collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How/why did you choose your persona?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
How/why did you choose your persona?
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:01:38 AM »
A little background info first:
Even though my post count is very small, I've been part of the MLP community since the late '90s. I joined the original MLPTP in either 1999 or 2000. I think their current forum was started a few years later, but I didn't rejoin until 2007. (Same user name, though; I've always been Tap Dancer.) I tend to post a little, disappear for a few years, return, and so on. I'm going to try to stick around permanently this time.

So here's my story:
I've been a MLP collector and lover since 1982. I was 4 years old and Cotton Candy was my first pony. I don't remember if she was given as a gift or if I saw her in a store and wanted her, but I know it was instant love. I had tons of ponies growing up. I had lots of others toys, but ponies were my main desire. I bought them with my allowance and got them for holidays, birthdays, and just because I was spoiled by an awesome mom. :heart:

When I found MLPTP, I wanted a pony-related user name, but I didn't want to use one that was "popular." It seemed like so many people wanted to be Applejack, Glory/Baby Glory, Firefly/Baby Firefly, etc. I wanted a more "uncommon" name; something that no one else was likely to claim. I did some quick research and discovered the Dance 'n Prance ponies. I didn't even remember them. I was delighted to learn there was a pony named Tap Dancer because I took tap dancing classes for over 10 years. I loved it! Anyway, another reason I was drawn to Tap Dancer is that purple is one of my favorite colors. I was meant to have her become my persona. :)

I'm not currently collecting. I owned a small website called "In my Toy Box" from 2000 to 2008. When I finally decided to close my website, I donated the unsold toys I didn't want to our local DAV. Now I own just a small number of G1 and G3 ponies. I also still have some Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, and a few other special childhood toys. Money and space are the reasons my collection is small. I might start collecting again in the future, but I'm not interested in a big collection. I never was, though. I'm the picky type who buys only what I like, and condition is important to me.

That last paragraph was completely off-topic; sorry. :P Now it's your turn to share your story. I tag everyone who reads this thread! :)

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How/why did you choose your persona?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:19:59 AM »
My ponysona was the result of me fooling around on the MLP creator on DeviantArt (I forget the artist).  I got struck by the idea of a "math pony" in my favorite colors, and Zena was the result.

My username is a pun based on the story of Clever Elsie and my initials.  (The retelling I read as a child ended with, "but because she was so very clever, I'm sure she did quite all right for herself."  I liked that ending.)  I use it on AG Playthings, Plastic Curves, and the MH Arena as well.

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:31:31 AM »
I have random ones but my first and most common is Meta.

10 years ago I found this plush horse.. (If you look up raven aurora horse plush)
I named him Metacon because of some guy, well I came up with a personality for him being my minion and we were gonna take over the world.. Lol eh I was big on short stories ya know..

Anyway when I started collecting I decided to ponify him, for a long time I didn't know what to put as his cutie mark.  Eventually the band symbol for disturbed won.. So now lol this is him..

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have 2 customs in hand one in progress and in the future may commission a fashion style lol.. We will see

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »
I have a pony persona, Nostalgia the orange pegacorn with curly blue hair. She's based off of a fakie I had as a child. I never use her anymore though. :blush:

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
RavenGusty is made up of these things primarily;

my favorite poem The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
the colour black
and
Gusty lol

I'm working on a custom of my ponysona but it's on the sidelines as I have a few commissions to complete and some rehairs although her body is done it's the hair i need but i have an order to make on hair and i'm not sure if I'll be able to fit black into it and mylittlecustoms never seems to have any red shades in stock ever when i go on.

Oh and i don't draw the leaves exactly the same as Gusty's because I just can't seem to lol
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:47:16 AM »
Because... A slug... With spots!

I dare you to find something more awesome! Because you will NOT!

Haha, actually I needed as eBay username that wasn't randompony134567eleventyone. So I tried about a million bazillion combos until I made spottedslug. The pony came later. Yellow and blue because I needed something striking and high contrast for a logo. The long defunct Spotted Slug Collectables needed a mascot. After that she became my persona because I couldn't think of anything better.

But let's just be clear here. The pony's name is Spotted (as in I spotted the slug in the grass! Not as in I have spots!) and the slug's name is Slug, often referred to as Sluggy. ;) cause you needed to know that, right? :lol:

BigHicks1977

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 07:33:38 AM »
your question has giving me a lot to think about I do not have a persona yet BUT I will soon you have giving me my next project I have done a lot of toy customs but I have not done a pony yet......COMING SOON!!!!! BIGHICKS PERSONA PONY  :biggrin:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
Because... A slug... With spots!

I dare you to find something more awesome! Because you will NOT!

Lol, unlikely!  I love your username (if you hadn't noticed).  I do have a custom nudibranch pony by Tiella.  I love love love nudibranchs!  I never named her though.  She needs a name.  Sea Slug maybe?  Too boring?

But let's just be clear here. The pony's name is Spotted (as in I spotted the slug in the grass! Not as in I have spots!) and the slug's name is Slug, often referred to as Sluggy. ;) cause you needed to know that, right? :lol:

You mean there are no spots on your sluggo?

Marigold:  I love marigolds and when I signed up I wanted something that sounded like it could be a pony name but wasn't a named pony.  So I decided on Marigold.  When I designed her she had to have some natural looking marigolds that would remind me of the actual plant, and I wanted a pony that was light colored.  She started out white but it didn't look right so she became blush pink with darker feet.   

I have a bunch of other OCs too.  I think I like designing ponies.  :)

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
My persona, Lightning Twirl or "L-T" I sometimes call her, is a perfect symbol of me. In fact she is just that- exactly me in pony form! Our personalities are mirrored!  It took me two years to finally "find" my pony self. I actually thought up her name a long time ago around last Halloween, but I wanted to wait for the right time to find out what she looked like. I thought her design up during a thunderstorm-I love bad weather!  I made her cutie mark a starbolt- my favorite symbol because it combines our love for astronomy and weather. Shes quite graceful and dainty, very small and petite- but has a big personality and huge wings to make up for being a tiny pegasus. Sometimes when she flies fast, a thin band of sparks and lightning follows behind her path (I wanna note I had  plans for that before  lightning dust come along).  Her hair is exactly like mine, except more bold, longer, and zig-zaggy at the end. She loves working with weather (professional weather pony in cloudsdale) and as a hobby she loves to look at stars.  She is shy but when she makes friends, she is super hyper and always happy! She is fearless and very free spirited, she follows her heart and is a loyal friend. She loves all animals and forces of nature, definitely loves the planet and all wonders of the universe! I feel her inside me all the time, sometimes I daydream about meeting her in some crazy fantasy or even becoming her in the pony world. Sometimes at work I imagine having her cute wings! I only have two pictures of her because I only draw her during violent thunderstorms- thats when I can feel her the most in my heart. Its like she awakens inside me during storms!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:16:42 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
I grew up doing pageants at the age of 12 (nothing like Toddlers and Tiaras) They were apart of the Miss America system. I love anything to do with crowns...and when I cam her my thought was the desire I had for a crown...so Crowning Glory came to be. It was not until months to a year later that I realized Crowning Glory was a G3 pony:P She is white and I love white ponies so I am look at this could be faith:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »
Because changelings can look like anypony, an ability I wish I had in waking life. Why does mine have one wing? Genetic mishap, that's all.

They're also heartless love parasites which suits me rather well.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
My ponysona, Phase, is related to my zodiac sign. I am a Gemini and the idea behind it is she shifts between two forms, angel wings form and dragon wings form, and it is a reflection of her mood. I have always had a symbolical persona like this for myself of a blue angel/Blue demon wings persona to represent me....
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
I don't really have a "ponysona" however, the name LadySiha does have a meaning.... sort of...
My, possibly, favorite video game series, ever is the Mass Effect series.  In it there is an alien comrade you can recruit named Thane Krios.  Now... crazy as this sounds with him being an alien and all, I find Thane to be ridiculously attractive... both in appearance and personality.  If you're not familiar with this game series, you can play as either a male or female protagonist!  If you play as a woman, you can pursue a relationship with Thane.  The petname he gives you is "Siha" which he later tells you are "the warrior angels of the goddess Arashu" (a goddess in his religion).  The first time my character had this interaction with him, I was extremely touched.  I also like the way it sounds. 
When I was trying to develop a grown up persona, on the internet and especially for cosplay purposes (because LostFallen_Angel sounds very immature when you're almost 30) Siha popped in my mind.... but the first place I tried to claim it, someone else had gotten it already... hence, LadySiha!  I'm a grown up, that angel thing sort of sticks with me (for those that know what it means), it honors my favorite video game character to romance, and shows my love of video games and Mass Effect!
If I ever did make a ponysona.... I would call it Siha, it would have brown and pink curly hair and have pink and black feathers as a cutie mark... I'm not sure what beyond that, though.   

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »
I decided one day I wanted to make a pony version of me. Lots of purple because that's my favorite color and the other colors in the mane I chose because they look pretty lol. I chose pegasus for the breed because of my love of birds and I've always wanted to fly My first symbol was a pair of pencils because I drew ALL the time. But in the past few years I've picked up crocheting as defining hobby/obsession and decided to alter my pony symbol to a ball of yarn and a crochet hook. I didn't give my pony a special name because she is literally me as a pony.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I did a super basic formula. Favorite color for the body, my hair color and cut for the mane, favorite pony breed (pegasus, but I might make a winger version) and my talent for the cutie mark (Photoshop icon, since I'm good at Photoshop.)

The name, Freebird, was a nickname given to me by a classmate that stuck.

Duster reference]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal