collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do People Think You're Weird?  (Read 2177 times)

appleponygal

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Do People Think You're Weird?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2013, 03:18:32 AM »
I have always been weird...I shall wear my weirdness with pride :P

However, I work on a weirdness pecking order...people out there collect seriously odder things than toys. I once saw a show where a man collected false teeth...now he was weird :P

False teeth? Arggh! That is darn scary! :shocked: :blink:

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
I don't really pay attention to the people around me, and even if I did, I wouldn't care about what they thought :P
I know the staff from the majority of stores I visit anyway, and they know anything I buy is for me unless otherwise stated.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
I march to the beat of my own accordion.  'Nuff said.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
I have always been weird...I shall wear my weirdness with pride :P

However, I work on a weirdness pecking order...people out there collect seriously odder things than toys. I once saw a show where a man collected false teeth...now he was weird :P

Oh my goodess!  Okay, so I had this idea once for a art project and it involved false teeth.  I thought "used false teeth, I bet they're cheap on eBay!"  Um, no.  Apparently used dentures ARE collectible! Maybe people are re-using them for their original purpose (ew)?  I couldn't believe it.  The price for used chompers was too rich for my blood, so  I shelved the idea I had ^_^

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »
Not particularly.  Most of my friends know I collect (and even a relatively new friend who works for ebay went to Comic Con and out of the blue surprised me with Nightmare Moon).

Maybe it's because most of my friends are around my age and remember ponies from their childhood (and some even have kids who like the new show), maybe I'm old enough to not care who knows, and maybe because half the time I'm in the pony aisle my kids are with me anyway.  *shrugs*

I think what has helped was that when I really started collecting back in 1993 (since I don't really consider my childhood ponies as "collecting" since at that time I didn't view them as a collection) my mom was really supportive.  She's a collector too (but of antique furniture), so she understood the thrill of the hunt and finding the absolute perfect item to add to your collection.  So every month we would go to our local flea market together and she would help me spot ponies for sale among the vendor.  From 1993 - 1997 was when I really amassed the majority of my G1s.  So I never had that fear of hiding it from my family or anything like that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:53:19 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
I have never gotten any looks from anyone. I dunno what kinds of stores you guys are shopping at but these people must all be jerks, LOL.

I remember when I worked as a cashier I didn't care what people bought. If they were buying toys I assumed it was a gift for a kid.

I have told some cashiers I collect the ponies I am buying if they comment on it, like they'll say it's cute or something. Usually they take an interest and are shocked when I relay how many I have. I have never gotten anything really negative.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »
Meh, people don't think I'm weird... they know I'm weird. :P  So much easier than trying to pass myself off as "normal."  (Like the advert says, whatever your normal is. ;))

Mind you, I'm in my forties, and no-one looks twice at a woman of my age buying ponies; they all immediately assume I've got a daughter/niece/whatever at home.  And the cashiers around these parts must not be of the Chatty Cathy variety, because I consider myself fortunate if I get a greeting and a thank you. :huh:

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal