collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A total number of each of the four Generations???  (Read 2012 times)

Wadatsumi

• Trade Count: (0)
A total number of each of the four Generations???
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:16:44 AM »
So, I was searching for (rounded) total numbers for each of the four generations. I'm talking about each individual as one, so not every Sportstime counts for example, but Sportstime as individual counts once.

Of course it's clear to me that generation four is ongoing and isn't to compare in total number with the others cause more single ponies will come out.

But what about the others? If you count all variants, Nirvanas etc. once to the total number - how many are out there?

Generation one should have the most different ponies, I heard more than three thousand different ones.
Is there any book or website where they were counted? I know it will always be only a rounded number for there are some ponies who maybe aren't discovered yet for the community.

Did anyone here tried to count them all?

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: A total number of each of the four Generations???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:59:25 AM »
I don't think anyone knows, but its easily past the 7000 mark I imagine :drunk:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:48:15 AM »
As a collector who hopes to have one of every G1 one day I have what I believe to be a quite accurate list, so this is what I have for G1:

US Total 557
UK Total 152
Nirvana Total (list compiled from info here and ebay so basically all the ones that we as a community are aware of but of course I may have missed a few along the way!) 814

So 1523 G1s

There are also 22 Dollymix G1 characters (if you include the known hair variants) and 12 25th Anniversary re-releases of G1 characters

I don't have totals for the rest of the gens as I only collect the ones I like from those, as opposed to G1s where I want them all (also like them all :P )

ETA: just a note, I have Lavender Woosie in with US releases, UKs include some variants of US releases such as Pretty Beat with purple instead of blue hair and everything else is Nirvana including Euro releases. Only the princess variants that regularly appear are included in my Nirvana count (such as Hex and Bobbie) as there are endless combinations of those :)

Edit: this is why collecting Nirvanas is so fascinating; I just added 4 more Venezualans to my list that I hadn't seen before so the count just went up!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:52:58 AM by Sarah-Bee »

Wadatsumi

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »
wow thats quite a very accurate count. who would've thought, that there are so many nirvanas out there?

it's not so easy to count the g2 and g3 for me - they have too many rereleases like the mane six etc.  :huh:

you know the movie my little obsession? i thought they said that there are more than 2000 g1's out there. i must've made a mistake.....

@sarah-bee: and how many do you have already?  :nerdy:

Offline Sarah-Bee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
I actually would have estimated a much higher number. Unless something's off with my spread sheet (which does an automatic count for me ;) ) then this is about right :)

I have...

US 518 + 1 en route
UK 140
Nirvana 114

And for the sake of it...

32 're-release' G1s (dolly mix and anniversary ponies)
18 G2
86 G3
395 G4 (I include everything here though, like blind bags, plush, anything that's a pony figurine of some sort)
11 G4 en route
62 Customs
123 'Other G1 figures' like Dream Beauties, Plush, Petites, Merch that is any pony figurine type thing

So yeah, my pony room walls are bulging :silly:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:33:22 AM by Sarah-Bee »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
Wow Sarah that's an accurate count for nirvana! I have never even come across a suggested total for them before - wow!

I think as Sarah says the numbers largely depend on how you count them...long hair Bow Tie is she a separate release from the regular hair Bow Tie? Are purple and magenta symbol Princess Sparkle, one pony or two? Are you counting Baby Lickety Split, once, twice or three times - as technically she had 3 releases. White Toosie v green Tootsie? Dark cone Lickety Split v light cone Lickety? Lol...and so on...

With G1 it can be difficult to give a number as different people consider different ponies there own characters. If you consider no variants [i.e. no Euro Twisty Tails just 1 x Twisty Tails in total] and no nirvanas [i.e. no one with a country other than HK/China/Taiwan for FP] then it comes to about 460 in regular store US G1s, then about 70 MOs then maybe another 165 of the unique internationals so all in about 695ish! That is "unique characters" - I guess the additional numbers on Sarah's list probably come from considering some ponies in different releases - both numbers probably sail close to being bang on right, but just in different ways.

Someone will need to confirm it one way or the other but I think G3 is around the 335-340 mark for unique characters.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
I wasn't sure on G1, but G2 I can have a look at...

186 G2's, including variant Blue pearls and Seabreezes.

Strawberryreef's G3 checklist should list all G3 releases, I'll have to download it again, I don't have an unedited version on my PC (I removed the one's I didn't want to get, lol!)

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Wadatsumi

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:59:50 AM »
i personally would count every new release, but beginning with the g2 there were so many ponies like sky skimmer, light heart, clover who were released over and over again.....and the g3 had the main six....
plus would count only brushables  ;)

wow i never thought the g2 would be so less - just 186? that makes me feel so sad for them!!!  :cry:
but at least like this maybe i will have them all faster - love them =3

sarah-bee: wow what a ton you have!!! i'm so jealous!  :)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 04:02:16 AM »
Ah you see, Cat raises a good point, I don't count long haired bowtie or any of the curly haired versions of early ponies (is Firefly one??). Maybe in the future when I have less to collect but for now Bowtie is on once in year 2. I do have both versions of Baby Princess Sparkle though, so I guess there is a large amount of subjectivity for each person; what do they consider different enough between releases to require all releases in their collection?? 

This is really interesting!

My lists are actually split between the G1s that I have and those that I need and I've started working on putting them both together to make complete lists for US, UK and Nirvana (split by country) so if anyone wants a copy I'm more than happy to share, just PM me, whether it be purely out of interest or as a collecting tool :) You'll have to add long haired versions in though if you want them :P haha

ETA: It would actually be extremely interesting to me if I sent my list to someone and they added/removed the bits that matter to them in terms of collecting all known versions of G1 and see what the comparison would be! *is geeky* :nerdy:

Another few points I've noticed from editing my want and need lists together:

- I had 2 Skydancers in there - oops lol (I have two in my herd)
- I include Brandy, Ducksoup, Twinkles, Snowball, Dragons and Bushwoolies as characters rather than accessories so they are in my list, as are the various Megans (and I have 3 Brandies so that affected my total!)
- I don't collect 'non pat pend' Nirvanas, for example, if a pony has a regular release in a country and then has a non pat pend as well then I'm not interested in those (yet - maybe at some point) so they're not included either. Also, airbrush eyes vs stamped eyes for Italy; I just have one of each character in unique colours, not necessarily the different eyes too.

So if everyone had a list of what they consider a complete set of G1s there would be so many variations!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:25:32 AM by Sarah-Bee »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:50 AM »
The number of ponies to collect is TOO DANG HIGH!

(Hee hee, sorry, I had to!)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:04:02 AM »
AGREED!! lol!

Offline Sabrina

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25:49 AM »
Oh wow Sarah-Bee! That is amazing! :)
I've been trying to do my own list because I would really like to collect all the G1s too. I've done my list by hand though because I don't have access to a computer, only my phone and it is just too hard to do lists on a tiny keypad! Lol! So my list is a bit messy because I keep adding things and crossing them out. Lol!
But it's funny about what has been said about how everyone's list would be different because in my list I've included long hair and airbrushed eyes, etc as separate ponies. I wasn't going to but I ended up doing it for completeness. Like I have Baby Lickety Split down 3 times. :)

Wadatsumi

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
still somehow the number of the g1 seems surprisingly small  :P

there should have been more different kinds out there!!!  :cool:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
Lol - and I dont include dragons and Megans etc as "characters" - so that really does just go to show the differences in how we class our collections. We are never going to come to a conclusion then I guess :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Wow what an interesting thread. I think it's impossible to give a definitive number to the question how many G1 ponies since people's ideas of what should be included change (as we've seen in this thread already). Also there are still Nirvanas that are being discovered.

I love reading about what people include in their lists though :)
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal