collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best/Worst  (Read 897 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Best/Worst
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
Just wondering again...

What was your super-duper bestest pony find (in the "wild," like at a boot sale or thrift shop) ever?  And by best, it could be your sweetest deal, your most favourite thrifted pony, that long-sought-after grail that appeared when least expected...

And then, for the flipside of the coin, do you have an ultra-disappointiest worst pony find you want to share?  Perhaps a pony you way overspent on, or one that you bought and found something blecchy about?

:what:

(My best was SS Satin'n'Lace found at my local thrift shop, for under $1 - I don't remember exactly, but she was in the bin of loose cheap toys at the front of the shop.  She was all grotty and stuff, but her hair was still reasonably pink, and once I figured out how to deflock her, she turned out fairly well.  (And hey, it was my first-ever thrift find, and I was just happy to find anypony at all! :lol:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her mane's still a bit on the dry side at the ends, but for under a dollar... yay! ^.^

My worst was a couple weeks ago, when a lady I know told me she'd bring me a bag of "super cute ponies" she found for me - and they were all totally grungy fakies.  Smelly like mothballs or basement or something, to boot.  I thanked her profusely, and I appreciated the thought (really, I did), but omigosh, ewww anyway. :X

So... how about you, [you]?

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Worst
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
I did find a baby "apple delight" from the loving family set, She was in a box full of toys at a flea market. paid 50 cents for her. I have only found 2 thrifting though since Ive rebooted my collecting. I did find lots as a kid but mom would never let me have anything mlp second hand.
:accomplished:

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
Princess Amethyst and Princess Royal Blue in a charity shop for £2.00 each and they are in pretty good condition just a bit of tinsel frizz.

Worst would be Raspberry Jam but that was an ebay lot, she cost me £7.00 and she had loads of pen marks all over her. I kept her though as she does still smell like Jam.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Best would probably be when I stopped in a Goodwill on my way home from visiting a friend, and ended up paying 52 cents for Little Flitter. :frolic: She is my first and so far only winger, and her wings are so perfect and hair still really pink.

Worst is most definitely Glory. Bought her "in good condition" and she came with frizzy hair, splotchy symbols, and was completely filled with rust inside. Ewwww!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
my best is finding a wingless flutter for 50 cents, as for the worst is getting a pony in a group who was brown with rust on the inside. thankfully she was not stained and after a few oxyclean baths later and she was fine.

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »
I found a basically mint TE Quackers at a thrift store once and got her for $1. I haven't had that much luck since!

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
Almost all of my childhood ponies are from flea markets, thrift stores, rummage sales, etc. so it is difficult to say what was the best find ever... I do not remember the purchases of most of them. More recently, my favorite find was probably the working My Pretty Pony with her hat for $3. :)
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
Easy :) Baby Stella....I was so happy to find a pony the first time I found one at a car boot and it was a lovely Baby Stella. And then the next discovery? Baby Stella. And the next time? Baby Stella...

I am fed up with Baby Stella! :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
Send them to me!!!

I only find g3's at thrift now, but I've found a few good finds at markets. My best find though would still be my gumtree lot for $3 each, with heaps of HTF ponies, keypers and vintage fakies (which I LOVE!). My fave pony, Nightglider came in that lot, so it's definitely my best find!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
Baby Pineapple! The new value village opened in town and bam. Mine.

Worst find? The time I was told that the thrift shop had tons of ponies and every single one turned out to be g3s I already owned. /)_(\
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
I havent found too many G1's.. I have found earless Pony Bride, Bridal Beauty who was full of pink highlighter, Bubblefish without her symbol and Baby Cuddles with cut hair. You can hardly call these good finds, but they're my best finds!  :lol: Oh wait, I did find Baby Sweetsteps once! She was really nice.

The most annoying find is this Lemon Drop at my local flea market. Her price tag says something along the lines "rare pony for collecting, just like new". And her price is 20 euros. Why is it annoying? Because I hate the fact I finally find a decent condition G1 pony and its something like this!  :lol:

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »
best pony finds would either be the swap meet when I found Mimic, NSS Magic Star, Lightning and Fireball all in one day- and all under $5!

Or finding a whole bunch of mint condition ponies including an Alt BF Waterlily. This was in the 90's before the collector community knew what they were. Took me ages to convince people she wasn't a fakie :)

worst one was an ebay mix-up. Seller overcharged on postage and sent me the wrong pony. Then refused to fix the problem...

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
I have had many lucky finds. I'm gonna have to list a few of the best, because I cannot pick just one.

MO Mommy Pony at a flea market from a toy dealer for only $30.  I thought that was pretty good.

Tux N' Tails in a bin of junk toys for $1.00.  I also found another pony there too but cannot remember who it was.

Two Dream Beauties and Six Wingers (including Cool Breeze!) for about $6 at a country fair. The wingers were in almost mint condition.

Flower Belle (flower fantasy pony) and the purple Valentine baby both for fifty cents at a yard sale.

About 30 minty G1s with three carrying cases for just $20 at a flea market. I made a nice profit on that one. ;)

Six (or was it eight?) free minty G1s from a nice lady who came into the shop my dad used to own. Got lots of ponies from her.....can't remember all of who they were, though.

At a flea market, a couple was selling a bunch of G1s for $2 each. I got a whole bunch I needed, including SS Angel. :)

These are the most memorable ones. :)   I wish I could remember more. It's hard to remember because it's been  years since I've had an epic find.

Oh one more! A Craigslist ad for Paradise Estate, Dream Castle, Lullaby Nursery, Perfume Puff Palace, Satin Slipper Sweet Shop, tons of accessories, and about 70 ponies for only $150. The lot had some uncommons like a mint Yum Yum, Nightglider, and Baby Crumpet. I thought it was a stellar deal.

My worst find was a huge box of ponies at a flea market I got for very cheap. They were all in great condition, but when I got them home they reeked so bad of mildew they almost made me gag. No amount of washing would fix them. I know the lot had sparkle Baby Gusty, Steamer, Princess Tiffany, and others. There was a carrying case too. It stunk so bad and I could never get the stink to leave. I was seriously disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:08:27 PM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
Best: A mint Baby Snippy for a buck! (I deminted her taking her head off (doh!) but she's still incredible.)
Worst: When I found seven G1s for a quarter apiece, I was so excited... but on the way home I looked in the bag, saw how cancery some of them were (Lookin at you, Quackers) that I felt like I shouldn't have bothered. I love them all now though, so it was fine in the end.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
I got a haul of MIB/MIP ponies and Pony Wear from a garage sale. They were all $2.50 or under. :p

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal