collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do People Think You're Weird?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Do People Think You're Weird?
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
I visited Walmart and Target this evening and felt that I was getting "the stare" from people passing by.

Why?

At both stores, I was rummaging around the boxes of Blind Bags while viewing Strawberry Reef's ID guide on my phone.  I made multiple piles on the shelf (unsorted, not buying, and buying).

At Target, the cashier asked me if I needed a gift receipt.  I chipperly said "Nope! These are for me!"  She, uh, gave me a look...

Oh, and a couple nights ago I bought ponies at Family Dollar.  The cashier said "$5.50 for these?!"  to which I replied "They're collectible!"  *dies*

Maybe it's me...maybe I'm too enthusiastic?  :blush:

I want to hear your shopping stories.  I know you have them!

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Re: Do People Think You're Weird?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
I was waiting to reply until the thread moved.  :lol:

Sometimes I get that stare. Often kids look at me, although I think they're probably just in awe that you're still allowed to go buy toys as a grown up. Once in a while I get the "so this is for your daughter?" type of questions, and sometimes it's just easier to say "yeah!" Other times I'll tell the cashier that it's for me- once, the lady at the register at Walmart responded that she was the same way with Strawberry Shortcake. :D

I've also gotten encouragement from employees in the toy section if I ask about toys or the freeby posters Walmart used to have.

So, it's a mixed bag. I get cashiers who just kind of look embarrassed to be selling me toys, or who get really excited about how cute they are.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Do People Think You\'re Weird?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »
I never pay attention to what the people are doing around me. If anyone ever did stare at me I was too busy shopping to care.  I know I am weird anyway and love being a nerdy girl married to a nerdy boy. Life is good.

As far as cashiers go I never give information about what I am buying and why to them. Its none of their business.  I always take gift receipts in case I lose one I have the other.

I am not one to enjoy small talk with store employees. I like to go in peacefully, do my shopping and leave without much interaction.  I find the whole in my face with questions and hellos a little intrusive. lol :|

My husband says I am a sale's employees worst nightmare because, they have talk to me and ask me what I need, but if they don't leave me alone I leave the store and let them know it was because they wouldn't stop bothering me while I was trying to shop. If I need help I will ask otherwise...back away leave me some space.  I am terrible about that. Its just me though.  Its the best way to lose my business to start asking me a million questions or meeting me at the door, "Hi welcome to....can I help you?" Man I just want to turn around and leave.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:59:35 PM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
I will often get the stare, but for a different reason. I usually wear t-shirts with metal bands on them, so I guess that somehow signifies to others that I am a shoplifter.  :rolleyes: I'll have people stare and edge away from me while I'm looking through ponies, and have employees follow me around the store, or give me the stink eye as soon as I step into the pony aisle.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
You sound just like me when I was searching for specific blind bags one time!  I was in the aisle for at least 20 minutes, had them sorted into piles as I tried to read the codes with Strawberry Reef's site up on my phone, and I kept noticing the store employees peer into the aisle.  It bothered me a little, but I let them know what I was doing so they didn't think I was trying to steal, and all was good after that :)   
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »
I have had them ask me if this is for my daughter or a birthday gift.  I also have had works say " They still make these!" I do not say anything unless I am asked.

BigHicks1977

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
I am 6 feet tall I weigh about 300 pounds I have a shaved bald head and a full goatee and I have the biggest smile on my face when I buy toys and IF someone ask if I am buying these for my child I drop my voice even deeper stand up strait and grin  :biggrin: Then I say nope they are for ME!!!!!! I love toys and could care less who has a problem with it and lets be honest even if they did.....READ FIRST SENTENCE lol

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »
this happens to me all the time too. If they say oh this is going to make some little kid happy.. I usually go or me happy lol!
sometimes i just agree.

That's why at walmart and other stores with self checkout I use that..

once I went to ross and bought a pony book and the guy was like "i'm a brony! and I collect the ponies too" lol

Eaglefeather

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
The Stare stinks. I haven't gotten it yet and I'm glad. I do feel very awkward walking into the toy isles alone, especially when there are other people in the isle. And I'm a teen so I can't really say, "Oh, I'm getting these for my daughter". Maybe people take me more seriously because I really don't look like someone who would be digging around for ponies.  :P But then, who does?

Its beyond me why people would care so much anyway about who the items are for.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:21:13 PM by Eaglefeather »

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »
Stuff em!

The internet tells me pony collectors aren't the strangest people to grace the aisles of Wal-Mart!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
I was waiting to reply until the thread moved.  :lol:
Hehe, thankfully I caught my own mistake :blush:

...if they don't leave me alone I leave the store and let them know it was because they wouldn't stop bothering me while I was trying to shop.
Oh my gosh, I need to do this someday!  I hate it when I feel like I'm being harassed by overly helpful people!

I will often get the stare, but for a different reason. I usually wear t-shirts with metal bands on them, so I guess that somehow signifies to others that I am a shoplifter.  :rolleyes: I'll have people stare and edge away from me while I'm looking through ponies, and have employees follow me around the store, or give me the stink eye as soon as I step into the pony aisle.

Oh, that's awful!  You reminded me of something though: a friend invited me to a Devin Townsend/Gojira show and what did I wear?  Bright. Pink.  I was the ONLY person wearing a color other than black/gray.  However, I got a LOT of smiles.  Anyway, some people need to just get with it...unless you have a t-shirt that says "I'm a shoplifter."  That, actually, would be funny...

I am 6 feet tall I weigh about 300 pounds I have a shaved bald head and a full goatee and I have the biggest smile on my face when I buy toys and IF someone ask if I am buying these for my child I drop my voice even deeper stand up strait and grin  :biggrin: Then I say nope they are for ME!!!!!! I love toys and could care less who has a problem with it and lets be honest even if they did.....READ FIRST SENTENCE lol

Hahaha! I would love to see you in action!  Along with a "you gotta problem with that?"  XD

once I went to ross and bought a pony book and the guy was like "i'm a brony! and I collect the ponies too" lol

Love it!  I probably would have lost it and started asking if he was on the Arena.
Stuff em!

The internet tells me pony collectors aren't the strangest people to grace the aisles of Wal-Mart!

I <3 People of Walmart
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:49:13 PM by LittleSpiffy »

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
I don't think I've ever gotten any weird looks. People in here don't really care that much what others are buying, and sales people definitely don't ask questions other than "may I help you" and "would you like a bag".

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
i've gotten a lot of weird looks i'm sure but i dont really pay attetion to it XD  either that or i dont see it. normally i'm wearing a pony shirt when i go shopping so i consider  that warning to everyone XD  either my Lyra shirt my ponies forever or my my little epona.  ^^

at christmas time  when i bouight family doller out of ponys (literally  i   bought  like  6  ponys at one XD)  and then  i bounce up and down when i found honeybuzz, cuas seh was hidden.  and hten went to another and got like..   5 or 6  more that the other store didnt   have i got like almost the entire first wave from  two stores lol  i got a   look  they looekd atme looked athe ponys and ididnt say anyhting.

Offline Mintymints

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Sock collector extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »
I'm still a teenager and more than once the employees have pestered me about looking at the numbers on the blind bags. I just get embarrassed and walk out. The only way to lose my business is to talk to me. Like TulaGirl said, it just creeps me out beyond belief. I work at an antique mall and all of the vendors are so friendly and they follow you and are overly helpful. When people do that I make sure not to go back in there. Its just the scariest feeling to me, and I cannot explain why.
 :socks:

By Sunnyrain~Avvie by Starsteppony on DA

Offline munchy

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
I wish I had the confidence that most of you seem to have about pony shopping! If cashiers ever say anything I always say "oh yeah, it's my niece's birthday this weekend! I hope she doesn't already have these!" and I always make sure to get a gift receipt even if they don't say anything. Seriously my imaginary niece has a great life! It's her birthday almost every weekend and she always gets all the new pony stuff haha!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal