TRU savings card to add to my keyring
7) Sports Authority savings card to add to my keyring
8) Almost new bottle of contact lens solution (I thought I had to buy more! Saved some $ today!)

UPDATE 8/9/2013

Oh no, oh no!  I ADDED more stuff!  Okay, so it all started with getting the mail.  I got a Twinkleshine from MustBeJewel (yay!) and a box of dog toys and treats from Kong (totally unexpected, will post more in another thread)

THEN I went to the thrift store and found PONIES!  Oh, woe is me :lol:  Added to my collection are Princess Cadence and Twilight Sparkle.  I also have some temporary residents (Sunny Rays, Pinkie Pie, a big ole G3.5 Playset, and a bag of unidentified robot toy things...zoids? I dunno...)

The good news: The ponies were in two baggies at the store.  Three in one baggie with a bunch of other junk, one in another bag of junk.  I asked the cashier if it would be okay if I only took what I wanted, after I paid in full of course, and re-donated the junk.  She was cool about it and saved me from 1) bringing more junk home 2) saving me from having to re-donate at a later date.   :biggrin:

UPDATE 8/16/13

I've been...sluggish...about cleaning.  Back at it again today!

GONE:
22) Pile of beauty magazines (recent issues of Marie Claire, Harper's Bazaar, etc.  5 total, but so heavy!)
23) Clinique makeup bag
24) 10 lithographs that were freebies at Wizard World
25) Two comic books that were freebies at Wizard World
26) Big 'old book about Zombies
27) Bottle of Nivea body lotion (going back to Target, this stuff STINKS)
28) Second bottle of Nivea body lotion was almost gone - slaped the remainder on my legs and threw the bottle out!
29) Venus razor shower caddy-thing.
30) Filter for old vacuum - I had washed it out three months ago and in the meanwhile bought a new vacuum XD
31) 4 partial bottles of cleaning stuff: bottle/can of Barkeeper's Friend, a small jug of Mr. Clean, 1 gal, & 1.5 gal bottles of Clorox.  That stuff was taking up a lot of room & I had no idea both bottles of Clorox were partials!
32) Swiffer-like broom from a Woolite Carpet Cleaning Kit (which DIDN'T work, oh by the way)

This doesn't count, but I rarely drink coffee.  I'm boxing up my Mr. Coffee, Mrs. Tea, and all the little doodads including an old school stovetop percolator.  It's going to save SO much room on my kitchen counter!  Leaving out a french press.  The 'lil french press does it all anyway!

UPDATE 8/19/13

Slooooow movin' on the cleanin'  Maybe packing away that coffee stuff wasn't a good idea...

33) Box of Perler Bead pegboards (there are like 15 in there!)

UPDATE 8/21/13

Here I go again!

34) Mrs. Tea automatic teapot - SUCH a hard decison!  I love this thing, they're no longer being produced, makes really good tea...but I can make GREAT tea with my Frenchpress without cluttering my kitchen.  Listed on Amazon!
35) Mr. Coffee, you're going the way of Mrs. Tea...except you're on your way to the thrift store!
36) I sold some stuff!  Got rid of three packages, including a second second-hand Mrs. Tea, lol
37) Cleaned out the tea/coffee drawer - got rid of a bunch of K-Cups (I don't even own a Keurig!), coffee filters, two cans of old icky generic coffee, and some stale loose tea.

...cleaned the fridge and it looks like there was almost nothing to get rid of!  How awesome is that?  So I moved on to a cupboard and noticed that I had THREE bottles of balsamic vinegar.  Two brand new, never opened...and one NEARLY empty bottle (like 2 oz left, LOL)...

38) Fridge/Kitchen cabinets:  Bag of Baby Spinach I forgot about  that went bad (eep, I keep doing that!) & nearly empty bottle of balsamic vinegar.

UPDATE 9/3/2013

Less than a month left!  I haven't been feeling my best, so cleaning has fallen by the wayside.  Still feeling horrible, but as long as I can sit for a few minutes, I can clean out a drawer!

39) The Game of Life in a Collector's Tin (oh, I love this game, but I have no one to play with...womp womp.  My $1 thrift store find is going back to the thrift store!)
40) A box!  I had a large box for Christmas cards.  Combined them with my "All Purpose" greeting cards.  Gave the box to my mom (it's too purdy & has 1,000+ uses! I <3 boxes)

UPDATE 9/27/2013
Wow!  I was up to 40?!  This is going to be easy-peasy!  Okay, so I did lose track of what I've gotten rid of.  I mean, I've been thrifting, buying on eBay, trading, etc.  HOWEVER, I know I have less stuff than I did since my last update.  How do I know?  One of my two sales bins is EMPTY!  Yay!  Plus, another bin (maybe I should say drawer?  It's an organization unit-thing...anyway...) is nearly empty because that's where I was storing my bubble wrap/envelopes.

I am at it again today!

41) Cardboard!  I was kinda-sorta hoarding cardboard boxes for mailing bigger items.  What I did was figure out what I have to sell/trade and put them in boxes now.  All the spare boxes are outta here!

42)...working on this right now!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:00:34 PM by LittleSpiffy »

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »
I'll try again! This time I have a sales thread, and a lot less stuff I have to keep. (I just sold 20 someodd blind bags. :P )

Name: Daniel
How much do you think you'll get rid of: Aiming for 50!
Why are you doing this: I have obsessive compulsive tendencies and I need my room not to look so trashed all the time. Plus, I could always use the money from selling ponies/exchanging books. :)
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things: Refreshed and excited!
What things are you getting rid of first: I'm picking out some books to take to Hastings, and I have lots of ponies I'll work harder to sell. I also have lots of opened packaging to give away or throw out, and stock piles of hats and winter accessories. Basically, books, ponies, and tons of stuff in my closet.

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have things I don't think I'll be able to let go this time either, like my cat's bed. I miss her too much.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Oh I cant wait to see the after picture :)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
LoL, yo, Primbrose!  I have the same set of rubber bins XD

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
Name: Spiff
How much do you think you'll get rid of: I'll say 50!
Why are you doing this: To have a clean space
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things:  Awesome!
What things are you getting rid of first: Paper!

Before:

Update - This is what I have done today!
1)  Boxes!  Four gone so far: one filled with paper & odds and ends, one empty copier paper box, one file box filled with things I have for trade/sale (items moved to a dresser drawer), and one very odd storage box I used to think was cool.  Storage box is being donated, cardboard boxes are being recycled.
2) Tiaras!  Haha, I had a bunch of weird items that came with some ponies I bought.  Two tiaras, children's sunglasses, a little doll, etc.  Donating to thrift store.
3) Two reusable shopping bags - got them yesterday from a thrift store instead of plastic bags for my purchases.  Re-donating.
4) McDonald's Monopoly codes entered online & thrown away (I had a nice pile started...)
5) Coke bottle caps - codes entered online & recycled (another nice pile I had started...)
6) Magazines!  Latest issues of three fashion magazines are being donated.

After:

...but I still have to take this pile  of paper on:

That turned out very good!!!!!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »
Thank you! :)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
A lot of 10 ponies just came in the mail... I'm going backwards.  :lookround:

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
Name: Diane
How much do you think you'll get rid of: As much as I can (but at least 50).
Why are you doing this: Because I hate clutter... our apartment is small... we want to move within the year and I don't wanna carry a bunch of stuff that I never use... to make room so I can better display ponies and Hello Kitty stuff!
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things: I will feel awesome- I always do when I have less clutter around.
What things are you getting rid of first: Some cookbooks I don't use.

I was so inspired by everyone talking about this "get rid of 50 things" that I already parted ways with 10 cookbooks on Tuesday night. I am going to look more at my bookshelf tonight!

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
Name:
Persephone/GothMummy

How much do you think you'll get rid of:
Oh wow. At least 50, I am sure

Why are you doing this:
My house is too cluttered. Two kids and a collecting hobby means things get out of hand.

How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things:
Hopefully calmer, and we will be able to feel more relaxed when we can find stuff... like important paperwork  :stressed:

What things are you getting rid of first:

Im going to tackle my 7 year olds' room tomorrow day time, hoping to find at least one carrier bag of toys to donate,  then in the evening Im going to purge the books from my bookshelves as they are a big mess of ponies and graphic novels and comics and "stuff".

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »
Name: Crazy Cat (Jen)
How much do you think you'll get rid of: 50 things!
Why are you doing this: because the clutter drives me nuts! and I hold onto junk (or just let mail pile up)
How do you think you'll feel after getting rid of things: Awesome!
What things are you getting rid of first: old mail (paper)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
I am so excited that we're doing this!  I can't wait to watch everyone's progress!  I know I need this in order to keep me motivated!

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
agreed this is a great idea! motivation normally strikes me when it gets bad or I watch a hoarding show....this is gonna be way better for me :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
Best of luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
It is a very good feeling to clear stuff around you. Especially in your home, that is were you go to relax after a long stressful day at work.  You go home to clear your mind and not worry about things so much. But its hard when you feel like your getting closed in on. When you have a lot of things around you. You know its bad when you have no were to sit your things at. Or you have no were to put that pizza that you brought home with you on the counter.  My house is not like this, but my mom's is. She knows that its bad and its just getting worse. She needs to get rid of things that will longer be used. I told her that I can try to sell some it for her also. It always good to make a little money off of things that we no longer use :)   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal